News:

• May 04, 2024, 05:52:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Golf Cart Stunt  (Read 714 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Golf Cart Stunt
« on: June 30, 2007, 04:28:13 AM »
Well not really but you guys seem to have a vast knowledge of motor controllers so thought I would throw this out..

I have a couple of old Cushman electric carts, one is a golf cart I use to haul my airplanes from the shop to my flying circle (see it really is about airplanes) the other is a newly acquired utility cart. Both have resistor speed controls, basically consisting of a foot operated rotary switch that switches in/out resistors depending on how far the peddle is pressed.

I have a pretty good background in electronics but not in high current motor controllers. Replacement solid state controllers for golf carts are pretty expensive and was wondering about the feesability of building a couple for my carts.

First question is what device is used to actually regulate the current to the motor. A string of high current pass transistors (think power supply) might work but the resulting heat sink and transistors would be pretty large.. Anyone have any idea of how this is done????

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Golf Cart Stunt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 05:02:16 PM »
if the motor is a brushed DC motor, several companies made speed controllers with pretty high amp capacity before the brushless craze hit.  If it uses standard MOSFET's(and even better if you can see the part numbers) you can look up the voltage they can stand.  The cart probably uses two or three batteries.  Many MOSFET's are good for 40 v. or more, so they would be OK.  You also need to measure the no load rpm and the speed vs. voltage at several rpms so you can use one of the ElectiCalc programs to see what the max amp draw might be.  The FAI electric glider guys were using some controllers with awesome voltage and amperage capacity back then.  Something like 40 cells and 80 amps.  Might be able to find one on Ebay and just plug it in.
phil Cartier

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 06:02:29 AM »
I'm curious...

In dollars, just how expensive is the golf cart controller?

Is that the prime failure mode of the vehicle?   

I notice that courses around  here are upgrading their fleets.  Maybe you could salvage one off an old cart easier than engineering your own.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »
Both have standard DC motors, one has six 6 volt batteries (36 volts) and the other has four (24 volts). Both are operating as-is and have for 40 or so years. I just know that solid state controls are more efficient than switched resistors and was thinking if I could build a solid state control cheap enough it might be worth doing. Replacement golf cart controllers are in the 2 to 3 hundred buck range and neither cart is worth investing that kind of money in.

It was worth a shot but probably not worth the effort especially considering they work the way they are.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here