News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Heat is STILL the Enemy  (Read 3076 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Heat is STILL the Enemy
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
Here's a new one - at least I have not heard of it before.  I think my experience is worth sharing so here goes:

My Nephew Archie has been flying an Oriental (see thread "Shocking the Oriental)  set-up with a Brodak motor, 3 cell Brodak pack, and a Kontronic ESC and it runs PERFECT.

As a proof of concept, I recently built a Vector(ARF) and converted it to a 3 cell Brodak pack, Brodak motor, but used a Turnigy ESC.  Initial test were promising - PLENTY of power available, but the power could not be sustained.  The Vector runs every bit as well as Archie's Oriental at the start of the flight but will not hold RPM throughout the flight.  Power goes down until at the end it is barely flyable.  Did not help that at Brodak's it was in the 90's and dead calm with the wind was mostly from passing thermals - no wind-flying THERE!

* I tried slower initial RPM's and a cut-down prop to reduce battery loads but could not make an improvement.  Later I determined that I was using only 2100 mAh or so per flight when Archie's Oriental was using around 2800 mAh; something in the system was choking off the energy flow.

* The long and short of it is that the Turnigy ESC is rated at 40A but it would not sustain even a 29A load (on ground) due to overheating.  At the start of a run (on ground) the current draw would be at 29A, seemingly plenty safe for a 40A ESC right?  However, within first couple minutes or so the ESC heated up, the sustainable current dropped to around 20A and was still falling when I shut it off.  By that time it had shed over 1000 RPM!

* These are static loads, but I believe the same thing is happening in the air, albeit over different current levels and a somewhat longer period of time.

* Thinking the shrink wrap made a nice insulator; I cut off the shrink wrap and discovered a 1" square heat sink that had been covered up.  Nice place to hide it. 

* With heat sink exposed and ESC re-installed (internally but with its own air scoop the sustainable load only fell off to around 23A; better but still NFG.

* Relocated the ESC to a surface mount exposing the heatsink.  Still would only sustain about 25A.  However this was the best I could do in field mods.

* Came back at the problem from a different angle, the Eagle Tree data on the E-Oriental with same power showed an AVERAGE flight load of around 17A.  I'm running a similar RPM on same prop, on a similar size and weight airframe and similar (beginning) lap times so I expect similar results.  I re-set the ground RPM to an 18A setting - and the ESC was able to keep up.  Thus I think it will now be OK - depending on if/how often the current goes over 25A and how well it cools down between maneuvers, but did not get to fly it yet.

* Thus, just like IC engines, the enemy is HEAT. 

So what do I THINK I have learned?
* I think a contributor is that it is the Vector is set up with 3 cells - the current loads (and heat?) are higher than they would be with a 4-cell system driving the same prop. I consulted with our fearless moderator on that point, Dean's Reponse (clipped) follows:

"There are 40 amp ratings ... and then there are 40 amp ratings.  There's a whole lot of marketing going on!"

"There are two sources of heat in the power transistors. The first is the ON resistance of the FETs and the current load.  That current will be about 33% higher on 3S than on 4S, so the power dissipation will be about 75% higher. (I^2*R) The power dissipated in the ON/OFF transitions will be higher with 4S than with 3S, but every design will have a different mix of conduction and switching losses. It sounds like conduction is dominant in the Turnigy."

I have an untested 4-cell set-up at home and plan to run the same experiment.  4 cell versus 3 might be the tie breaker I need, but I have already removed the shrink wrap and moved the ESC to the surface.  My Father also has prepared some finned heat-sinks I can add to substanitially increase the cooling area if needed.

Stay tuned!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: Heat is STILL the Enemy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »
All things being considered is the oriental you mentioned runing the same battery/voltage/capacity  setup ?  Or is there a difference ?

