News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good Starting Point for Programming  (Read 723 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Good Starting Point for Programming
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »
I finally got the last items I needed for ECL - and now was wondering if anyone could give me a good starting point for programming the setup

What I am looking for is a programme for the following system

Motor: Axi 2820/12
ESC:   Castle Creations Phoenix 45
Timer :Ztron V4
Battery: Zippy Flightmax 3300mAh 4S
Prop: more than likely APC 12 x 6E

Would like to run in governor mode/constant speed

any help appreciated

Thanks

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Alan Hahn

Re: Good Starting Point for Programming
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »
I finally got the last items I needed for ECL - and now was wondering if anyone could give me a good starting point for programming the setup

What I am looking for is a programme for the following system

Motor: Axi 2820/12
ESC:   Castle Creations Phoenix 45
Timer :Ztron V4
Battery: Zippy Flightmax 3300mAh 4S
Prop: more than likely APC 12 x 6E

Would like to run in governor mode/constant speed

any help appreciated

Thanks

(just removed my reply from the quotes)
Wynn,
one comment is that governor mode is constant rpm, not airspeed--just in case you were unaware.

My guess is that you will be shooting for an rpm somewhere between 8000 and 9500 rpm, depending on your prop choice airplane, line length and desired lap time.

So for your ESC, I would start out with the defaults, and choose CL governor as the aircraft type. You can fine adjust after you find the rpm that makes you feel comfortable.

I chose the "Set RPM" mode---that gives you the ability to choose 3 rpms, depending on how you setup the Ztron timer throttle setting. Basically for throttle settings less than 50% full, you get rpm#1, for values between 50% and ~90% you get rpm#2, and over the 90% you get rpm #3.

Other guys like a more continuous setting that you get with (I think) "Governor High mode". Each Timer throttle setting will correspond to an rpm setting. Probably lowest (other than "off") rpm will be in the 7-8000 rpm range and go up from there.

Your AXi motor has 14 magnets--that will be the value you put into the CC governor window--it is how the ESC keeps track or rpm--it counts the magnets rotating by.

I would setup the Ztron for the initial flights to be ~1-2 minutes long, since you will be dialing things in and there is no reason to burn a lot of electrons with settings that give you lap times too slow or too fast.

Also at first I would make myself a little disk to mount on the motor  instead of a propeller. Divide the disk into quarters, with opposite quarters blackened. That lets you use a tach to measure the rpms, but doesn't overload your setup like a prop might do. Remember the prop load at rest is a lot (~30%) higher than you get while flying, so it is easy to overload if you run static tests with the actual prop for any real length of time.

There of course is more, but maybe that will get you started.

I don't have the Ztron 4, so I am not sure what variables you can set, so I am sure others will chime in with suggestions.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:00:44 AM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »
Hi Wynn,
Just a quick point on the AXI 2826/12. The rpm/volt (kv) is 780, so this may not give you the required rpm on an APC 12 x 6E prop. Igor Burger was running this motor at the last world champs, and used a 6 cell A123 battery pack. This gave 18 volts, and he was setting the rpm in governor mode to around 9000. Your 4 cell LIPO will be a bit low, so you will need to go up in pitch, use shorter lines etc. The AXI 2826/10 works best on 4-cells with the APC 12 x 6 E prop. A 5 cell Lipo will give the extra rpm, but then the weight goes up.

It's all a compromise, so you can indeed get this motor to work well. Like everything else in C/L stunt.......it's all a compromise.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:41:19 AM »
Wynn,

What size airframe?  What airframe weight?  What line length? What is your desired lap speed?

With this information, I could send you a program for the Pheonix that should get you close.  I don't know the performance of your AXI 2820/12, but you could use a simple tach and quick static test to confirm that it either works or doesn't.  780 Kv sounds a bit low unless you will run on short lines.  My experience with the 12 x 6 & 12 x 6P show them to pull good in the 8400-8600 range. 

The key to the Castle governor is to run it in the 70-93% throttle range.  This value can be seen when you click on the info button next to the selected RPM and it will tell you what percentage throttle you would be using.  It is important that you enter your motor info correctly so that it will display the correct value.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
If this is your Vector, then mine flies on 63 foot line (eye to eye) at 8000 rpm on the APC 12-6 E prop and a kV=746 rpm/volt and a 4s battery.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here