News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Take-offs in Gov. Mode, ... For AMA (and FAI?)  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Great Take-offs in Gov. Mode, ... For AMA (and FAI?)
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:27:01 PM »
Hi Gang,

This is a follow on to my Great Landings post. In an effort to conserve Battery power, I changed my Idle speed from a fast idle to "0" idle speed. This saved >200 mAh of wasted energy.

As a side benefit, the sloooooow start up I had programed into the CC controller now showed up. It must have been masked by the high idle speed I was using, that jumped to full speed quickly after 30 sec.

Now I have "Great Takeoffs" to go with my great power on landings. When I pull the string on my stooge, the plane barely moves as the motor continues to speed up. Then it rolls for about 60 feet before lifting off. (easily controlled to ensure liftoff is before 100', 1/4 lap) as the speed uniformly builds up the plane goes into the sweetest slow climb you could ever ask for!  It does what the rules say a TO should be like. Before the second lap is completed the plane is up to full speed and ready for the wingover!

My TOs have gone from embarrassing to Awesome with just a little practice! .... Now, if I can find a way to get some "Electron Magic" to help me with my embarrassingly out of shape hour glass ..... I will be an even happier camper!   #^

Regards,

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:20:40 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
Re: Great Take-offs in Gov. Mode, ... For AMA (and FAI?)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:39 AM »
Rudy,

I wish the weather here in the north east would let me keep up with your development/fun/pratice on my Electric Bearcat.

28 degrees as I speak this morning,  April 6. 

Linheart

linheart

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
Rudy,
Since I put on the CC Phoenix ESC on with the JMP timer, I see the same thing. The "run up" speed is set to zero, and then the spool-up takes a fair amount of time. The trick is to figure when exactly to release. I do worry a little that on a bumpy grass field that a slow takeoff might have a bump might push the plane inward. I will see.

Currently I am down to 2100mAH on my Super Clown using an APC 9-4.5 (running at 12krpm). With my 9-4 Graupner (running at 14k rpm), it was taking 2500 mAHr.The JMP lets me turn down the throttle and put on a bigger prop. Now I have an APC 9-6 which I have setup to run at 9200rpm. With this windy coldsnap in the Chicago area it hasn't been possible to try. I am really curious to see where this is going (I note APC makes 9-7 and 9-8 thin electric props).

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:52:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

Linhart,

I am sorry to hear about your poor flying WX. 28 degrees is just plain cruel in April! :-(   I hope you get to fly soon. I moved (escaped?) out here when I was 17 and never went back! I do remember flying in the snow as a kid. We would tramp out a circle and fly. I still have the scars on my fingers from being cut by the sharp nylon props. We did not know that you were supposed to sand them 1st :-(  We did not even know how much we were cut until we got home and our fingers thawed out. The oil and Nitro in the cut did not help the healing! ;-)

I won't be rude and mention what our WX is here, but I have been able to fly a little more than you have. The good news is that the calendar is in your favor, you should be flying that beautiful Bearcat real soon. :-)

Alan,

Good point about the grass. I should have mentioned that. 90% of my flying is in the park, on grass, near my home. Your right, you have to get used to the sound of the power needed to start the TO roll safely before launching the plane. It only took a few flights before I got it right. I started on the "high" side and backed into the correct amount of power needed before pulling the stooge sting.

It helps that my planes are set up for grass. My P-40 and Vector-40  have the gear well forward, axles approx. >1" ahead of the wing, and 2.5" wheels. When I said in my prior post that the plane barely moves upon release, I should have mentioned that the power was already coming up so that there was a good airflow over the Stab/El to help prevent a nose over. I'm sure it will be even better next week when I fly it off our cement club field.

RE: Props. That is a subject that deserves it's own thread! ;-) ...... It is interesting that you and Linhart both have such good success with higher pitch props. I think he uses an APC 12 x 6 to fly his beautiful Bearcat. .......It goes against the current thinking of less pitch and more diameter, but it is hard to argue with success! :-) 

I use a Bolly CF 3B 11 x 4 prop from Randy Smith @ approx. 11,500 RPM.  It pulls my 56 oz. 560 sq. in wing area, Profile P-40 at 57 MPH and a 5.0 Lap time (62' eye to eye lines + 5' for; arm, LOs, handle, and 1/2 wing). This is a PERFECT set up, (Thanks for the advice Randy! ), giving excellent line tension throughout the entire flight and giving a good pace to the maneuvers. I use 3,000 mAh from my 4,200 mAh TP 14.8V battery for a 5 min. 10 sec. flight.

