News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:02:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the rule of thumb for matching up an ESC to a Motor  (Read 4216 times)

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
What is the rule of thumb for matching up an ESC to a Motor
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
I am in the process of completing the assembly of an SV 11.  It will be powered by an E Flight 32 using a 3200 mah 4S battery and a Hubin FM 9 timer.  My question regards what type of Castle ECS I should use for this setup.  I have looked on the List Your Setup and also reviewed the discription of the electric setups at the Nats published in the most current Stunt News and I can't find any consistancy in the matchup of an ESC with a given size of motor.  Where can I find a guide that will help me make this decision.

Thanks

Peter Mick
AMA 9581

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What is the rule of thumb for matching up an ESC to a Motor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
With a timer+governor setup (Hubin time + governing ESC, or a Renicle timer) you can expect that the peak power draw will be about 11 watts/ounce of plane weight (the Igor Burger timer demands more, but I don't know how much).  Current is just power divided by voltage, so:

(weight of plane in ounces)(11 watts/ounce) / ((number of cells)(3.7V/cell)) = expected maximum current draw in amps.

Or, for this battery pack, the weight of the plane in ounces times 0.75 will give the maximum current draw in amps.

Both the motor and the ESC should be rated at or higher than this number for maximum current draw.

Tell me how much the plane will weigh, and I'll give you a number in amps.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
Peter,
  I have built 3 SV type planes,SV11,SV22 and Voltron which is based on the SV22. All 3 have PHx 45's in them and 4S batteries.. All 3 have had Scorpion 3026-890's in them and all 3 have used 4s 3700- 4s 4000 25 or 35C batteries. I do plan on experimenting with a Cobra 3520/10 which is a 980kv motor on Voltron This too is a 4s motor. Your power 32 is more of a 5s motor which will also be fine PROVIDED you use a 5s battery of around 3000 to 3300 mah. You also want to use a PHX ice lite 50 or PHX edge lite 50 at the very minimum if you use a 5 s system. A PHX 60(if you have or can get one) or Ice lite or Edge lite 75 is preferred. Simply put the current system that you are looking at isn't going to cut it. You are off on both the battery size and KV of your motor. Something needs to change.
William
AMA 98010

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  The final weight of the plane will be around 65 oz.

Peter Mick
AMA9581

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
65 ounces means you'll use an average of 460 watts or so, and a peak of around 720.

I'll second William's numbers -- I get 3300mAh for the battery, and about 40A peak, with a 5S pack.  I'm too lazy to check the Kv of the motor, but it sounds like he's got a good grip on the problem (although a 45A controller sounds a bit light weight for 4S -- my numbers are telling me 50A peak.  Castle has a reputation for over-building; if you're inclined to get a cheap Chinese controller you wouldn't want to cut things that close).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Tim,

The KV on my E Flite 32 is 770.

William,

The specs for your Voltron listed in Stunt News indicates that you are using a Scorpion 3026-890 motor.  How does that compare to my 32?  I also noticed that you are using a 4S 3700 battery.  Would that work with my 32 or should I go to a different power plant so I can use a 4S battery? The 32 is still new in the box and I can return it if necessary.

Pete

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »
Tim and William

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I should have mentioned in my last post that I want to avoid the extra weight of a 5 S battery.

Pete

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »
Peter:

The Scorpion spins faster for the same voltage, which is why it'll work with four cells to the eFlight 32's five.  The Scorpion is rated for over 1000W continuous output: you'll have to check on the eFlight 32, but it's probably more than the average of 460 that I'm getting, or possibly even the peak of 720.

Keep in mind that as the cell count goes up, the cell capacity that you need goes down.  The amount of energy you need to draw from the pack is going to be pretty much the same for both motors, and the weight of a pack is largely dependent on how much energy it can store.  Whether there happens to be a sweet spot in the selection of cells that's available at any given moment that makes a 5S pack heavier or lighter than a 4S pack is pure chance.  The important thing to remember is that a 5S pack that can hold the same energy is not going to be 20% heavier than a 4S pack.

As an example, William's 3700mAh, 4S pack corresponds to a 2960mAh, 5S pack.  A quick check on the Hobby King site coughed up a 3700mAh, 4S pack that weighs 545g, and a 3000mAh, 5S pack that weighs 527g.  So for those two examples, you actually save weight by going to a 5S pack (don't take that as being a done-deal, all-the-time thing -- it's just a quick example).
AMA 64232

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
Tims rough estimate is about the same as mine. You should be able to find a 5s pack of lower mah in approximately the same weight as a 4s pack because of the capacity difference. A quick search on the Hobby king site turns up 3 5s packs that should work including this 5s 3000 which weighs 379 grams which is less than my 4s 3700 35c batteries.. Sina used this battery http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8853  in his Tweener last year(2013) with a PHX 60 and a power 32 with great results. that plane is in the same size and weight range that you are planning to use. Your weight wont vary much eather way so pick a set up and use it. By the way I have run the phx 45 on planes up to 72 oz without any problems. That is on 4s setups only. I wont trust it with a 5s on that sized plane. For the record my 4s 3700 35c pack weighs 393 grams.
AMA 98010

