News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you set the rpm in governor mode?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
How do you set the rpm in governor mode?
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Hi All,
I have a few different ESC's and the only one that I can "dial-in" the rpm, is the Jeti Spin. Unfortunately I burned out my 3rd Jeti Spin, so I don't have it anymore. They don't have any serious short circuit protection, so if you manage to jam them.............like nosing over in thick grass on take-off, they smoke! The good thing about them, is that with the Jetibox, you can set the rpm within 50 rpm. The other ESC's that I have with governor mode, are the Scorpion and the Align. The governor modes work o.k. but you need to run them up with a tach. This obviously sets the pulse width in the timer, but then when you change batteries, the speed that it "locks" on to will depend on the state of the battery pack. Basically then to get a consistent rpm, you need to check the rpm with a tach before each flight.

I don't have any CC or Shultze ESC's, so I would like to know how these are set. The Scorpion ESC's are very good, but figuring out the governor mode is another story. I know that all of these governor things are designed for 3-D heli's, but I don't know much about the heli scene, so I'm curious to know how you guys set the rpm accurately. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Re: How do you set the rpm in governor mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »
Hi Keith

In the case of CC ESC:s it easiest to buy the Castle Link cable and software and hook the ESC up to a computer. With the help of the link software you can set the ESC first in Control Line mode and then in Set-RPM mode. Once that is done you can write in the desired RPM(s). It is very easy to do and I highly recommend the CC Phoenix ESCs.

Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the info on the CC ESC's. It's all very well setting rpm with a PC, but that means that you need to have a laptop/notebook etc. at the field if you want to make changes. This is a bit of a hassle, so do they supply any small programming devices as well?

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the info on the CC ESC's. It's all very well setting rpm with a PC, but that means that you need to have a laptop/notebook etc. at the field if you want to make changes. This is a bit of a hassle, so do they supply any small programming devices as well?

Keith R

Keith,
CC will be coming out with a programming box that can be used at the field.  I wouldn't hold my breath as to when.  CC said it is in the "works".
As far as a laptop at the field, yes it is a bit of a hassle, but when you get your set up "dialed in" I almost never use it.  There are other ways to accomodate different rpm settings of the CC esc without using a laptop.

Besides, it seems that you're having a bit of a hassle now getting the governor working on your set up.   :)
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »
Keith,
As yet the answer is "no", but Andreas says that CC told him they were planning to come out with one.

However there is a trick I have used to dial in a motor.

The Set RPM mode of the CC Phoenix allows you to choose 3 rpms, one for throttle<50%, one for >50% but less than 100%, and finally one for 100%.

So you could simply have 3 values ~200 rpm apart (or whatever you want), and then simply adjust the timer/throttle to choose the value you wanted.

I do note that one shouldn't assume that you know exactly where 100% is though (probably also true for the 50% point too). On my CC ESC, 100% seemed to be somewhere at about ~80-90% of the Timer setting. However this you could figure out in the garage with no prop on before going out to the field.

I found out the hard way-- I was running my timer/throttle in linear increase mode, trying to take advantage of having 3 throttle settings at my beckon call. At takeoff the timer throttle was set at ~35%, which gave me 7600rpm (my first rpm setting for takeoff). After the 3rd level lap after takeoff, the throttle transited the 50% point and the rpm goes up the 8000 rpm (normal flying rpm). For this particular run I had set 100% throttle to be back at takeoff rpm so when the throttle hit ~100%, it would throttle back and setup a nice landing approach.
Imagine my surprise when just before the clover, the plane throttles back! Good thing it was just before! Anyway I realized that the ESC version of % throttle is not a one-to-one match to a pulse between 1ms ("off" on my timer) and 2ms ("WOT" or so I thought).

So I decided to lose that "cute" landing feature.

I will say that once setup and figured out, the timings seem pretty fixed to me.

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
Hi all!

Yes, CC will most probably release a programming box, they says its under development right now. Mr. Ford at CC wanted one himself and that is a good sign.  ;D Too bad he doesnt already have one thou...

