News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hatch Magnets  (Read 900 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hatch Magnets
« on: August 17, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »
I have often wondered how far away from our timer's, ESC's, and perhaps control wiring that the hatch magnets need to be.  Since our motors are just one big magnet, I would assume that out electronics are not affected by magnets, but you know what assume spells.  So, does anybody have a definitive answer.  I was mounting the hatch on my new ship and I noticed for the first time that I had put the timer (Fiorotti) 1/2" away from a hatch magnet.  Moving the timer now will involve major surgery.  Better to fix now if I need to than to try and figure out why it crashed later.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Hatch Magnets
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
Retrofit with a spring canopy latch if you're concerned about magnetic interference.  My experience with magnets for keeping cowls attached, for the entire flight, has been less than optimal.  My implementation must have been lacking.  Both planes ended up with a large rubber band on the nose to keep the cowl in place during the whole flight. 

I've seen many examples of magnet cowls implemented effectively, but I now much prefer the canopy latch method.  Fast and totally secure.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:43:24 PM »
Retrofit with a spring canopy latch if you're concerned about magnetic interference.  My experience with magnets for keeping cowls attached, for the entire flight, has been less than optimal.  My implementation must have been lacking.  Both planes ended up with a large rubber band on the nose to keep the cowl in place during the whole flight. 

I've seen many examples of magnet cowls implemented effectively, but I now much prefer the canopy latch method.  Fast and totally secure.
I have never had one blow off,  but I do like your way better.  Just ordered 2.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 12:45:23 AM »
Hi Ken,
No need to worry about permanent magnets for hatches effecting to the timer, esc and motor. if you think of the rotating drum on the motor with 12 to 16 potent magnets spinning that could possibly generate currents in the wiring of the system, and that not really having any problems, then there's no need for any concern about a small static hatch magnet. I've used a few myself of a few stunters. Initially I was concerned about strapping my timers right on to the esc's for the small models, and I've done that for years now without any problems. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Keith R
Keith R

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 06:54:02 AM »
Hi Ken,
No need to worry about permanent magnets for hatches effecting to the timer, esc and motor. if you think of the rotating drum on the motor with 12 to 16 potent magnets spinning that could possibly generate currents in the wiring of the system, and that not really having any problems, then there's no need for any concern about a small static hatch magnet. I've used a few myself of a few stunters. Initially I was concerned about strapping my timers right on to the esc's for the small models, and I've done that for years now without any problems. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Keith R
It does.  Thanks a bunch.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 11:47:16 AM »
Static magnetic field does not make any impact to our electronics ... IF ... wires do not move. So it will be good to fix all cables to model, not only because of magnets, but also because of their breaking in connectors and because active timers can "hear" how the move.

Magnets in rotor of motor, can and does induce voltage in wires, but magnetic field is enclosed inside the motor (one side of magnet is oriented to iron ring and the other to stator ), so it should not go "out". However it is not always perfectly done, so better is not to have sensitive wires close to rotating motor.

And what are sensitive wires? Most of the system is 5V digital, so it is not anything sensitive, but active timers with sensors have such parts and wires, so it is good to have sensors far from motor ... means back of battery at CG  8)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here