Linhart, Alan,

It looks like 2007 will be a very exciting year for Electric CL. As soon as you guys back East start flying this year we will see more and more great ideas coming from your "Eastern Flyers" braintrust! Sparky's excellent forum has made it possible to have our minds function like the "BORG". This should allow us to move ahead at an accelerated pace.  :-)

I hope the WX gods smile on you soon.  #^

Regards,
Rudy
Hermosa Beach, CA
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:56:29 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 02:17:38 AM »
A short update on the ECL Take offs.

As I stated below, the TOs on grass worked great. I finally got a chance to use this slow spool up method on pavement at our clubs Palmer Memorial contest this past weekend.  I can now state that the ECL TOs on pavement are FANTASTIC! You can easily go right up to a little < 1/4 of a lap then lift off slowly and gradually climb to 5' right over the spot of your launch. I even scored very high in the TO. Now if I can get my hourglass score up to 1/2 my TO score, I will be a happy camper.  ;)

Bob/Dean, Linheart, and the rest of you, I think you are really going to like this setup when you get a chance to try it.  HH%%

Regards, 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:22:24 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »
Had my first flight in three months today.   The timer was set for only two minute because I have got to reset the motor speed back to where it was before I tried Heli mode. 

Dean,  I set the ESC to Heli Fixed point (to get the desired static RPM), How does this differ from Heli high and Heli Low?
linheart

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:34:28 PM »
Had my first flight in three months today.   The timer was set for only two minute because I have got to reset the motor speed back to where it was before I tried Heli mode. 

Dean,  I set the ESC to Heli Fixed point (to get the desired static RPM), How does this differ from Heli high and Heli Low?

Hi Linhaert,

I'm glad to hear that you finally got to fly. I know that you were not happy with the governor mode last year. I hope you reconsider. Like you, I hated the very poor glide landings, but as I mentioned on this thread, there is a great solution, an improvement even.

The 7 sec. warning from the JMP Timer does not get through to the motor, which is a bummer. But, IMHO, this nice feature is worth giving up for the improved landings. I hope you try it.

Heli High is the setting we need in gov. mode to get the high RPM we require with our setups. The Heli Low setting will not allow the RPM to go high enough for us. (Per Dean).
      My understanding is that the "Fixed" Heli setting will not work for our setup. I'm sure Dean will tell us why. ..... I's nice to have the "Answer man" as our moderator! :-)

Again, Glad to see your back flying your beautiful Bearcat after a loooong winter!  #^

Regards,
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »
Hello All,

This morning (4-21-07) dawned 60 degrees and 0-5 mph here in Boston Massachusetts.  My batteries were charged and so were the airplanes.  Off to the field I went at eight am. 

The JMP3 timer was set up for four minutes.  I enjoyed four flights with Electric Bearcat back in good Trim.
Guess what.  The ESC was set on Heli Fixed Points.  The motor spooled up for the rolling T.O.  It spooled down for that power on Two wheeled landing and it gave me a two Blip warning. 

I was alone as usual and really wished my fellow Electric Enthusiast were there to share the beauty of the moment.

Thanks to Robert Storick, I can at least share my experiances on this forum.

Linheart

linheart

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50:38 PM »
Hi Linheart,

Looks like Spring has finally Sprung. For awhile there I thought you guys were living in a Dr. Zhivago movie? Thanks for sharing your electrifying moment, sounds great! I'm glad you liked the rolling TOs and power on landings. It looks like I have more experimenting to do to get my blips back.

I am going to follow your lead and try the Fixed Point setting, maybe our JMP3 timer likes this setting better? I think Dean and the NJ boys are all using the Z timers and maybe theirs likes the Heli Hi? ..... Thanks for sharing the results of your successful experiment. :-)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
I am using the JMP2 timer on my Super Clown with the stock motor (kV=1500). I have to run in the low governor mode to get the rpm in the range I want for higher pitched props 8k to 10krpm. Unfortunately the JMP-2 throttle increment (64 steps from off to full on) ends up being ~800rpm per step. It does make it tough to get the "just right" rpm I need for a given pitch. I tried the high governor mode, but then I was tweaking down at around 1/4 throttle onthe jmp2 timer to get ~12krpm. Since I wanted to go lower, I was stuck I thought. Maybe I should just give up Heli governor mode.