As Alan (the E-CL oracle  ;D) said, use all three RPMs and switch between them with the timer.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:31:42 PM »
Thanks for your comments so far, but nobody is telling how they actually set their chosen rpm. My question is only reffering to those esc's with governor mode. Do you use a tach, and set the timer's pulse width up and down until the rpm is what you need? Do you do this before each flight? I know that Pat McKenzie has a timer with a digital pot that is almost like a needle valve. The point that I'm trying to make is that most governor modes can still vary if the throttle stick, or in our case, the pulse width changes. Even if this pulse width is fixed and the motor fires up..........sorry........runs up with a different load or a battery that is not exactly the same as when you made the setting, then the governor will lock in at a different rpm. The Jeti Spin however, only needs a pulse width that is a bit greater than idle to kick the motor into whatever you have set the rpm to, and it will hold the set rpm to within 50 rpm. You actually set an upper limit and a lower limit, and you can do this within 50 rpm. This is what Igor uses on his 4/2/4 experiments with the gyro and power sensors. I am now monitoring the rpm to make my own "external governor".

I flew my test profile model without any governor again the other day. I was playing around with my own timer that adds power with time, like the JMP. I also tried using the PIC chip to monitor the battery voltage and add pulse width to compensate. This all "sort-of" works, but the motor still runs like a really bad glow engine, and the rpm varies about 1000 rpm as the load changes. My programming of these PIC chips leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm getting better all the time. My rpm monitor seems to work better.....I'll flight test it today.

Sure the obvious question is why don't I just buy another Jeti, CC or Shultze ESC? This is simply because I enjoy experimenting and you can buy really good esc's now that don't cost an arm and a leg. There is a good market now for promoting C/L stunt to more newcomers with this quiet technology that can be flown on an any open space like sports fields and parks etc. The mass market sales are not for C/L so the ESC manufacturers do not see any need for designing special stuff for us. Flying stunt without a good governor really sucks, so I was just curious to hear from others as to how they get around this hassle. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:21:29 AM »
Hi Keith
I have 2 Old Time Stunt machines set up as you describe, with simple ESC's (no governor) using Will Hubin's timers with throttle setting using a pot (like a needle valve) and with throttle-up capability.  He sells two versions of that timer: one that adjusts RPM by some fixed schedule, and another that lets you determine how much gain you get over the course of the flight.  The  fixed mode timer holds lap speed to within a about .1 to .15 seconds over course of the OTS flight (shorter than F2B) so that is pretty good.

Electric motors all govern themselves to some extent automatically; they always try to deliver the RPM that is commanded.  I would think that even the simple ESC approach will work reasonably well as long as conditions are pretty good - maybe even as well as a lot of IC.  I would catagorize it as still much easier to set-up and use than a IC engine.

...but my F2B birds will continue to use Phoenix ESC's!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:49 AM »
Keith,
On my CC ESC, I plug the ESC into the PC, and then on the governor window I type in the 3 desired rpms. So for rpm #1 (takeoff) (throttle<50%)  I type 7600, and for rpm #2&3 I type 8000 (throttle >50%&<100%, and =100% respectively).

I have to tell the software that my motor has 14 magnets inside---that's what the ESC is keeping track of, 14 pulses =1 revolution of the motor. If I had a motor with 12 magnets, I would have to change that parameter to "12" for the ESC to get the correct rpm.

I don't have to know anything about the pulse width--in the "Set RPM" mode.

Kim Doherty

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
Thanks for your comments so far, but nobody is telling how they actually set their chosen rpm. My question is only reffering to those esc's with governor mode. Do you use a tach, and set the timer's pulse width up and down until the rpm is what you need? Do you do this before each flight? I know that Pat McKenzie has a timer with a digital pot that is almost like a needle valve. The point that I'm trying to make is that most governor modes can still vary if the throttle stick, or in our case, the pulse width changes. Even if this pulse width is fixed and the motor fires up..........sorry........runs up with a different load or a battery that is not exactly the same as when you made the setting, then the governor will lock in at a different rpm.