Are there any big difference in the two planes ie. wheel size/lg length ?
just curious.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 06:20:46 AM »
Sounds like the Turnigy ESC is more like a 25A instead of a 40A.  Maybe they mixed up the labels?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »
Jim G:
The Vector is about 18 sq. in smaller than the Oriental but has a thicker wing.  the Oriental has flown at different weights (depending on equipment on board) from 46-52 oz.  The Vector weighs 48 oz.  For the Vector test flight I used the same RPM that generated a 5.4 sec lap time on the Oriental, the Vector flew at 5.3 sec/lap.  Same motor, prop (10x5E) and battery - thus my expectations for the same performance.  The only differences are the timer and the ESC; Vector uses a Will Hubin timer (the best!) and Turnigy ESC, the Oriental uses a JMP and a Kontronic ESC.

Crist:
That sound you just heard was me smacking my forehead.  You might be on to something, but I'm not sure how to determine it.  The 40A Turnigy is a nice tidy sized piece, they also make a smaller one, I forget but I think it is either a 25A or 30A.  Irony is that I almost bought the smaller one to save a little swight, then went "conservative".  However. if the ESC will only sustain something like 25A, then it is a 25A ESC - regardless of it being marketed as 40A!

I have 3 other Turnigy's, but they are a different model: the Vector has a Turnigy "Plush" the other 3 (unflown) are the "Sentry" model.  The Turnigy "Sentry" model has a extra plug that attaches to the battery balancing plug - monitors individual cell voltages in flight, presumably protecting from a low-cell issue.  The balancing circuitry is on a separate board, but the ESC par of the board eyeball's to be the same as the Plush series ESC in the Vector.

One other issue.  The aluminum heat sink is attached with some double-backed cloth (not foam) tape.  I'm wondering if I should omit the tape and epoxy the heatsink in place to possibly improve the heat transfer from chips?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:34:56 AM »
Dennis,
Here is a link to a mod to the Align ESC.  Some useful info concerning attaching the heatsink.

http://www.wavelandps.com/stuff/
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:39:04 AM »
Hi Dennis,
Thermal grease (you can find it at Radio Shack) and a ty-rap will be better for heat flow, if not as pretty.
Maybe you can use the same ty-rap for mounting.

Crist,
There really is a lot of B.S. out there regarding current ratings. The RC market has largely learned to use their el-cheapo ESCs at maybe 1/2 the rating, so has Dennis!

Ciao,
    Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »
Dean,
That's what I really think.  The el-cheapo ESC's are over rated.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »
Yes my feeling is to stick to known good items in general. You don't have to have the best, but you sure need good enough!
No problems with my Castle Creations Phoenix 35A rated ESC's, even though I am abusing them to some extent by running at probably less than half throttle.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
First a comment on my chea-pass approach: Guilty as charged - but lemme throw myself on the mercy (yeah, right) of the forum!

* Turnigy 40 is $35, Phoenix 45 is $115(?) or so.  Turnigy 60 is $47.  Maybe its worth "oversizing" so I can keep the following...

* Turnigy uses a $7 programming card, the Phoenix needs an interface and a PC.  The Turnigy (& Will Hubin timer) has to be the EASIEST system to set-up there is - just like setting a needle valve.

* Turnigy enables brake in Governor Mode; Phoenix does not.  Frankly this meant a LOT to me.  It would be so blasted simple if Castle would get off their duffs and release the ECL mode they promised over a year ago!

Crist: Thanks for the info/link I'll check it out after work.

Dean: I plan to look into the thermal compound and thermal epoxies...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »
Dennis,
Although this doesn't help you much, I was able to buy my two CC Phoenix 35's @$70 or less. My guess is that they can handle more current than the Turnigy 40. I have never bought the 45A Phoenix because as you point out, it is definitely on the expensive side, and I always have been able to configure my battery setup to avoid currents much above 35A.

I agree that it would be nice to get that darn firmware upgrade out into the "wild", but I am not NAT's bound, so if my landings are a little crummier than they would have been with the better glide ratio with the prop stopped, I can live with it for some time.

