News:

• May 24, 2024, 01:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Geo-XLe  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Jason Greer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Geo-XLe
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:02 PM »
I've been working on a new model.  I've got it to the point where I can stick everything together and see what its going to look like.  For me this is a very important step to keep me motivated to complete a model. :)

The airframe as you see it including the motor, spinner, and prop weighs 28.5 ounces.  The battery, timer, and esc weighs 15 ounces.  My target final weight is 55 ounces.  Right now it looks like I might just make that weight or possibly come in slightly under.  This is a fairly large model with a 62.5" wingspan and over 700 sq in of area. 

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Geo-XLe
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
Nice looking model.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »
Wow Jason, very impressive!!! Please send pictures as you progress.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 06:46:20 AM »
Looks very nice Jason, 55 ounces sounds good for that airplane as it has a thin airfoil!!!!
Matt Colan

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »
Great work Jason!!

With that light of a wing loading, you will definatly be able to use smaller packs as the power demand will be less.  What system did you decide to go with in this airframe?  The 13 x 4.5P would be a natural for this bird.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:40:18 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I'll update this thread as I make progress.  Hopefully I can make some good progress over the long weekend. 

Archie,
My power system will be the following:
Scorpion 3026 710
Flightmax 5s 3000(only 13 ounces and 35 bucks)
phoenix 35 or ice 50

I have several props to experiment with including 13x4.5p and 13x6.5p.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »
NIIIIICE!  Nice weight too.  Is this the one you were planning for 5S power?  Gonna have power to burn my friend!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
Thanks Dennis!  Originally I had planned a 6s power system, but I wanted to be able to use a standard Scorpion motor(not a custom wind).  I also wanted to be able to use my phoenix 35 esc if I needed to. 

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
Jason,

I can't wait to hear how this works for you.  You are off to a great start.  If you hit your target weight, I think that you will have battery to spare.  That is a good problem to have.  How long of lines do you plan to use?

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »
Archie,

I'm really excited about this model.  I think i'm going to start off on 68' lines and see how it works out. 

I've made little progress over the past two weeks.  I've managed to get all of the sub assemblies glued together, but i've kind of stalled on the cowling.  Hopefully I can get that part figured out and forge ahead with the finish.  The cold weather here has really halted my enthusiasm so I havent been working on this model as much as i'd hoped.  I just hope to have it finished up before this summer...My main goal is to have it sorted out by nationals time.

Jason 

El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:37:48 PM »
Jason,

Is that center of handle to center of airframe?  Remember that AMA limit is 70' center to center.  I can only run 67' on my new bird, but it does have a 68" span.  I will be running 66' and hopefully 0.015" if I am able to meat my weight goal of 54 ounces.

I can't wait to see how well this works for you. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
Archie,

Sorry, I meant 68' center to center.  I was thinking that the upper limit for .015 was 64 ounces?

I'm excited to see your 68" model.  Have you started construction yet?

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
Not yet, still finalizing design.  Lovely thing about CAD.  Working on lighter construction and figuring weights.  Going with foam wing and tail fully sheeted as I don't have anywhere to to a dope and tissue finish.  It will be a glass and epoxy finish and painted with water based.  I have had great luck with this method.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:45 PM »
I cant wait to see what your working on.  I'm sure it will be awesome.  Will you be flying at the nats this year?  It'd be great to meet you guys and maybe do some flying together. 

I'm thinking about using foam on my next model.  I'm thinking about possibly going with 1/32" sheeting instead of 1/16 to save weight.  What are your thoughts?   
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
Not yet, still finalizing design.  Lovely thing about CAD.  Working on lighter construction and figuring weights.  Going with foam wing and tail fully sheeted as I don't have anywhere to to a dope and tissue finish.  It will be a glass and epoxy finish and painted with water based.  I have had great luck with this method.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

Archie,
Sounds like a good candidate for Monokote or Ultracote on those sheeted surfaces!  My latest will be Ultracote instead of Monokote.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »
Crist,

I will be painting this bird.  I know I could do it very quickly and light with monocote, but I like to paint.  My last Nats bird got 19 points appearance.  Don't think I could get there with monocote.  I am shooting for 15-17 this year.  Should be able to get there.  Most important thing is weight.  52-54 ounces will be a tall order to get, but it looks as if Jason has it figured out.  I hope to have his success building this winter.

What are you covering with Jason?  I am a real sucker for a transparent scheme.  Coverite Micafilm is a great look.  Very strong and light too.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
The airframe as you see it including the motor, spinner, and prop weighs 28.5 ounces.  The battery, timer, and esc weighs 15 ounces.  My target final weight is 55 ounces.  Right now it looks like I might just make that weight or possibly come in slightly under.  This is a fairly large model with a 62.5" wingspan and over 700 sq in of area. 

An all up wet weight of 55 oz?

That is crazy light.  Werwage never had one with a wet weight that low...  His were close to that *DRY*.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
Brad,

Thats right.  55 oz is my target.  I really havent done anything special to achieve that weight.  I even put 1/64 ply doublers on the fuse sides.  I also put 3/32" vertical grain balsa from the leading edge of the wing to motor mount to add some vertical strength to the sides. 