This all "sort-of" works, but the motor still runs like a really bad glow engine, and the rpm varies about 1000 rpm as the load changes.
Sure the obvious question is why don't I just buy another Jeti, CC or Shultze ESC?  Flying stunt without a good governor really sucks, so I was just curious to hear from others as to how they get around this hassle. Thanks.

Keith R

Hi Keith,

I hate to see a friend struggling  HB~>  I set my rpm by using a tach while turning the "Electronic Needle Valve" on our timer/processor. This sets the PW and it is sent to the ESC. The Schulze ESC will produce the requested RPM and will not vary by more than 20 rpm. There is no variance in PW or in RPM selected EVER! The voltage of the battery or the load on the motor is not relevant unless there is not enough volts or amps to satisfy the current demanded by the ESC. (This was not the case prior to the development of the Schulze 18.46k F2B control line specific ESC. At the 2006 W/C my rpm would vary by as much as +- 250-300 rpm) Any variance you see will be a result of a non control line specific ESC using programming designed for R/C where there is noise, potential signal interruptions, framing issues etc. and thus the filtering and other processing sets a different rpm.

Let me save you some time and grief. You will not build your own ESC with world class governor mode in your lifetime. Governor modes are as different as night and day. Chopsticks is easy, Beethoven takes years of work. Good governor mode needs Beethoven skill. Pat and I had a discussion about building our own and it lasted about 30 seconds. (And we have at least Mozart level capability)

This all "sort-of" works, but the motor still runs like a really bad glow engine, and the rpm varies about 1000 rpm as the load changes.
Sure the obvious question is why don't I just buy another Jeti, CC or Shultze ESC? Flying stunt without a good governor really sucks,

Duh!,

I feel your pain!!   y1    ;D

Let's keep this simple. IMHO a Schulze 18.46k F2B ESC with ANY timer is better than any other setup. Others would agree.

Kim.   :)

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »
>>>Others would agree.<<<

I do not :- ))))))))))))))))) ... setting directly RPM on digital display on field is for me the best way :-)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
Hi Keith,

I hate to see a friend struggling  HB~>  I set my rpm by using a tach while turning the "Electronic Needle Valve" on our timer/processor. This sets the PW and it is sent to the ESC. The Schulze ESC will produce the requested RPM and will not vary by more than 20 rpm. There is no variance in PW or in RPM selected EVER! The voltage of the battery or the load on the motor is not relevant unless there is not enough volts or amps to satisfy the current demanded by the ESC. (This was not the case prior to the development of the Schulze 18.46k F2B control line specific ESC. At the 2006 W/C my rpm would vary by as much as +- 250-300 rpm) Any variance you see will be a result of a non control line specific ESC using programming designed for R/C where there is noise, potential signal interruptions, framing issues etc. and thus the filtering and other processing sets a different rpm.

Let me save you some time and grief. You will not build your own ESC with world class governor mode in your lifetime. Governor modes are as different as night and day. Chopsticks is easy, Beethoven takes years of work. Good governor mode needs Beethoven skill. Pat and I had a discussion about building our own and it lasted about 30 seconds. (And we have at least Mozart level capability)

Duh!,

I feel your pain!!   y1    ;D

Let's keep this simple. IMHO a Schulze 18.46k F2B ESC with ANY timer is better than any other setup. Others would agree.

Kim.   :)

Kim please check you PM.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »
Wow...thanks for the responses. Hi Kim.............I said I was curious....not struggling. Do you set the rpm on your "needle valve" ( I take it that it's one of Pat's?) before each flight? The Jeti, as I said does not use the pulse width to set the rpm, it just triggers the internal setting for the pre-set governor. Once it's set, that's that.

The setting of the CC with a take-off and landing program would be illegal in F2B events. This is the problem with ESC's with governor mode that disable the brake feature. The F2B rules need the prop to be turning so slowly that the individual blades can clearly be seen before touch down. This was done to prevent any unfair advantage from the electric models by programming the landing.