However it should also be pointed out that the main function of the ESC is to run the motor, and at least there the CC brand seems to beat out the Turnigy! y1

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »
Dennis,
Another point, if I understand your setup correctly, is that you are using the Brodak motor (the one sold with the Super Clown). That is a pretty high kV motor (~1500) and is more or less optimized to turn relatively high rpm's (>12k). If you are actually turning a "real"  <= sized prop (10"?) on your Vector, I am guessing you may be turning at a lower rpm, lets say in the 10 k range.

Anyway that means your ESC is probably set at a quite low effective throttle setting. The other thing to remember is that the current you measure with a Wattmeter (or the EagleTree data rcorder) is the average current. However you are drawing current from the battery only half the cycle or so, so what the motor is seeing and the ESC is supplying is actually more than what you think. Since heat is I^2R, twice the current for half the time still means you have twice the heat than you would calculate for a real steady current.

This may be your problem. I suggest you read this faq from CC.
http://www.castlecreations.com/support/faqs/faq-phoenix.html#gen2

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »
1500kV - that certainly could have been a contributor. Static RPM roughly 10k, slightly less than midway between extremes possible.  ONE MORE data point for the matrix!

BTW, while it was not really related to the subject of this thread, I did install a Phoenix that my Nephew had previously programmed for his Oriental with the Brodak motor.  It was not "happy" in the Vector (for starters it would not start cleanly), and I decided to prempt any reprogramming of the Phoenix and get back to concentrating on the main issues.  It took another half-day to decide that the main problem was heat in the ESC.

I have no illusions that the Turnigy would ever outperform the Phoenix!  However the Turnigy is vastly easier to set-up.

So why the Brodak Motor & 3 cells?  The REAL original purpose of all of his was to duplicate the Oriental set-up in a bird that I could leave in Carmichaels so John B would have a demo unit.  The Will Hubin timer and Turnigy ESC added simplicity to the excellent set-up from the Oriental.  However, now part of the pay-off is that I feel like I have a better understanding of some more of the challenges in setting up a system.

Hopefully sharing my, uh, good intentions here will hlp someone else stuck in the same rut!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
Dennis has a couple really custom heatsinks and thermal compound heading his way. Big hacked the heatsinks out of an (computer geeks will know) old skived aluminum cpu heatsinkk I had laying around. They are about 20x25mm and 20mm high fins. He thinned the base out to lighten it then cut it up into the individual parts. If cooling the esc will help these will cool the esc. Crist, the link said it all, thanks.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:36:25 AM »
I would say replace the Brodak motor with a Scorpion 3020-12 (kV=1088).It will match your 3s setup much better. Another option would be the 3014-18 (kV=1064). The latter is closer to the Brodak Stock motor length.

Here is a prop chart (static draws at WOT).

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
Dennis,
Another point, if I understand your setup correctly, is that you are using the Brodak motor (the one sold with the Super Clown). That is a pretty high kV motor (~1500) and is more or less optimized to turn relatively high rpm's (>12k). If you are actually turning a "real"  <= sized prop (10"?) on your Vector, I am guessing you may be turning at a lower rpm, lets say in the 10 k range.

Anyway that means your ESC is probably set at a quite low effective throttle setting. The other thing to remember is that the current you measure with a Wattmeter (or the EagleTree data rcorder) is the average current. However you are drawing current from the battery only half the cycle or so, so what the motor is seeing and the ESC is supplying is actually more than what you think. Since heat is I^2R, twice the current for half the time still means you have twice the heat than you would calculate for a real steady current.

This may be your problem. I suggest you read this faq from CC.
http://www.castlecreations.com/support/faqs/faq-phoenix.html#gen2

INTERESTING!  Lets try this from another angle - that the ESC is not really at fault at all, but that the way I am running it is.  Put another way, no matter WHOSE ESC I would have used the current loads and switching would lead to LOTS of heat build-up.  I know Dean talks about successfully running his Phoenix's at or above their ratings in some RC apps, but those are (I think) WOT, a near-steady state condition which while hot, may not be as hot as sustained operation at some midpoint setting...

