News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model Aviation  (Read 881 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Model Aviation
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
Just got into the latest issue last night.  In it is an article aimed at beginners in electric.   I thought it was well written.   Explained a few things I didn't know about electric motors.  Looks like it could be good for CL reading also.  Yes it is RC oriented.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Model Aviation
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »
Yes John,

The article is OK as far as it goes but does not cover many many aspects of Electric model aviation that are very important!! Read that article and you are nowhere nearly ready to go in the electric model world. Such things as ESC selection and programming, battery requirements (selection, charging, storage and safety) and, of course since it is RC oriented, nothing about timers is not touched on.

Maybe a start but still a long way to go.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:18:10 AM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Maybe we could get someone here to write an article for MA that would cover the CL basics. Maybe Bob Hunt, like he doesn't have anything better to do. ;D

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
Better choices would be Dean Pappas or Will DeMauro...

Bob Hunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
Maybe a start but still a long way to go.

I think you may be over-complicating things, John.

To get to the top tier, yes, you need to know a lot.  But to just go out and fly you need a timer and you need everything that comes over the counter when you ask the hobby shop guy for "everything I need for an xx-ounce 3D airplane".

Plenty of guys start flying RC without any clue of how to proceed other than to plug the outies into the innies and push the throttle stick forward.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
I have already covered almost all of those topics  in my Stunt News columns. I try very hard to keep my columns simple and aimed toward the beginners to ECL and the Sport flyers. I also make it a point to show the budget stuff as well as the high end stuff. Yes there is some budget stuff that works pretty darn good. I also contributed to an Allen Brickhaus article on electric's and cl. This hasn't been published yet and I'm not sure if it was going in FM or MA. If he hasn't sent it in I do have the final draft and I can eventually get it published. What I have asked for in the last few articles that I have written was for somebody to come forward and help me to write an article on the KR timer. I have never used one and know very little about them, but I am always hearing good things here about them. So since this topic came up I will ask here too. Please email or pm me  if you want to help. Another place where most of the beginner stuff is covered is right here. There is more ECL stuff here than anywhere else. There is very little or maybe even nothing that hasn't been covered here. The search engine is your friend. I also answer PM's here and emails as do many others here.

AMA 98010

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »
For technical data about the KR Governor just go to Keith Renekle's web site www.keithrenecle.co.za.

If what you are looking for is real world flying field results I would suggest that you contact Andy Borgogna. He is the person on this side of the world who has done all of the field testing of the Governor. Andy can be reached at abborgogna@hotmail.com

Although I have a lot of data available I would suggest that Andy is the better person to contact. As you know RSM Distribution is the North & South American distributor for the product so anything I could say about the KR Governor could be construed as questionable as you might worry that I was extolling the virtue of the product. At the very best my comments could be considered a conflict of interest as I have a vested interest in selling as many of the Governors as possable. You and the rest of the C/L community would be better served hearing about the KR Governor from someone who has no financial interest in the product.

Best regards

Eric Rule

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here