News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:06:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anybody tried latex paint on electric planes?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Has anybody tried latex paint on electric planes?
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »
Just curious, since we do not have to worry about fuel proofing there shouldn't be any reason not to use latex paint.  Home Depot sells small containers of paint that will easily thin down by an equal part water.  They also offer an infinite number of colors, what I don't know is it available in high gloss.  Also is it available in outdoor versions (UV stable).  It may not be important for UV protection since the plane will spend most of the time indoors.  Anyway as long as we are flying electric, it makes sense to me to investigate all the other choices in paint.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Has anybody tried latex paint on electric planes?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
Acrylic should work, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
I had a couple of planes that Mr Meriwether painted  with house paint.  Don't know if it was latex or not.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »
Every tihing you ever wanted to know about latex paint.

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

Go down the left hand side and look at latex paint part 1 & 2

#^   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
It works on scale electric - don't know if it adds weight.  My LA-5 done in latex
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
That looks cool. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
My Galloping Comedian done in exterior latex
Jim Jorgensen

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »
My first attempt using latex, this was interior latex.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
I have one electric model with latex house paint, and three glow powered with latex house paint.

The only real difference is that the glow powered models need a clear coat that is fuel proof and the electric powered models will need a clear coat to make the finish look correct but does not need to be fuel proof.

I fiberglass the models, then prime them with spray can primer from lowes, spray on the flat latex house paint (compressor and air gun), clear coat, then the decals and then another coat of clear. For the glow powered models I used nelson clear with cross linker. for the electric models use the same clear but skip the cross linker. Decals do not stick well to flat latex house paint, that is the reason for the first coat of clear, then decals.

the picture below the spitfire and hellcat are both painted with flat latex house paint, then nelson clear coat (gloss). I haven't painted a model with dope for over 10 years and now only use the latex house paint. Radio control scale started using latex house paint a long time ago. The Corsair is covered with monokote.

the paint is really easy to clean up with water and lots cheaper than the model paints I use to buy.

Fred C.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
Home depot has Martha Stewart   (yuck) acrylic latex in some bad to the bone metalic colors silver,gold,torquoise,red,blue,bronze etc in a small container.Sprays quite well and has no smell.Much safer for most who are borderline on smells and danger factor especially outside in mother natures paint booth.    Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »
I used interior latex on a strega to get the custom colors I wanted. It was fuel proofed with lustercote gloss clear. I did use gloss latex as well. One issue. It does not sand at all! Dry sanding it gunks paper so fast you will not believe it, wetsanding it dissolves and goes away. The rc scale guys use it for the flats. Key is plan on using the result you get when you shoot cause you cannot do much with it other than shoot clear on it. It dries pretty quickly... can be quickened with a heat gun or hair dryer.  Works best when the flowable additive is used (flowtrol I think? See the rc threads on using it). Colors can be mixed in anything you want. It gets heavy fast so be careful there.

bob branch.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
I spray outside and let the model gas off before bringing the model into the house

Ask for latex house paint, exterior grade and have them match the color you need.

I have found that lowes does an ok job matching the color did not match my color chips very well because they did it quickly, they were close but with some military colors they were not correct.

if you need an exact match go a real paint store like Sherwin Williams and ask them to get an exact match, my sherwin williams store was willing to do that and I came back the next day. The color was an exact match to my color chip.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
This is really cool, I now am convinced that using Latex paint is a good idea.  I was at Lowes and purchased a small sample container of their interior flat for the undercoat, I thing I will red and black for the finish.  I am guessing I will need to thin the paint down to about the consistency of milk and give it a test try with my new spray setup. 

Again thanks everybody for your help. ;D
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
One thing about it ....everyone has plenty of thinner too.....Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
I thin my paint with water, there comes a point where the paint is too runny, but it can be also too thick. Try a sample piece to figure out the right amount of thinner. Also need to work with the air gun needle setting and the pressure. Make sure you have a pressure regulator at the air gun and not at the tank. You want a consistent pressure at the air gun. I read his original article in one of the magazines, followed his steps and it's worked just great.

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here