News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FMA CL timer/sequencer from Randy Smith @ Aero  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Will Moore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
FMA CL timer/sequencer from Randy Smith @ Aero
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
I've just had a close look at the new timer from Japan that Randy Smith is selling - looks very promising.

It is called the "FMA CL timer"   It has a "Setting Board" which is a black box similar to what you would
get with a Jeti Spin ESC.

The timer itself weighs about 2 grams - which is insignificant.  It is about 4 times as big as the JMP.
It has three push buttons on it, one brown, one blue and one yellow.  They each have different functions
depending on what area of the program you are in. It has all of the parameters of the JMP, you can set
how long and how much the idle speed is before takeoff, then you can control how fast the motor will "step " into takeoff - which is the 1st flight speed - and then how long that speed will be, before you move into the 2nd speed, which in the instruction manual is called the  "final power" speed, which is a gradual increase speed to allow for voltage drop, like the JMP.  You do not have to use this feature if you are using gov. mode.

At the end of that time, you can adjust how much power motor will operate at during landing approach - from zero to whatever - just before that, there is a warning power surge to let you know the the end of the flight has approached. And then everything shuts down at your predetermined programmed time.

There are several nice things about this timer

1)  it is a nice replacement for the JMP - which sounds like will not be made much longer since Jean-Marie Piedmont  is moving to the USA and is not allowed to manufacture while here, for a while, from my understanding.

2) It is better than the JMP - because it looks like you will be able to use the program box while the timer is in the airplane, if you hook up a little wire harness to it and make it externally accessible through the side of the fuselage.  then, all you have to do , if you want to tweek the system, just plug in the box, push a few buttons on the timer, and those buttons should also be visible on the side of the fuselage, and your in business.

3) Throttle adjustments are in .5% - thats point 5 percent folks - increments, which means you have 200 increments of adjustment here. - That means that if your prop is turning at 10,000rpm for example, a .5% adjustment would be 50 rpm - that really would be fine tuning. I do not think you could do that with a needle valve on a glow engine..

4)  Time adjustments are in 10 second increments - which is very nice.  and the window walks you through the whole process .  A nine volt battery in the box powers the whole thing so it is self contained.

You can play around with it in the house and once you get used to it, it will become second nature.
The only thing lacking is landing re-tract , which the JMP has.

So, this looks like the best timer/sequencer out there that is available without custom private work.
I have not seen anything else - only promises.
The timer is reasonably priced.  The black box is pricey, but it is a one time cost and I feel well worth it.

Contact Randy for current price - and I'd run if I were you - esp. if you are serious about electric.

Soon as the snow clears, I'll try this out in my Cavalier

Will Moore

Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
Re: FMA CL timer/sequencer from Randy Smith @ Aero
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
I forgot to mention that the timer/sequencer has two male servo connections coming out of it.

The top one is for the setting board's servo type connection - connecting it allows you to program the timer.

The bottom one is hooked up to the ESC for flight.  If you  hook the setting board's connection into the lower male connector on the timer, and turn the black box on, it becomes a pulse width checker and reads out in ms the signal coming from the timer.

You can actually activate the timer and go through your whole programmed flight in real time and see what the
pulse widths are for the entire flight -  real nice feature.

I do not know as yet whether you can program the timer while everything, except battery , is hooked up
in the airplane.   Or whether youu have to disconnect the ESC first.  I will try to assemble everything on my test bench and see what happens.

This , I think is the next step in sequencer/timers.

If anyone has questions, feel free to field them here.

Will Moore

AMA # 209

Offline Vincent Corwell

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
Hi Will

will that setting board work with the Zigras timer?

thanks

Vincent

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
Vincent;

No, it is specific to this particular brand

WMoore

AMA # 209

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:22:25 AM »
Will

Thanks for the good report on the FMA CL timer. I was impressed with the .5% increment adjustment. Do you know how that compares to the Jeti-spin box setting
of fixed RPM,(max & min the same)? For example if set for 10,000 RPM what varience
would you expect ?

Regards, Walt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »
One thing to remember is that if you use governor mode (on a Castle Creations ESC at least), a 1/2% throttle change on the timer output doesn't necessarily translate into a 1/2% change in rpm on the ESC. I am not sure what exactly the function CC uses in the ESC, and it does depend a lot on your motor KV too. On my Super Clown which uses the stock 1500kV motor, the JMP2 timers 1.7% click can translate into an 800-100 rpm jump (almost unusable to tune in the flight speed. On my E-Nobler with an 1100kV motor, the click is much smaller (roughly in the 200 rpm range or so), so it is a lot easier to fine tune things.

One thing I learned from Igor about the Jeti Spin is that you have control over the internal throttle curve the governor uses in the ESC. That makes the throttle setting from the Timer a lot less important (actually almost irrelevant!). Just wish the Jeti Spins were a little cheaper. Oh well!

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
javascript:void(0);

Thanks Alan for helping Walt out as I do not know how the timer compares to the Jeti Spin parameters.

I tend to pick outrunners that have a RPM/ V rating of 700 to 900 and not much higher.  That way I can use
either a 4 cell or 5cell Li-Po battery and keep amperage draw less than 30amp - which is just a personal
threshhold I've set for myself to control heat buildup .  It sounds like programing the Jeti Spin partameters helps to fine tune the whole process, and I am glad someone pointed that out to us.

I'll be doing a lot of experimenting this Spring so I can figure out how to do alln of this.  I have not yet used Gov.mode, but I'll try that with this new timer as well. 
I'm just having too much fun with all these toys !javascript:void(0);

Will Moore

AMA # 209

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
I have more of the FMA timers and control boxes in stock, and would like to hear how these perform for people. please send any feedback to me at

Randyaero@msn.com

Thanks

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here