Thanks also for the advice about building an esc.......I wasn't considering that, not at all. I'm using an rpm sensor to monitor the revs, and I use this to adjust the pulse width from the timer/throttle gadget to keep an almost constant speed. This seems to work better than merely adding pulse width with time. I flew my test model today with this system, and it makes a nice difference. I'm getting a little hunting around the dead band that I've set, and as my programming gets better, I'll sort that out. I'm actually having plenty of fun with the PIC chips, because I've never tried this stuff before. I'm battling to figure out the assemble language programming, so I've resorted to using a version of Basic, and this I've done years ago when the old Apple 2 computers were the thing.... in the old steam-driven days. I've made many timers with adjusting the pulse width with time, and also monitoring the battery voltage, so this idea is just something more to learn from. I may weaken and buy another Jeti for my serious stunter, and with my new timer, it should shut down fast enough it I jam the prop!

You can certainly fly reasonably well with a standard esc and a JMP or any timer with just a simple pulse width output. This works reasonably well if the battery has more than ample power and a low internal resistance.......BUT....the governor system is better.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
Keith,

The current firmware and software for CC Phoenix ESCs allow you to set the brake to 100% (hard) when you are in control line mode with the governor function working!

Sometime back I decided to bite the bullet and buy a CC Phoenix 45 ESC and I am sold on them. I picked up a couple of additional CC 45s on Ebay for between $55 and $65 and they also work perfectly.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 12:54:19 PM »
     For the CC Set RPM mode, I found that pulse widths up to about 1.50 ms give RPM #1, up to about 1.88 ms give RPM #2, and higher pulse widths give RPM #3. So any timer that can provide these pulse widths can access them. One problem is giving adequate warning at the end of flight time. For example, if you're using the High RPM normally, you're just in the range for RPM #1 and you won't detect any change when the pulse width drops (unless it drops to power off!).
     But it isn't difficult to make a timer that specifically make its easy to select each RPM and also provides an end-of-flight warning. I program a pot to tell it to send out only three pulses: (1) in the RPM #1 range (fully counterclockwise on the RPM pot), (2) in the RPM #2 range (for anything in the middle), and (3) in the RPM #3 range (fully clockwise). And for the warning, the program chooses #1 if #2 or #3 is used for the flight and #3 if #1 is used for the flight.
     Because a timer that is optimized for Set RPM and another optimized for governed RPM mode aren't compatible, one of my timers has a slide switch that allows the user to choose one or the other mode, just before use. This permits the user to determine the three RPMs that work best under varying field conditions, using the governed RPM mode, and then use the Set RPM mode to select the appropriate RPM from these three (without using a tach or any connection to the timer) at the field. But if you just want to use the Set RPM mode, the timer can be as simple and field adjustable as one pot for flight time and another pot to choose the RPM.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:49 PM »
I second what Will says. Having that functionality was very useful when I was setting up the Vector and the CC ESC. I knew roughly where I wanted to be, so I set up 3 rpm's , and then a 2 minute flight time. It made it easy to zero in on where I wanted to be. I like the set rpm mode of the CC because there is no ambiguity of trying to figure out pulse widths (although that is also a way to go).

If I wasn't so into having a takeoff rpm and then a cruise for my "normal" flying, then the functionality in his timer and the CC Set RPM mode easily lets you program a fair weather rpm, a modestly windy rpm, and finally NATS weather rpm! LL~

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
       Actually, because I (foolishly) program each timer/flight manager just before sending it, it is relatively easy to add special features--such as a reduced RPM for takeoff and initial laps. I could program for a fixed RPM or for a fixed-reduced-RPM for that beginning phase of flight, if a governed RPM mode is used; or utilize one of the three RPMs if the Set RPM mode is used. I just need to know which to do and for how long during the start of the flight time. In the worst case, I guess I could add a separate pot just to make that time also user-adjustable...Ouch!

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
O.K. so what you guys are saying, is that the CC is doing the work here and not the timer, which can only set a pulse width, or series of pulse widths. If the CC has 3 governor mode settings that lock onto those 3 rpm settings, the actual revs are then monitored by the internal hardware/software of the CC esc. So the timer only needs to set a start pulse width greater than 1.0 ms, and then go back to 1.0 ms after the preset time. Is this correct?

