News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hacker 30 XL10 can movement  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hacker 30 XL10 can movement
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
Guys,
I have a Hacker 30 XL 10 that has only about 25 flights and it has developed to some looseness in the can moving about .008". The circle clip is in place in its groove so it seems that bearings are either wearing or they have had the races move in. How much movement is acceptable?

Best,      DennisT

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hacker 30 XL10 can movement
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Hmmm, just shootin in the dark here:

New motor - how about bearings SEATING?  Maybe they were not pressed all the way home during assembly.

Just for jollies, check the setscrew between the bell and the shaft - it is not locked down, did it allow any shifting?

Do you have any other bad bearing symptoms like clunky rotation or excess side movement?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
check for wear on the c-clip it self
rad racer

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Guys,
I talked to the Hacker USA office and they said that up to 1/32" movement is not a concern provided that the bears are smooth with no black stuff coming out of them, that the circ clip is secure in it's groove and the can set screws are tight on the shaft. They felt that the bearings will seat a little after some run time. One thing they feel is worth doing is to lub the bearings with light bearing oil once every 6 months and keep the motor clean if you fly from a dusty field.

Based on this I have oiled up the bearings with bearing lub that I got from Boca Bearings and will reassemble tonight an if the weather allows fly tomorrow.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
Guys,
I flew the Hacker 30 XL10 this weekend and proved that science is right again. Aluminum expands more than the steel shaft as it warmes up!!!!! Once the motor was up to normal ops temp the end play was gone. When you think about it there should be some play to reduce the stress on the bearings as the motor warms (duh). This was one of those things you just don't think about until you notice it. As long as there is no rough spots as you turn the motor over a little end play is normal at room temperature (around 72F or so). Lesson noted.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: motor  hacker 

Advertise Here