News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front mount with rear support bearing - anyone still using this?  (Read 789 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Front mount with rear support bearing - anyone still using this?
« on: February 18, 2023, 02:49:48 PM »
Recently looked at a front mounted motor on my Ringmaster and noticed with some force could move the motor just slightly in/out. The mount is supported with three points and very solid but is plywood. I am thinking there is a little give in the wood even though the motor is very tight. I think a small rear support bearing might take care of it. Problem is there is not enough room to use the full bolt-on shaft but there is some of the motor shaft that sticks out (BadAss 2320 - 820kv). This motor uses a 4mm shaft, anyone know what type bearing I could use?

Best,    DennisT

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Front mount with rear support bearing - anyone still using this?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 06:00:37 PM »
I used to use a rear bearing years ago.  I don't think its really needed unless Paul and that group think it gives an edge.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 06:42:20 PM »
I did a little research at Boca Bearings and the ones I see are 4mm id, and 8 - 12mm od Flanged bearing  (https://www.bocabearings.com/search?p=Q&lbc=bocabearings&uid=582060431&ts=custom&w=metric%20flanged%20bearings&isort=score&method=and&view=list&cnt=12&af=id:4%20bearingtype:radialbearings).

Best,    DennisT

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 11:15:33 PM »
Dennis,
One of the first models I built with electric had a 3-ply exterior grade 1/8” plywood front mount that always gave me fits and it acted like it was loose (it was).  I fixed it by installing eyelets on the back side (inside the front mount) then trimmed the eyelets flush withe the front of the mount,  this kept the bolts from crushing the plywood mount when the bolts were tightened up.  It worked pretty good but I don’t use plywood for the front mount for that reason.  Use 090 Circuit board or G-10 is the best I’ve found so far.

Later,
Mikey

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 07:20:09 AM »
The problem with the slight movement is ware on the bearings.  They are cheap and easy to change.  I get an extra set when I buy a motor and so far I have not had to use them, but then I don't put 100 flights a month on my planes either.  The bushings in the holes are a must!

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 06:31:41 PM »
OK, the 4mm ID bearings came in Friday and I built the mount and installed. I thought I had a pretty straightforward way to get everything aligned but it needed some tweaking. I started by making a paper pattern then went to a 3/32" plywood. The first thing was to set the hole for the bearing to fit snug. Then made up some brass clips that mount to the plywood and hold the it all together. I mounded the bearing on the back end of the BadAss 2320 motor (it has just about 1/8" of shaft sticking out of the back of the motor which is just enough. Once the mount and bearing were fit to the fuse. I use JB Weld to attach the clips with clamps to the mount in position on the fuse. After the JBW cured I install screws thought the clips and then bolts through the fuse. I needed to tweak the clip angles to avoid binding. Once that got work out it ran smooth and no movement of the motor.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here