Archie,

I'm going to use monokote on this model.  Initially I was going to paint it, but I just dont have the experience with painting to ensure a nice light finish.  In the future I'm going to give painting a try, but I just didnt want to ruin this model with a heavy finish.  I have so many things I want to try, but I just dont have the time...

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
BTW, I am told Ultracote is a little lighter than Monocote afraid I am going to HAVE to put that to the test.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
Jason,

Still keeping my vote with the Mica Film as would be a shame to cover up your beautiful workmanship.  The stregth of Mica film would also be a positive.  You have to use Balsa Rite brush on adhesive to cover, but I used in to help Big Art cover his Electric Powered OTS Yo-Yo and it worked as easy or easier than monocote I thought.  I think it even shinks better.

Any choice you make is going to be a winner as you have a great start on your model. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
Archie,

Mica film was a wonderful covering material.  I used to cover all of my gas free flight models with it as it was very rigid and puncture resistant.  I've already acquired the monokote to cover this model.  I may experiment in the future with other coverings.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 12:06:07 PM »
Micafilm is what I used for my Vector. I like the slightly translucent look.

I have been buying it (limited colors) from Tower--but I don't think I see it listed there anymore. So I am not sure if it is available.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:02 PM »
Nice looking Vector Alan.  I too was thinking that Micafilm had been discontinued.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
Is anyone kitting the Geo-XL? (laser short kit)
Pretty airplane!!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
Douglas,

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any laser cut kits for the Geo.  I sure wish there was. Personally, I think it would be a popular kit.  I would have bought one... :)

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
Nice looking Vector Alan.  I too was thinking that Micafilm had been discontinued.

Jason & Alan:
BP Hobbies carries a product they call "FibaFilm" that the say is similar to Micafilm.  I have not ordered any yet tho...

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V037439
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
I've made some progress.  I think I'm about ready to start installing fillets.  I've tried something new on the front end of this model that I dont know if I'll try again or not.  Any opinions on the shape of the nose are welcome.  The pictures dont show it real well.  Its basically an ellipse that is 2" by 2.25".  I was trying to maximize the airflow over the motor.  There will be another air intake on the bottom of the cowling that will direct airflow over the battery.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 01:57:40 AM »
Jayson that is what I'm doing to mt new plane also.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »
Larry,

That looks great.  Do you have any more pictures?  Is this your own design? 

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
Jason:
 Yes this is a own design, will take more pic as things progress, it will have about 650 plus sq at 62" wing span.power will be orbit 25-12 and a 5s4200mh battery, with a Shulze ESC for F2B  #^ #^ ( Ampura EX)
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
Larry, what kind of animal has been chewing on the cowl block resting on the bench? I  know it couldn't be you trying to gouge it out after all the molded pieces on the rest of the fuselage...

I think Jimby started something with the SR-71 type air inlet routing air over the undersize spinner and into the motor compartment. My China Clipper has the same detail. I will post photos if I can compress them.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
Larry, what kind of animal has been chewing on the cowl block resting on the bench? I  know it couldn't be you trying to gouge it out after all the molded pieces on the rest of the fuselage...

I think Jimby started something with the SR-71 type air inlet routing air over the undersize spinner and into the motor compartment. My China Clipper has the same detail. I will post photos if I can compress them.

I think it might be a Mongolian Balsa Gerbil...they only come out at night.

Larry & Jason- Really great idea on cooling, the faux cyl. cooling scoops should work great for battery cooling. Both are good looking models!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 09:36:19 PM »
I've started back to work on this model.  I'm hoping to have it ready to fly within the next couple of weeks. 

Thanks,
Jason

El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:17 AM »
I like it!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
It's finally finished.  I put a flew flights in on it last weekend.  I think it's going to be OK.  I'll post more details as far as weight and power settings tomorrow after I've finished fine tuning it.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
Clean and tidy!
I like it #^
    Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
Jason
Like Dean said, VERY clean looking - bet it will fly great.

Norm Whittle

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »
Thanks guys!  I may add some trim later.  We are having a local contest this weekend so I stopped covering for now so that I can get some flying time in on it.  I just weighed it and was suprised.  It is 52 ounces ready to fly. 
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »
Jason,

Looks great.  Sorry I will not make it down this year for the contest.

Zuriel
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
Thanks Zuriel.  Sorry you aren't going to make it.  Hopefully next time! 
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
Jason,
Details my man!  How'd the contest go?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
Hey Crist,

Well, I came in second with the new Geo on Sunday flying in the advanced class.  Saturday I was fortunate to win profile stunt with my electric profile.  I was really pleased with results after getting to fly the new model only 4 or 5 times before the meet.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 04:42:25 AM »
Hey Crist,

Well, I came in second with the new Geo on Sunday flying in the advanced class.  Saturday I was fortunate to win profile stunt with my electric profile.  I was really pleased with results after getting to fly the new model only 4 or 5 times before the meet.

Jason

Sounds like a great weekend - WTG! 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »
Thanks Dennis!  It's always fun flying and seeing friends that we only get to hang out with a couple of times a year.
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Hey Jason:
Did you use Bob Hunt's lost foam jig to build the wing ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
Hey Allan,

I did use Bob Hunt's Geo XL lost foam jig.  It worked as advertised and I was real pleased with the results.  Missed you in El Dorado a few weeks back.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here