But it is a lot of fun to play around!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 10:15:12 PM »
I am using the JMP2 timer on my Super Clown with the stock motor (kV=1500). I have to run in the low governor mode to get the rpm in the range I want for higher pitched props 8k to 10krpm. Unfortunately the JMP-2 throttle increment (64 steps from off to full on) ends up being ~800rpm per step. It does make it tough to get the "just right" rpm I need for a given pitch. I tried the high governor mode, but then I was tweaking down at around 1/4 throttle onthe jmp2 timer to get ~12krpm. Since I wanted to go lower, I was stuck I thought. Maybe I should just give up Heli governor mode.

But it is a lot of fun to play around!

Hi Allan,

I may be mistaken, but I thought the 64 steps between  0 RPM and 12,000 RPM gave us steps of about 188 RPM each.  I have found this to be fine enough for my adjustments made for different wind conditions, and/or props. ..... If yours is jumping 800 RPM with each step something may be amiss in your controler's setup? ..... Your right, 800 RPM jumps is too course for our purposes!

I hope you can resolve this. Now that Linheart has discovered how to get the "blip" warning while in Gov. mode, we can get all it's advantages, without any downside. It may be to your advantage to stay in Gov. mode if you can get your setup sorted out?

I have no problem in Hi Heli Gov mode setting my motor to run at 0 RPM for my 30 sec idle time, then up to 11,200 RPM for flight speed. (with my 3B CF 11 x 4 prop). I have also used a CF 10 x 6 prop at approx. 10,000 RPM with this setup.

I hope you can find a solution. Maybe Dean, Mike, or ? can give us some ideas?

Regards,
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 06:49:24 AM »
Rudy,

I am loving this "Heli Fixed point" mode.  With an APC 12-6 electric prop the Bearcat is flying insides and outsides, verticals and hour glass with proper line tension.  I can hear the prop sing differently on the verticals and overheads.

The 4000 amp hour polyquest are consistently recharging at 3.18 amps.  My JMP 3 timer is set for 34 secs
zero RPM.  Total time 5:15.  This is JUST enough time to complete the pattern.  The static RPM  starts out at about 9000 the settles quickly to 8600. 

linheart

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »
Rudy,
For some reason I missed your reply.
I have to run in the "low" governor mode due to some combination of the relatively high kV of the stock Brodak motor (=1500) and the pole count (10 permanent magnets which feed back to the ESC to track motor speed). In any case the actual rpm jump must be much higher in low mode than high mode. I only tried a few trials in high mode. I was having a tough time dropping below 12krpm---even with the JMP2 timer at less than 1/4 throttle. I didn't try to see how low  I could drop the rpm though in "high" mode. The values in "low" mode that I could actually get are 7.8, 8.5, 9.2, 9.9, 10.8, 11.9, 12.9 krpm (this is with a 3s lipo). I am thinking about trying a 2s lipo or equivalent to see how a high pitch prop/low rpm will compare efficiency and weight wise with a low pitch/high rpm setup.

So yes it is a little tough with my particular setup. But I have been learning a few things about props that I didn't appreciate before.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 01:11:55 PM »
Hi Rudy,
The HI or LOW governor mode decision is based on the number of electrical cycles per mechanical revolution.
It's actually the commutation RPM range. Though not an exact method, most motors "cog" once per phase. The AXI 2826/10 has 14 cogs per rev.
The lowest I can get it to run is maybe 6,000 in the HIGH range, then you fall off the low end of the ESC RPM versus pulse width curve. Everything from 1000 uS to maybe 1200 is dead stop. This happens at about 2000 RPM in the low range with the AXI.

The maximum RPM that can be commanded may be very high. I don't know what it is, because I have never put a high enough voltage battery on the motor to see where it will go. If your motor cogs fewer times per rev, you may need the low range.

Hi Linheart,
So how did you get the JMP to give you a warning blip? Did I miss the explanation?

later, Friends! #^
         Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
Thanks Dean,
I am able to get the JMP-2 to give me the end-of-flight "blip", even with the CC 35A ESC in governor mode. It isn't a full drop due to the filter of the ESC governor mode, but it is noticeable

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »
Thanks Alan,
It's good to know that you didn't need to do anything extravagant.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here