News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front mount/ Rear Mount?  (Read 692 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Front mount/ Rear Mount?
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
My planes are all 58-60" wingspan size.  I'm using either the Hacker or AXI motors of the proper size.  Both are shipped for "rear mount".  In order to configure for "front mount" it is necessary to dismantle the motor and turn the shaft around.  I do not want to do any mechanical "magic" on motors. 

Some have cautioned that rear mount places undue stress on the motor.  My firewall mounts are very solid, and my "rear mount" motors have shown no wear or other problems.

So if rear mounting causes no problems, why should I think about changing?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Front mount/ Rear Mount?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:49:26 PM »
My planes are all 58-60" wingspan size.  I'm using either the Hacker or AXI motors of the proper size.  Both are shipped for "rear mount".  In order to configure for "front mount" it is necessary to dismantle the motor and turn the shaft around.  I do not want to do any mechanical "magic" on motors. 

Some have cautioned that rear mount places undue stress on the motor.  My firewall mounts are very solid, and my "rear mount" motors have shown no wear or other problems.

So if rear mounting causes no problems, why should I think about changing?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Front mount/ Rear Mount?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »
I should have done a search first.  Now that I've read several opinions regarding front/rear mounting, I see that the opinions are about equally divided.  Some say that rear mounting stresses the ball bearings.  Maybe so, but ball bearings will take a lot of side loading, which is the mode associated with flying sharp corners.

So maybe my motors will only last for 200 flights instead of 300.  It would take me many years to get that many flights on electric, since I also spend a  lot of hours flying with  glo engines, and spark ignition.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here