If you use Will's timers that offer various settings, then are you referring to the non-governor modes? The pulse width is then not an solid reference to rpm, and it will then vary with load and battery voltage. Unless the CC's governor mode follows the pulse width, but that seems counter productive.

Just by the way, I flew my system with feedback from the rpm sensor on a standard cheap Hobbywing esc with no governor mode. I sorted out my program so that it has no more hunting. It was rock solid and felt to me like my old Jeti governor. This is the best result that I have had so far. I stored the shut-of rpm in the PIC chip and it was within a few rpm of the take-off setting. I hammered the corners hard and the speed stayed solid up hill and downhill. I am encouraged to keep on with this thing. The neat thing is that I was using bad components. The MVVS 4,6/1120 in-out runner has a high internal resistance and so does the Evolite 2500 mAh battery pack. This would have showed up the system badly but it felt solid all the way, and I can enable the brake. I am going to call the timer/controller "Beethoven!"..........sorry Kim S?P

Keith R
Keith R

Alan Hahn

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
O.K. so what you guys are saying, is that the CC is doing the work here and not the timer, which can only set a pulse width, or series of pulse widths. If the CC has 3 governor mode settings that lock onto those 3 rpm settings, the actual revs are then monitored by the internal hardware/software of the CC esc. So the timer only needs to set a start pulse width greater than 1.0 ms, and then go back to 1.0 ms after the preset time. Is this correct?

If you use Will's timers that offer various settings, then are you referring to the non-governor modes? The pulse width is then not an solid reference to rpm, and it will then vary with load and battery voltage. Unless the CC's governor mode follows the pulse width, but that seems counter productive.
<snip>..
Keith R

Yes, it is the CC ESC which has the governor mode software, the timer just establishes a throttle setting.

In "Normal" governor mode, the timer interprets the pulse width as a rpm setting, and as long as the pulse width stays constant, the ESC will hold that rpm (limited by the total volts available to the ESC from the battery of course). I think Dean Pappas knows the mapping of the pulse width to rpm setting. In the "Normal" mode, CC has a "high" and "low" governor setting, which is related to the rpm you are trying to govern on.

The "Set RPM" mode (the one I use) simply allows me to set target rpms (3 in total), each target depending on the timer Pulse width output setting (as I and Will have indicated). I like it because I can remember my target from year to year, while I don't always remember my timer output setting. I am not sure what others are using (I think Normal Governor mode is the most used).

And since last summer, the CC has had the brake option enabled, so that isn't an issue (anymore).

You pay extra money to have a good governor, it isn't a trivial function as Kim has correctly pointed out.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »
Thank again Alan, now I see how the CC works with Will's timer. My Align governor will not always lock onto the same rpm with the same pulse width. I have to do this with a tach before each flight. The Scorpion is much the same. I can certainly agree with you and Kim about a good governor being essential. This is why I miss the Jeti. I also believe that you get what you pay for..........but only to a certain degree. At some stage it can be overdone. The winners in serious competition have demonstrated clearly that you can win with more than one system. Richie Kornmeier just won the Euro champs with a golden oldie...ST 60, standard silencer, and wooden hand-made propeller. Then there were Igor and Jiri Vejmola with electric, and followed by everything from the tuned pipe brigade to the 4-bangers and the rest, and Rob Metkemeijer's new .77 glow with a long stroke and 6 ports. Igor used one pack of A123 that is built in to his model, others use Lipo's. The bottom line is that this amazing sport of ours shows that there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat.

I find that a constant speed through any attitude and maneuver is the best compromise to give the pilot a good confident performance. The trainer that I'm using for my experiments is a simple unflapped, very basic trainer that I called the EZE 40(Easy). I had a slightly different version for beginners to learn on years ago. It was powered by the old Tower Hobbies 40 and used a stock APC 11 x 5 prop. It flew well enough to learn on, but when I dieselled the Tower it became a contest winner for the kids. The real difference was that they all had total confidence with it in the wind. In nice conditions almost anything works. They knew that the diesel would thump out a solid rpm for the whole flight and would never flame out or go sick and slow down. They didn't understand why, but they knew that all they had to do was fly the plane, and it would go where they steered it.

