News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heli-Gov-Mode Vs JMP-2 ?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Heli-Gov-Mode Vs JMP-2 ?
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
Which way is best? I have heard that it is not adviseable to use the Heli-Gov-Mode in the Castle Controller when using the JMP-2 Timer.

I see that Dean uses this gov-mode. It seems like a good idea. I do not know which timer he uses. ?

The JMP-2 Timer is an excellent device that allows for a steady ramp up, throughout the flight,  to the max setting we put in to it. But the gov set up sounds like a good solution too.
 .... At least while we are all waiting for the real solution, that we "teasingly" hear is coming soon: A Feed back loop system which will ADD power when going up hill, and REDUCE power down hill. :-)

TIA for your help.

Rudy
AMA 1667

Kim Doherty

Re: Heli-Gov-Mode Vs JMP-2 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:46:14 PM »
Which way is best? I have heard that it is not adviseable to use the Heli-Gov-Mode in the Castle Controller when using the JMP-2 Timer.

I see that Dean uses this gov-mode. It seems like a good idea. I do not know which timer he uses. ?

The JMP-2 Timer is an excellent device that allows for a steady ramp up, throughout the flight,  to the max setting we put in to it. But the gov set up sounds like a good solution too.
 .... At least while we are all waiting for the real solution, that we "teasingly" hear is coming soon: A Feed back loop system which will ADD power when going up hill, and REDUCE power down hill. :-)

TIA for your help.

Rudy,

I can not speak for the JMP timer but if it were me, I would run in Governor Mode. I do not think that trying to ramp up your speed is a precise enough way to fly the pattern and score well. At some moments you would be using too little power and at others you would be using too much. You need to be very careful how you spend the power in your battery.

Having said that, you should know that to "Stay on the governor" you need to have sufficient battery capacity (overhead)  to stay there for the whole flight. This is where a lot of homework will pay off with the expected results.

As to the "Real Solution" you have been teased with let me tease you even more by saying that what you have described is not all that far off.

Kim.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 10:03:51 AM »
Hello Rudy,
I wholeheartedly agree with Kim, and would add that the JMP timer could easily be used in conjunction with the governor mode. Bobby hunt actually considered bumping up the revs a hundred or so just about the time you get to the vertical 8. It turned out it wasn't necessary.
later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:28:43 AM »
Dean, and Kim,

Thanks for the replies and your excellent posts in the past. You both have been a big help to all of us who are getting charged up about Electric. CL.

To make sure I understand your advice. I should go to the "Hellicopter High" Governor setting on the Castle controller, and just set the JMP timer at the % of power I need, and NOT use any of the step-up features of the JMP timer? .... Is this correct?

TIA for your continued help. :-)

Rudy
Rudy
AMA 1667

Kim Doherty

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »
Rudy,

I have read the CC manual and that would be the correct setting. You would then set the JMP timer to the desired rpm. You are not limited to one throttle setting and hence if you wanted to "step" it up you could. (I personally would not do this)

Were you to use an rpm step at a fixed timepoint, the motor should change to this rpm at that point and then maintain that rpm until directed to do something else. Note that this would only work if the rpm was "stepped" and not "ramped" from begginning to end. As I have said before, I have no experience with the JMP timer.

If you are going to do any serious work in developing your power package I would reccommend a device such as the Hyperion E-Meter with the optional computer interface so that you can do your experimental development work on the test bench first before trying it out on your plane.

Kim.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:08:36 PM »
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the info.  I will try the Governor mode in the near future.  It sounds like a good way to get a constant RPM. I seem to have enough "head room" in my system for this to work.

The JMP timer is a very nice unit. At only $30, it delivers a lot of "bang for the buck".  I took your earlier advice and did a lot of reseach, and crunched some numbers. ..... It paid off today. I had 7 perfect flights on my Brodak P-40. My goal was to have 5 sec. laps with my 60' (eyelet to eyelet) lines. I set up the JMP timer to run at 82% power for the 1st 2 min. of flight, then to steadily "ramp up" to 92% over the next 5 min. to compensate for the est. power loss from the TP 4200 mAh, 14.8V, 4s2p battery. I used a CF 10x6 prop (an 11x6 will be better, but ground clearance is a problem for now). 

Everything worked out perfectly! :-)  The full pattern was completed with plenty of power from start to finish. The lap times remained constant throughout the entire flight. I had plenty of power overhead. These were the 1st flights on this plane, so it will need some trim adjustments, but the Elec. system performed flawlessly! :-)

The top flyer in our club, John Wright, flew it. He is used to his .60 size ships with plenty of power, so he always wants "More Power"! He agreed that an 11x6 would be better. He flew his typical "Excellent" pattern with it, and liked flying  Electric! He is interested in your power system for his .60 size ships. :-)

I will look into the test equip. you recommended. At $90 it seems like a good investment. I also like Will Moores "On-Board" diagnostic system that gives us real life info. about our systems in flight.

I am looking forward to the next generation of timers with the feed back loop, and true 2/4 break simulation. ....... Who knows, maybe someday we can even turn our motors into generators on the downlines and put some (wind/gravity power) energy back into the batteries? ;-)

Again, thank you for all your help. You, Will, Dean, etc. have all been instrumental in making Electric CL possible for the rest of us. :-)

Rudy
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I'd make a comment about Rudy's "A Feed back loop system which will ADD power when going up hill, and REDUCE power down hill. :-) ".

Actually you already have that with electric power, even when you don't use governor mode. The maximum power the motor delivers to the prop occurs at 1/2 * (kv*Vbatt). In cruise you are probably flying well past that point, so when you pull the nose up and airspeed begins to drain off, the rpm begins to drop, current (and torque), and the power (rpm*torque) also rises. At the lower rpm the prop is also making more thrust. Likewise when you stick the nose down, airspeed increases, the rpm goes up, power goes down as does the torque and thrust.

When you use governor mode, the effective voltage is increased when the load goes up, and this pops you onto another (higher) power curve--this is good too, even better than without. I don't think it gets a lot better than this---except if you could adjust the prop pitch too!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here