News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flashing RED on Castle 50  (Read 1282 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flashing RED on Castle 50
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
I have a new Castle Edge 50 Lite that appears to be DOA...or I am having a brain fart.  Wired correctly it sings to me when the arming plug is inserted then counts the cells (4) then immediately starts flashing RED and won't arm.  A frantic search of the RC groups says that either the throttle is not calibrated or it is in thermal shutdown.  It is not hot and the timer came from a working system (a working Castle 50) and it works perfectly when put back in the old system.  Same with the Motor.  Programming was copied from the working ESC.   I have attached a photo of the setup (sans battery & motor) just in case it is a brain fart.

Thanks - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Flashing RED on Castle 50
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »
Have you hooked it up to your PC using the castle link?  Perhaps this will help in your diagnosis.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
Have you hooked it up to your PC using the castle link?  Perhaps this will help in your diagnosis.
I have.  Castle Link does not have any diagnostics.  It programs just fine.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
Is the plug to the timer is in backwards or something. The ice lite and edge lite take different settings in the Hubin. Also, I think there's different settings between the two esc in castle link. There's a thread I posted in this section somewhere that has all the settings.

Motorman 8)
Same settings and same wiring as another ship with an Edge 50.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
If it is a new speed controller it's idle set point may be wrong.  If you have a servo tester you can check and see what range the speed controller responds at.   My servo tester can measure the pulse width output of the timer as well as drive the speed controller.   I couldn't find the one I have on ebay but this one will drive the speed controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HJ-Digital-Servo-Tester-ESC-Consistency-Tester-RC-Helicopter-Tester-Tool-W6V5/222982426987?epid=22023558559&hash=item33eac9d16b:g:8tUAAOSwEnZa7RPZ:rk:14:pf:0

You set it's output to 1 ms.  turn on the  speed controller and it should arm.  Turn the knob on the tester till the motor starts to run.  This is the low end set point of the speed controller.  You can then read on the digital readout for value.  You can then check the working speed controller and find out what is the low end start point.  Any way  being able to measure the pulse width it takes to operate a speed controller is the key to sorting out what is wrong.  Per you speed controller instructions the low end set point can be adjusted.  All electric flyers should have a servo tester and learn how to use it.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »
If you look in the manual for the ESC it tells you what codes are blinking.
and flashing Red is not one of them.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
If it is a new speed controller it's idle set point may be wrong.  If you have a servo tester you can check and see what range the speed controller responds at.   My servo tester can measure the pulse width output of the timer as well as drive the speed controller.   I couldn't find the one I have on ebay but this one will drive the speed controller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HJ-Digital-Servo-Tester-ESC-Consistency-Tester-RC-Helicopter-Tester-Tool-W6V5/222982426987?epid=22023558559&hash=item33eac9d16b:g:8tUAAOSwEnZa7RPZ:rk:14:pf:0

You set it's output to 1 ms.  turn on the  speed controller and it should arm.  Turn the knob on the tester till the motor starts to run.  This is the low end set point of the speed controller.  You can then read on the digital readout for value.  You can then check the working speed controller and find out what is the low end start point.  Any way  being able to measure the pulse width it takes to operate a speed controller is the key to sorting out what is wrong.  Per you speed controller instructions the low end set point can be adjusted.  All electric flyers should have a servo tester and learn how to use it.
I use Huben timers to control speed.  It is a new Timer and it has been programmed correctly.  It works when put on another system.  Also, another working timer was tested on the problem ESC and the ESC still did not arm.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
and flashing Red is not one of them.

Ken
FYI - I just got off the phone with Castle and they went through all of the diagnostic steps they have and came to the conclusion that something in the ESC is amiss.  The Official word from Castle Tech Support is that the Red Flashing is an indicator that the throttle setting is not low enough to allow arming.  That would most likely be the timer and since the timer(s) are all working on another Edge 50 they concluded that the ESC is bad.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
I use Huben timers to control speed.  It is a new Timer and it has been programmed correctly.  It works when put on another system.  Also, another working timer was tested on the problem ESC and the ESC still did not arm.

Ken
All the more reason to have a servo tester with a digital readout.  It allows you to operate the ESC independent of the timer.  It gives you hard numbers on where the ESC is responding.  A true test of the ESC.    y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here