News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:06:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobby City/Hobby King  (Read 771 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hobby City/Hobby King
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
Has anyone bought from this outfit in Hong Kong. Were there any delivery issues with customs or excessively long deliveries -- say beyond a month?

Their FAQ on returns/disputes looks like a very long drawn out process with the burden of proof on the purchaser.

However, they have really good prices on electric stuff, ranging from 1/2 to 1/3 the prices from the US discounters.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hobby City/Hobby King
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »
My nephew & I have made several orders through them - no issues but we have not had to return anything either.  I am using the Turnigy SK35-42-1000 motor ($17.51) in the Mythbuster and believe it is a best-in-class value.  We have also used several of their Rhino batteries and they seem to be holding up well.  The new Accucel 8 charger at $79.99 may be the best there is at any price.

My Nephew has been flying their small stuff in RC foamie combat models and reports good performance.  Ditto his recent forays into electric Pylon racers, he has been running motors and batteries hard without leting out any magic smoke.

I think it is an excellent "lab" site as you can get lots of variations on motors and batteries without mortgaging the homestead. 

Dig through the site some, they have Deans Ultra connector clones only theirs have finger grips (nice!) and of course they do a nice job with bulk orders of bullet connectors & such.  Look for their spring latches too - just the ticket for battery hatches.

Shipping costs can be high, especially if you go for the express options.  Also pay attention to weights (they tell you where you are as you build your order) I try to max out the weight for a giving shipping fee.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
I have never had any issues with Hobbycity, for me they are top notch.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »
John,

I have placed several orders through Hobby City and have had no issues whatsoever.  The turnigy motors I have bought all perform or exceed factory specs and the batteries have been equal to their rated current and capacity. 

I just recently bought a Turnigy SK 42-50-650 intended to be used on a large ECL bird (700 sq in) I have designed and am hoping to get airborne this year.  It will run on 6S 20C Turnigy 2650's which can be charged at up to 3S.  I also bought a Turnigy Accucell 8 which has more functions built into it than most chargers on the market 5 times the price.  The motor, (3) battery packs, and charger cost $200.  It cost $47 to ship expedited mail.  Build quality on theses components are excellent and can you say affordable?  The power system is capable of sustaining 1200 watts at rated capacities.  That says a lot for a motor that cost $25, and a battery pack which cost $35!!!  I have (4) cycles on the packs already and they have performed quite well from the start (bench testing).  I look forward to getting them in the air.  The Turnigy Li-Poly's are offered in several sizes and cell counts.

Take Care,

Archie Adamisin   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
I have bought a few things from here (recommended by Archie) and get things in 3 days - 3 DAYS folks and I live in New Zealand - half the world away!!!!!! 

very good site, really fast and good products - I will be back there when mamma camel (the wife) lets me use more of MY money on my hobby - HA   LL~
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »
Place an order today for motor and two batteries for the Jenny project. Was a total of $214 including air shipping for stuff that would cost about $450-470 from US discounters. The Turnigy 1850 watt motor was $40!

We'll see how it goes.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »
I've ordered several times, and with one exception, I received my stuff in  10 - 12 days. Got a great price on a WATT-Meter for around $50, and an Eagle Tree Data recorder for $53. The Turnigy motors and speed controls are well thought of on the Wattflyer Forum.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
My stuff came in today in perfect shape. The USPS tried to deliver it on Wednesday, but I wasn't home then so they redelivered today.

The tracking record shows Hobby City mailed the order on the 8/31, and the USPS delivered on 9/3 (first try). Not bad at all, I'll certainly use them again.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
My second order from Hobby King came today. It was ordered on the 15th and was delivered today 9-19. Excellent service and prices still.  4 ea 2650 4S 20C battery packs and two Turnigy 800 kV motors + shipping for $175.

These are Zippy batteries. I have not used this brand nor have I used the Turnogy motors before. Others have had good results from both of these brands, however.

I noticed this time that HK doesn't add on the Pay Pal fee, in this case, $4.40.

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here