Does that sound plausible?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Kim Doherty

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 08:05:51 AM »
Dennis,

It is precisely this reason why we chose to use the Schulze 18.46K ESC (K= heatsink) as the basis for the 18.46K F2B ESC. Schulze originally suggested that we try one without the heatsink. When I explained the constant partial throttle operation they agreed that this was the ESC we should use.

I spent a GREAT deal of time and effort ensuring that the ESC, motor (with built in fan) and batteries were bathed in a sea of changing air. (the heatsink plate was exposed directly to the outside air) While it may not be absolutely necessary, I do not think it hurt. In regular use I have never recorded a temperature of any component greater than about 45 degrees C. (113 degrees Fahrenheit) even in Spain with ambient temperatures of 43 degrees C.

Kim. 

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »
Yes it is plausible, but my Phoenix 35 survives this type of abuse.

For example I am/have run kV motors or 980 and 1080 with a 4s battery, more or less using the ESC as a "transformer" of the higher voltage lower current into a lower voltage higher current setup. I lose some efficiency, but the CC FET's are up to the task.

If you recall when I did my motor tests (http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=9256.0), I compared how they ran with both a 3s and 4s battery (at the same rpm). I didn't give the current in that post (just the watts), but to illustrate what is going on, my Scorpion 3020-12 (kV=1080) drew 17A on a 4s Lipo @13.7V  and 23A on a 3sLipo @10.1V. Since the motor was running with the same rpm and load for both measurements, its actual current in the windings had to be the same (>23A since even on 3s, the throttle was not at full on), even though the measured battery current was different.

So the point is that the current we measure with data recorders and wattmeters is only the average current, not the instantaneous currents. Only at wide open throttle (WOT) are the two the same. Since heating goes as the square of the current, you will underestimate its value if you use only average values. Another detail is that current flows in the motor even when the battery current is not--because there is still a path for current to flow through the FETs when they are turned off.

Best option is to try and match the motor kV to the battery selection--to minimize heating losses anyway. Nominally it would be best to be running at ~75% WOT so that we have the extra capacity to keep rpm up in the overheads. I also think this 75% is at the end of the flight, when the battery voltage has dropped. That's when the overhead eights and 4-leaf clover need that power.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »
THANKS FOR THE SOLID FEEDBACK!

I have been looking at first the average loads, then the "peak" loads during manuvers, and have not even thought about the PWM Peak load potential.  The link Alan(?) provided to the Castle FAQ about sizing the ESC was golden in that regard.

As I (now) understand this: when dealing with the "givens" as in the Vector set-up (high kV motor, 3S, etc.) there was another effective - if inelegant solution possible; to go with a seemingly oversized ESC (60A instead of 40A rating) based on the peak load possible for what ever power and load POTENTIAL there is.  I think the max load for that motor/prop/battery was something like 48A static...

I am but a grasshopper...  ???
...but I have my new finned heatsinks!  8)

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 06:26:11 AM »
To attach the heat sink, use thermal epoxy.  There is some good stuff, but it only comes in fairly large containers.  Black when mixed.

There is also the Artic Silver (the epoxy version, not the standard paste) that works fine.  While it supposedly non-conductive, I would try to keep it off the MOSFET pins.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Alan Hahn

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 07:48:17 AM »
Another way to use the Brodak motor would be to go to a 2s battery. Of course since you still need to carry around the "family" joules (I love it!), the battery capacity would have to be sized up--to be roughly the same weight as you are carrying now. The advantage is that the throttle setting would be naturally higher to get the required amps. Of course the motor would be running the same rpm and the same average current. But the heating in the ESC would be less since the same average current would be provided over a longer pulse.