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »
Pete,
While I am not sure about the rule of thumb for electric as I am still learning myself, I recently complete an ARF SV-11 that came in at 65 ozs with a 4S 3300 battery with an Arrowind 2832 (820kV) spinning a 12x6 electric APC prop.  I am using a Phoenix Edge Lite 50 and have recorded a maximum of 38 amps during the few trim flights I have run so far.  Sounds like you are close with your current set up.
Regards,
John
John Paris

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Peter :

I have roughly 175 flights on an SV-11 with an E-32 . I was influenced in this choice of model by my friend,  Tom Hampshire.

Follow what Will DeMauro sez.

It should have a 5S pack(I used 3300) and an ESC capable of a 60 AMP spike.  I used the Phoenix 45. Initially used a E-25 and 4S 3900. ( Ah, the beauty of the Bob Hunt mount which allows for easy motor swap)

Get ready for a hard tugging ship ; especially if you go with a pusher prop. Not bad, mind you, but a real  arm workout machine ; especially in the wind .

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
Tims rough estimate is about the same as mine. You should be able to find a 5s pack of lower mah in approximately the same weight as a 4s pack because of the capacity difference. A quick search on the Hobby king site turns up 3 5s packs that should work including this 5s 3000 which weighs 379 grams which is less than my 4s 3700 35c batteries.. Sina used this battery http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8853  in his Tweener last year(2013) with a PHX 60 and a power 32 with great results. that plane is in the same size and weight range that you are planning to use. Your weight wont vary much eather way so pick a set up and use it. By the way I have run the phx 45 on planes up to 72 oz without any problems. That is on 4s setups only. I wont trust it with a 5s on that sized plane. For the record my 4s 3700 35c pack weighs 393 grams.

Hi Will, just a question on your last statement about the phx 45 on 5 cells. Surely 5s will have lower current than 4s for the same power, so would the 45 amp esc not work better in this case, or is it something to do with the voltage rating of the phx 45?? Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
Hi Will, just a question on your last statement about the phx 45 on 5 cells. Surely 5s will have lower current than 4s for the same power, so would the 45 amp esc not work better in this case, or is it something to do with the voltage rating of the phx 45?? Thanks.

Keith R
Hi Keith,
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the voltage plus the Amps exceeding a certain number because I know that there are people that use the PHX 45 on 5s setups but it seems to me like most are lighter planes(around 55 oz or less) The 2 times I tried to run the PHX 45 on 5s on planes 65oz and over they failed so now I just tell people use a PHX 60 or similar and don't worry about it failing.
AMA 98010

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
Hi Keith,
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the voltage plus the Amps exceeding a certain number because I know that there are people that use the PHX 45 on 5s setups but it seems to me like most are lighter planes(around 55 oz or less) The 2 times I tried to run the PHX 45 on 5s on planes 65oz and over they failed so now I just tell people use a PHX 60 or similar and don't worry about it failing.

As far as I can see the only penalty for running an ESC that is rated somewhat higher than is needed is the extra weight but the penalty for using one beyond its spects can be smoke!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:00:43 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
Hi Keith,

A switching amplifier (which is what the power stage of an ESC is) has losses that come from both the amount of current going through, and the voltage on the transistors.  "Losses" mean energy that's going to heat up the parts, instead of turning the motor.  So it's not surprising, particularly if the transistors are at the edge of their rated voltages.
AMA 64232

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »
A switching amplifier (which is what the power stage of an ESC is) has losses that come from both the amount of current going through, and the voltage on the transistors.  "Losses" mean energy that's going to heat up the parts, instead of turning the motor.  So it's not surprising, particularly if the transistors are at the edge of their rated voltages.
Thank You Tim, I am not an engineer and didn't really know the "why" behind it I just knew that it happens and not to do it. Your explanation puts it in terms that are very clear to me.
William
AMA 98010

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 10:08:28 PM »
Thanks Will and Tim, these days there is not much difference in weight between a 45 and a 60 A esc so I suppose that it is a better idea to have plenty of reserve.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 07:24:13 AM »

Keith R

The Phoenix 45 (if we're talking the older plain Phoenix 45) is/was rated for 5 cells if the BEC wasn't used (3 cells if using the BEC).  This implies that the main limit to using more cells than normal is the amount of power the BEC has to eat when a 'normal' number of servos is used with a certain number of cells.  Our little timer doesn't pull any appreciable current, so people get away with 4 cells without overworking the BEC.  As for 5 cells, some investigation would be necessary.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
I use the Phoenix 45 on 5 cells for years now with no problem on about 52 ounce 570 sq in airplanes.  I'm using a Hubin FM-9 timer and Cobra 2826/12 motor with a APC 13 x 5.5 WEP cut down to 12". Launch RPM is about 9600.  I've launch at as high a RPM of 10,300 with this set up and still no problems.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here