News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:28:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: you cant fix stupid!  (Read 596 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
you cant fix stupid!
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
had a pretty good case of "you idiot" disease yesterday at our latest competition -  flew in 2 classes and in both - the 3rd rounds were big fat 0 scores.......heres why

1) talking in the pits before the first "3rd flight" I forgot to change out my pack - all good until the horizontals - then low voltage cutout kicked in.....landed upside down......no problem - just no score.

2) Last round of F2B - again talking in the pits before flight - into the circle - takeoff - wingover ...........Out comes the pack.......land upside down.....no damage........I forgot to put the velcro strap on my pack to hold it in.

you cant fix stupid!!!!   

I guess it is a good case for focusoing on what you should be doing and having a checklist before each flight.......instead of talking BS with everyone else..
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: you cant fix stupid!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »
So what is more important? A silly score or talking some good BS?  H^^  Everyone who participates in this hobby for a list of scores raise you hand!

I suspect the BS wins.....So don't feel bad Wynn. Let the good times roll. Hell, you should have gotten some points for two sucessfull zero damage inverted landings in one day. I'd give you points for that!

bob branch

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »
Wynn,
Had something similar when I first started, didn't keep track of which battery was used. My solution is to use an ammo box with separators to hold the batteries and on one end of each battery fix a small piece of green tape, on the other red tape. All charged batteries go into the box with the green side up, as I use them I put them back with the red side up. This has worked great for me.

Best,             Dennis

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »
I put a rubber band on the charged packs, take it off before flight.  No band -- no charge.

(This is for RC, but I'm pretty sure it'll work for control line, too  :) )
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
Wynn:
Am laughing and crying over your pain.   :'(   I have also done the "wrong pack" routine, but have survived each time...

Tim W: what a brilliant and elegant soultion - cannot possibly work for for CL - can it??  ???  :o  LL~  LL~  LL~  8)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
Dennis

No it doesn't. Glow flyers dribble fuel on your rubber bands and the break.  HB~>

bob branch

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
O.K............I reckon that I have the record here! (Not sure why we're bragging about being dumb??) Last year, I went out to test a software change on my Electron and the grass on the local sports field where I fly, was very long. It's actually a cricket field and the pitch itself was still good, so I stuck the lines out into the rough and took off on the pitch. The wind was gusty and the rpm was too high, so after the flight I placed the model back on the pitch, set the rpm lower and repositioned the model because the wind had shifted a lot.

I switched on the system with my usual 25 second delay, and walked out to my handle. I was alone by the way. Guess what?? My handle had disappeared in the long grass! When I shifted the take-off position I had pulled the lines and handle around and the result was that the handle had gone into a small hole in the long grass and was invisible. I could not even spot the lines! The motor started up and I tried to spot the handle, but of course it ran off the pitch and started lifting up. Luckily it hit the long grass first and broke the undercart off with very little extra damage. I have since been donated a bright pink shoelace for a safety thong by Lionel Smith's wife Maxi. I know that I should have use a stooge, but when there are no people anywhere around I just got lazy. It would have made a great You Tube video!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:21:55 AM »
the more stupid thing is that I use battery buddies - red ones for charged packs - black for used - still mussed up by chin wagging too much....and not actually changing the pack at all

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here