« on: August 26, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:47:43 AM by Motorman »

Offline Kim Doherty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Flight Time (Full Pattern)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
I've been flying the beginner pattern and want to move up to intermediate. How much time do I get to do the pattern? If I'm turning 5.100 sec a lap on 65' lines how much time do I set on my timer to do the full AMA pattern? How many extra laps do I want in the tank and how much time do you allow for the landing? I think my battery can go a little over 6 minutes because I've been taking two 2:50 flights on it.

Thanks,
MM 

The simple answer is that it will take you about 5:30 to fly the whole pattern including walking to the center. You should try to make a flight of 5 minutes and then see how much you put back in to the battery. Divide it out to 5:30 (or more) and see if you are still within 80% of the total capacity. If you are then set the time and make a flight. Since you are now pushing the limits of the battery capacity you should begin to establish a set procedure that you follow every time you make a flight.

5.1 seconds per lap is a good speed to fly and you will be rewarded as try to deal with the elements and fly a precise pattern. As to "extra laps" this is where an electric model has an advantage over an IC model. You can use as many extra laps as you have capacity in your battery while not going over the 8 minute time limit. You can use extra laps to wait out gusts, thermals etc. and not be pressured into doing the manoeuvre in bad air. A good time to "shut off"  would be about 30 seconds before time expires.

Kim.

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
I've been flying the beginner pattern and want to move up to intermediate. How much time do I get to do the pattern? If I'm turning 5.100 sec a lap on 65' lines how much time do I set on my timer to do the full AMA pattern? How many extra laps do I want in the tank and how much time do you allow for the landing? I think my battery can go a little over 6 minutes because I've been taking two 2:50 flights on it.

Thanks,
MM 
I set my timer for 5:45, just make sure you aren't putting a lot of extra laps in between the maneuvers.

James
AMA 491167

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
I get 8 min holy cow, I guess I don't have to worry about breaking out. When do they start the clock for electric when the plane takes off or when you hit the button and get the check spin?

Thanks,
MM

You signal the judges and then push the start button (just like with a IC set up, you wave at the judges then start the motor).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
Ok batt is 2500 mah and the charger put back 2044 after two 2:45 flights.

Ok,

Your amp draw is just over 80% (2500 * .8 = 2000)

I think you could go to 5:40 and make a flight without much problem. You are using 6.2 mA per second so 10 more seconds will not do any great harm.

Kim.

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »
Finally took my first 5:30 flight and the charger put back 2149 which looks like 6.5ma per sec. Am I pushing my luck with this battery?

I wasn't really flying the pattern because I forgot my cheat sheet, maybe I was doing too many maneuvers?

MM

Your drawing a bit more than you should. The correct amount would be closer to 2000 mA. You did not say what your lap time was or what prop, rpm, esc, motor and battery you are using. Try a wooden prop (lighter). As to whether or not this is too much only your pocket book knows for sure. I think you are ok to make a few flights to get the set up right. Maybe set the timer for 5:20, that should still be lots of time.

Kiim

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
As Kim pointed out 2000mah is 80% of 2500. And for battery longevity it is a golden rule NOT to use more than 80% of the battery capacity. And some folks may even say not to use more than 75%. So once you get squared away, you may find that you need a 2650mah or bigger size battery. FWIW I have my timer set for 5:40 and that gives me a few extra laps.  :)  
AMA 33676

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here