I think you said the Oriental was using 2900mAHr on 3s. Assuming the same needs, a 2s setup would use 4350mAHr. That would require at least a cell capacity of 5500mAHr. You could get that (and more!) with three 2s2100 packs in parallel for a cost of ~$111 for the 3. Or two 2s3200 packs @$126. A 2s5300 mAHr pack goes for $119, but is a bit undersized. These are all FMA prices. Personally I'd go for the 2s2100 solution. I'm already thinking about that for my Nobler since it has better battery cooling than the current 4s2100 battery pack.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:43:09 AM by Alan Hahn »

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
The "family joules"?  Is that like when  Micro Henry took Millie Amp for a ride on his megacycle over the wheatstone bride and... (edited for family content)  b1  n1  >:D  :X  LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »
Dennis,
One thing that is puzzling to me is why your Oriental seems to be taking a lot more (relative term) power than my Nobler. Last year when I was still using the two 3s2100 packs hooked up in parallel (equivalent to one 3s4200 pack), I was drawing about 2200mAHr from the pack in a typical flight---5s laps. My actual flying time is set to be 5min 10seconds, which comfortably gets me through the pattern. This is on ~62 foot handle to plane center lines.

I thought the Nobler and Oriental were similar sized planes, and the weights aren't that different (I think I was about 47oz with that battery setup). I am guessing you may have longer lines because I know your lap times sound a little longer than mine. That of course could account for the larger power usage--you are flying a longer distance than I am.

Just curious.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
I would consider the Nobler and Oriental to be virtually interchangeable with respect to thrust needs.  I do not think his battery usage has been too far out of line with yours all things considered.  A couple possiblities affecting draw:
* Flight time set at 6 minutes (almost 20% longer)
* 63 ft of line eyelet to eyelet, probably 66' handle to center of fuse - roughly 4 ' longer radius, however...
* 5.3 sec lap time (has flown from 4.9 to 5.8) Given difference in line length this is pretty close to same air speed.
* Battery usage has clearly gone DOWN in the wind (at Brodak it was nearly dead calm)
* Has flown between about 46-52 oz depending on equipment on board (3 diff motors, 3 diff ESC's, with & w/o Eagle tree, etc)
* 10x5 prop, but the one he is using now requires a different throttle setting than one he had (and broke) last fall.

Other "factoids" I do not know how to address but which probably have an impact:
* Brodak 3s/4000 battery versus what ever kind you were using - I think there are differences.
* "Too tall" kV motor throttled down to usable RPM; probably results in at least some current being lost to heat & switching - something you are not having to deal with?
* The Oriental still has the original cowl cut for a Brodak 40 - there is a big old draggy hole in the bottom!  The aerodynamicist in me cringes...

The Oriental as Archie has refined and flew at Brodak's worked perfectly.  I think it serves as proof that success is achievable even when using sub-optimized components, they can be meshed into a solid system.  The Vector experience showed I had another big element to consider - but setbacks like that are OK - if/when they are overcome!

...and THANK YOU (and everyone else) for the ongoing commentary/discussion.  I THINK this is how the state of the art evolves!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 10:33:46 AM »
Alan,

The E-oriental uses anywhere from 2400-2800 maH for the 3S 4000's.  I fly on 63' eye to eye yielding a 67.5' center to center when including my arm & handle length.  I did encounter some issues when getting ready for Brodak this year because I had to use a new prop after breaking the one I used in the fall because the %$#@ break didn't work when in governor mode.  LL~ LL~  I had to back the JMP throttle down 18 steps from where it was in the fall to get back to the same lap time I had.  In the fall I flew @ 5.5/lap.  I now fly it @ 5.3/lap because the airplane is happier there. 

I did try to fly with a 10 x 7 last fall and it was a bit breezy when I did.  I was testing the Rim-Fire 35-36-1200/Phoenix at the time and power used was significantly less (see attached), but it wound up in the wind so bad even with the governor kicking like crazy to keep the rpm steady.  The 10 x 5 works best with this airframe bar none.  The 11 x 5.5 made the airplane unflyable.

NOTE: (Brodak graph was done in January while flying in 35 degree weather.  The voltage came up as the pack warmed up.  The Rim-Fire flight was done in October if I remember right.)

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here