Now my new Eze 40 had an Enya SS 40 in it, and it runs quite well. I modified the nose to play with electric motors, and I have tested plenty in it without concern about scratching or wrecking the thing. Without the governor it slows down in the climbs, speeds up on the downhills, and of course, slows down overall as the battery drops. I made my timer increase pulse width with time, and also monitored the battery voltage, but there is obviously no reference to the rpm, so the flight performance is not very good. When I added the rpm sensor this same basic model now flies really well, like it did with the Jeti. In fact the difference is like night and day.

I know that this kind of thing is not that interesting to the majority who just want to buy a plug & play system, but it is like Alan winding his own motors. What for, when you can just go and buy the "right" thing?? It is because we just like to experiment and learn a little more. Here in Darkest Africa (getting darker by the day) we pay too much for any hobby goods, so I always try to make the best of everything and also try to find ways of introducing newcomers into the hobby with the best possible price/performance ratio. To be real honest though, I just like tinkering around with gadgets VD~

I'm sure that I can get around having the hall-effect sensor by using a wire from the motor wires like the Eagle Tree rpm sensor. I have tried this, but could not get the right filtering to get just the motor's back-emf pulses. I was more interested in trying to write the software to keep the rpm constant, and the hall-effect sensor gives a good clean pulse. I will most likely have another go at the motor wires. If anyone has a circuit that works like the Eagle Tree' brushless rpm sensor, I would love a copy. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Keith R

Keith R

Alan Hahn

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 07:54:25 AM »
Have you considered simply using an optical encoder---similar like the one Eagletree sells (I don't know how the Eagletree one communicates, it might not be a livetime pulse output)?

I would think such a system might be available from "normal channels".
As an aside, you would want to color the spinner backplate (the reflector) with many divisions in order to multiply the number of pulses. The reason is that 9000 rpm only gives 15 revolutions in 0.1 s, and that probably isn't enough to regulate on (to any precision). If you had 14 black/white segments, that would multiply the # pulses in 0.1 second by 7 giving you 105 pulses to regulate on.

I was thinking about trying something like this on a 4 stroke, using a helicopter governor. That was also for "fun". What is intriguing is that on a IC engine, the revolution frequency is changing over one or two revolutions (just because you only get a single power pulse), so that would make the counting and averaging more interesting.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
The first thing I considered was an optical pickup, because I've made made tachs through the years this way. The Hall-effect sensor works well in fact, but I'm sure that it can be done the way Eagle Tree does it with the wired rpm sensor. I checked it on my scope this morning, and it seems to have a clean square  wave that cycles quite a bit. Maybe its the recorder reading it a certain amount of times per second. If you look at one of the motor wires while the motor is running, there are a mess of waveforms, so it's not too easy to filter out just the pulses from the back-emf. For now, the hall-effect sensor works. It's a tiny plastic case like the small transistors. This one from Honeywell is a latching type so it halfs the pulses, but it has a nice clean square wave at the output.

I also have the optical sensor from Eagle Tree, and this works by shining a small infra-red light onto a reflective surface with black lines etc. It's made for the rotor shaft on heli's and I bought it to check rpm on my I/C engine models. I will post some more later when I've managed to record the rpm in flight.

Keith R
Keith R

Alan Hahn

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
I would be interested in what you find that the Optical Sensor from Eagle tree puts out. I wasn't sure if it is a pulse train or if the little circuit is doing processing before it passes the info onto the logger. It sounds like (from your description of the Hall-effect version that it is sending pulses).

I actually have the optical sensor, but never got to the point of hooking it up to the Eagletree. On my electric setups, I use the rpm sensor that simply hooks onto one of the motor wires. Whatever they do (in terms of filtering), it seems to work reasonable well, although my rpm traces do have a "hash" in the readbacks. I am not sure if it is real or simply noise from the sensor--like you describe. Interestingly, if I run the motor without a load, the readback does look less noisy (at least when I plot the rpm), so maybe the hash is due to the large current pulses (when the motor is loaded down with a prop) causing extra spikes.

