News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:48:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Programming a ZTW Speed Control and KR Governor  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Deric Herrmann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Help Programming a ZTW Speed Control and KR Governor
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:39:59 AM »
Anyone have any experience with ZTW ESC and KR Timer?

I believe I have the correct programmer for both but could use some help.

Anyone out there have some experience they would share would be greatly appreciated.

Bought a T Rex with this setup in, I'm usually a Castle and Hubin timer guy but thought I'd just leave what I have in it and just make sure the programming was correct. I don't have any experience with the ZTW or the KR Timer.

Thanks,

Deric
513-304-2011
dherrmann41005@gmail.com

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Help Programming a ZTW Speed Control and KR Governor
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 07:48:06 PM »
The KR timer needs a program stick and an instruction sheet.  It has no computer interface.  With the program stick you can start time, run time, motor RPMs, and control gain.  It takes a tack to set RPMs.  Their is no readout to check current settings on the KR.   To check start time and run time remove the prop run a cycle and check the start and run times with a watch.   of course check RPMs with a tack.  Gain is fly and see what different settings look like.   The KR instruction sheet is good and covers it all.  For the ZWT I am not sure what all you can set.  If it has a governor mode it needs to be off.

The KR has worked good foe me.  Instruction sheet is all you need.

You might want to read   https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/how-my-kr-timer-works/msg566716/#msg566716
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:23:37 PM »
I use the ZTW esc's with Hubin timers. It's a really good quality esc, but I don't have experience with the KR timer.  Just chiming in on the reliability of the ZTW esc

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
Oh! Also, you'll need the ZTW programmer. I buy ZTW stuff from altitude hobbies. This works with the Mantis series,
Which is probably the most common. But they have the gecko and beetle series. So see what version you have before ordering a programmer.

https://www.altitudehobbies.com/products/ztw-mantis-series-brushless-esc-programming-card

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »
Hi Deric;

If your ESC is a ZTW Mantis you will need the Mantis LED programmer to change the factory defaults to run properly in a C/L model. Just plug the throttle control from the ESC into the Mantis programmer and hook up the ESC to your battery. The LED will light up and you can press the "Menu" button. There are 9 settings as follows
1- brake hard #4
2 - Lipoly #2
3- cut off 2.8v #1
4- auto motor timing #1
5- sbec 5v #1
6- rpm off #1
7- rotation forward if regular prop #1 if reverse pitch prop reverse #2
8- start up strength 50% #9
9-  low voltage cut off reduce power #1

The KR governor can be set up using the program stick. Just follow the instructions in the printed manual. Remember to turn the stick on be pressing the S-1 button. This will turn on the red led light and you're ready to set things up.
Rpm is set using 2 presses of the S-1 button. once the motor winds up use the up or down carot < > to increase or decrease the rpm. You will need a tach to see what rpm you have. Once you get to the rpm level you want hit the S-1 button. The led will go out, pause for 2 seconds then flash twice.
Flight time is set by pressing the S-1 button 3 times. once the led flashes 3 times each press of the s-1 will give you 10 seconds. When you get to the time you want the motor to run stop. The light will go out, pause then flash 3 times.
Start delay is set with 4 presses of the s-1 button. Once the light goes out, pauses then flashes 4 times hit the S-1 for each second of start delay. Again the light will go out, pause then flash 4 times.
Five presses of the S-1 button will set the "variable gain" or what I call the 4-2-4 break. Again the led will go out, pause then flash 5 times.There are 7 levels you can use so 1 to 7 presses of the S-1. Light out, pause then 5 flashes.

Offline Deric Herrmann

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:19:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help...!!!

Much appreciated..!!!!

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
Deric;

When I outlined the programming steps for the KR Governor I may have misled you. What I should have said was not to hit the S-1 button but to press and hold down the S-1 button and count the number of flashes. For example when setting the flight time you first make sure the program stick is turned on (press the S-1 button once and make sure the led light glows) Press the S-1 button and hold it down until it flashes 3 times. After the led lights turn off and then turn back on press and hold down the S-1 button and count off the number of flashes necessary to set the time for the flight (each flash equals 10 seconds of flight time). When you get to the correct number take your finger off the S-1 button. The led light will turn off, pause and then flash 3 times. This lets you know that the governor has accepted the new flight time.
Sorry for any confusion.
Eric Rule

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here