News:

• May 08, 2024, 06:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plettenberg Orbit 2510 - Loose shaft - suggestions to repair please>>  (Read 856 times)

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on here...too busy flying (and pranging) models  :-(   ... but now I'm asking for help!

A couple of weeks ago I was flying my competition F2B model and unfortunately in the vertical part of an outside square the motor suddenly stopped (there had been a little vibration in the model prior to that) - after the stoppage the model came 'in' on me and I wasn't fast enough moving backwards to retain control before it met with the ground...

Needless to say the model was written off - the motor and the battery/timer/Esc were spread about in the debris and because everything was apart it was hard to see why the motor had suddenly stopped...

However I have since come up with this as the reason.... the female plug in the wiring loom from the Esc to the timer was becoming a little loose and I now believe the vibration (which I now think was caused by a new and slightly out of balance spinner)  has caused the plug to come off the timer circuit board and the motor stopped.

I checked the motor with a 'Dial' gauge indicator and ran it up on the bench since the accident and all appeared to be straight and running true with no problems and I installed it all back (except I used a new timer) into another model which I had been in the process of 'restoring' (I didn't like the original paint job) and yesterday had my first flights with this model.

I had a few issues then too - the Esc plug was still loose and I did a solder job on the pins (tinning them) at the field to ensure the plug would not come loose again.  I decided to run the motor up on the ground to check that it was going to continue to run for the designated time which was about 5 minutes; however about 3 min into the run the whole shaft and prop assembly decided to separate from the motor and exited out the front of the model by about 1.5 Inches!

The motor (a Plettenberg Orbit 2510) apparently doesn't have a grub screw or circlip to retain the shaft inside the motor???  I'm thinking a couple of things may have caused this to occur and am asking for advice now how to repair it.  The possible causes I see are:

1. The shaft is a tight press fit in the bearings within the motor and was possibly retained in there with some high temp 'Locktite' or similar.  During the accident in the previous model this glue 'seal' was broken and allowed the shaft to come out of it's normal position.

2. The action of me running the motor on the ground where it became hotter than normal without the usual ventilation into it when flying caused the glue to soften and the shaft to come out?

3.  A combination of both above...?

So now the problem is how to fix it?  Any ideas?  I've pushed the shaft back into place however am reluctant to use it again for fear of this happening whilst in the air.....  Would use of a 'hig temperature 'Locktite' solve the problem when I put the shaft back into position?

Thanks... and sorry about the long winded story but I thought it would help all to know how the problem was possibly manifested>.

Bruce H
Bruce

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Plettenberg Orbit 2510 - Loose shaft - suggestions to repair please>>
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:24:51 AM »
There was a thread on that topic back in September.  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=23225.0 . I had the same problem but with a Plett 15-18. I repaired it using JB weld,but I do think the locktite method would be just as good or better. I have not flown mine since as I have been working on other things so I cannot give a flight report. The shaft on the 15-18 is longer than the motor and sticks out the back so I also put a 5mm collar there to keep it from pulling out again.
AMA 98010

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
 #^Bruce that was me that lost a shaft while running ,I reported to Platt. and they sent me a new shaft with instruction on not to over tighten the prop. #^ #^
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Bruce Hoffmann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
#^Bruce that was me that lost a shaft while running ,I reported to Platt. and they sent me a new shaft with instruction on not to over tighten the prop. #^ #^

Thanks for all that information.... and for the link to the other post.   I'll have a look at a couple of old Arrowind's and see if the shaft is any longer (I think they will be the same dia) - at least they have a circlip on the end to prevent them pulling through..!  I'll also grab some of the high temp Locktite and perhaps spear off the manufacturer an email.  Seems a bit over the top to suggest you should not tighten the prop too much!  I'm thinking that it may have been a few different issues that caused mine to come loose... the first being the collision with the ground and then the second running the motor up on the ground and getting it a little more hot than normal.  A bit of a concern though... I don't want to be flying and for the same thing to occur!

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here