I suppose that is one reason I am interested in the new CC Phoenix Ice ESC. The ESC should really know the rpm since it is driving the motor. Also I am a little curious in how much effective "throttle" the governor is using at any particular time in the pattern (in other words am I using 90% of the possible output in a climb, or 70%?--right now it is a guess on how we choose the kV and pack voltage.) I am not positive if this "throttle" info is available from the ICE ESC or not.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
The optical sensor also puts out pulses, and it's connected to the same input on the recorder. The standard optical tachs use the flicker from light passing through the prop, but the Eagle Tree has a an infra-red light source plus a pickup sensor. The esc's do know the rpm, and they pick this up from one, or more of the coils when it is switched off. The designer's just don't think that most users need this sort of info, so I guess they don't output it anywhere.

My "governor" simply works by adding pulse width if the rpm is low, and subtracting it when it is high. It's fun to run the motor without the prop, and then hold the shaft......with a cloth......and then let it go again. My program will keep adding pulse width further than it needs because the motor has not followed it quickly enough. When I let the shaft go again, it pushes the rpm up much higher until it gets the pulse width down again. I'm going to play around with seeing if I can make it kick in when it is loaded more for a preset time and back-off a bit further when it it unloads. This is more or less how Igor's foamie worked before he used the gyro. He used the load from checking the current to do this. Seeing that I'm not clever enough to make my own esc, this is a fun way for me to fiddle with this.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »
Keith, I think you should not look for back EMF, but you should look for commutation instead. But be carefull, you have to see commutation, not PWM. Try to connect scope between two leadouts to phases and try to see all those 3 things, the you will know how to make the sensor. You will need to filter out the strongest signal from that mess inside.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 12:01:33 AM »
Hi Igor.........that's my problem......filtering out the mess. I had a look at the Eagle tree pc board, and they use quite a lot of tiny transistors, and also a small i/c (maybe) of some type. It's a compromise (like everything in stunt) between adding one simple small sensor and telling the end user to solder and extra wire or two on to his esc wiring. Most non-technical people can use a screw driver better than a soldering iron! My sensor at the moment is just held on to the casing of the MVVS in/out runner with a cable-tie (tie-wrap) because it does not have an exposed rotor. I have already figured out a simple mounting for the normal out-runner in my bigger model, so using the h-e sensor is not really a problem.

I wasn't going to post any photo's of this wreck, but anyway here goes. I took one of my basic "combat wing" trainers that had an Enya 40SS on it, and modified it with a simple bracket. This model has had quite a few prangs etc. so I did not mind abusing it to play with motors. It's had a boxful of motors on it already, including a Scorpion 3026-12, so it's been very useful so far. I put the sensor into a plastic housing with some epoxy, so it is a little bigger than necessary.
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 12:12:39 AM »
O.K. I didn't manage to get the close-up pic to attach, so here it is. Nothing like duct tape!

Keith R

Alan Hahn

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
My comment is that you have two issues in your "quest" H^^.

1) Make a governor
2) Get an rpm feedback for #1

I would solve (2) first by using the optical sensor. Then you can concentrate on the algorithm for the governor.

Once you have the governor working to your satisfaction, then tackle the electrical sensor pickup. As an aside, you might want to make a low pass filter to remove the known PWM frequency, which for most choices is higher than the commutation frequency--but not by much. For example, the frequency of the magnets passing by is 14 x the rotational frequency, or for 9000 rpm, => 2.1 kHz. I think the lowest brushless PWM frequencies are in the 8 kHz range (at least for Castle Creation ESC's)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
Thanks again Alan,

I could use the optical sensor, but I find the h-e works well, and is simpler......for me. I'll play around some more with the low-pass filter some time. The algorithm seems to be working and once I've done some recording on the EagleTree, I'll post the results. My programming ability needs more work, so you are dead right in summing up the 2 issues. For now, I have a solid input from the h-e sensor, so I'll make sure that my program is working properly.

Keith R
Keith R

Alan Hahn

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 08:41:08 AM »
I forgot you had the hall effect sensor. Sure use it! I was referring to the brushless sensor ET sells too.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here