News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:51:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First NATs Top 5 Day Win for Electric  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Dean Pappas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
First NATs Top 5 Day Win for Electric
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »
It's hardly news, Gang ... but 1st and 3rd were electrics on Saturday ...
Way to go, Paul and Bob.
Gotta love it!

Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First NATs Top 5 Day Win for Electric
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
The top three Intermediate fliers also used electric power...

Bob Hunt

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
It certainly was a "Juicy" Nats.Even Matt Neuman was observed purchasing E-goodies for a Stuka and I thought he was a pipe'r for life.It won't be long before we are saying that a piped ship sneeks into the top 5,film at eleven!!!!
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:42 PM »
I heard a rumor that Jeff Traxler got 2nd place in Intermediate with and electrical airplane. Could this be true ?  :##
AMA 33676

Online Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »
Way to go Jeff !! There musta been some magic in that old SV he flew.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
The top three Intermediate fliers also used electric power...

Bob Hunt

I've noticed an avalanche is rolling on people going to electric over the last 2 years.  And just think, "electric is at its worst"!   #^
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »
I've noticed an avalanche is rolling on people going to electric over the last 2 years.  And just think, "electric is at its worst"!   #^

Electric is simply the newest thing...Yes it works well.  That doesn't spell DOOM for IC engines.
What I see now is that electric seems to work as well as IC in the hands of top fliers.
It has some advantages and disadvantages.
Everyone forcast the same doom for two strokes when four strokes first started being used.
How many four strokes won anything at the Nats...how many were even used.
Right now it simply looks like the top fliers will win no matter what they use.

I still haven't seen an electric that works any better in bad conditions than a good IC set up.

They are quieter and cleaner, unless of course they catch on fire, or the motor bell housing begins to grind itself to powder...seen that happen several times, even with front mounting.

Given the number of parts involved in an electric set up compared to the number of parts in an IC set up I think a reliability analysis would lean slightly to the IC engine.

The best fliers will win...whatever they decide to fly!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:30:44 AM »
Electric is simply the newest thing...Yes it works well.  That doesn't spell DOOM for IC engines.
What I see now is that electric seems to work as well as IC in the hands of top fliers.
It has some advantages and disadvantages.
Everyone forcast the same doom for two strokes when four strokes first started being used.
How many four strokes won anything at the Nats...how many were even used.
Right now it simply looks like the top fliers will win no matter what they use.

I still haven't seen an electric that works any better in bad conditions than a good IC set up.

They are quieter and cleaner, unless of course they catch on fire, or the motor bell housing begins to grind itself to powder...seen that happen several times, even with front mounting.

Given the number of parts involved in an electric set up compared to the number of parts in an IC set up I think a reliability analysis would lean slightly to the IC engine.

The best fliers will win...whatever they decide to fly!

Randy Cuberly

I never said anything about doom for IC engines or any comparisons.  Just that a lot of people are going to electric. 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »
For me, switching to electrics has nothing to do with competitive advantage. It's about time.

My wife works retail hours, I have an incredibly active two-year old daughter, and I have a long commute to and from the office. "Free time" is a virtually non-existent commodity in my life.

Driving somewhere to practice with a IC plane is a forty-five minute drive each way, and the first flight or two are invariably spent fiddling with the needle setting. So, close to two hours before anything resembling a productive practice flight.

Or ... five minute drive to a local field, early in the morning, before the rest of the world's awake, and knock out a couple of practice flights in under the aforementioned two hours.

Just getting the extra practice time, I think, is going to advance my flying ability more than anything else.

And that's what I hope leads to more, competitive and good flyers in Stunt. Just the ability for more flyers to practice more often. I don't know if the success of electrics will necessarily fill the topmost ranks of the event, but I think this may be why you see it more and more in Intermediate and Advanced.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
Electric is the clean power for stunt.   Might not work well in other venues but definitely the right power for stunt where consistent speed is required.  I saw it coming in RC 25 years ago and flew a lot of early electric stuff then. It just took longer in control line.   The LiPo battery advancements with reduced weight accelerated the process. For me biggest advantage is flying field accessibility.  I still like IC but can see that I will use it less and less as.

Joe
Joe Daly

Online Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 02:09:16 PM »
I will have to disagree with IC being more reliable than electric Randy. Since going electric 2 yrs. ago I have had consistent runs time after time after time. I can't say the same about my IC setups. Pinhole in a plastic tank, ruptured brass feed tube in a metal tank, leaky gasket on a LA46 etc. So far the only issues with electric(on my end) have been bearings getting loose fitting, and reusing a lipo battery for a flight.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
One should never jump blindly on the latest bandwagon unless they have a desire to tinker. The database of knowledge on how to properly run piped engines is still vastly larger than electric. My hat's off to the trailblazers that are moving electric forward and building that database of knowledge. That said, the pace of changes in the field of electrics is still counted in months, not years. For some of us, this is too much of a change and we are waiting for the pace of change to slow down.

I would like to share what I saw at the NATS:

Weather at this year's NATS Qualifying was very hot,humid with barely any wind. Models were struggling, especially electrics. Not all electrics, of course. Top 20 guys had their equipment working perfectly and the model were getting through just fine. This tells me one thing: Top 20 guys know how to prepare, REGARDLESS of the power system. The corollary of this is: pilots that did not know how to build light or how to accommodate for weather conditions struggled as much with electrics as they did with IC.

During the three days of judging(I missed top 5 day), there were two obvious situation where IC fliers underperformed due to motor issues. One was an overrun and another was too slow of a setting. On Electric front, there was just one. What was even more disappointing is that the flier was having the flight of his life! He has never made Top 20(I believe this was his second year entering in Open) but his flight was in the Top 5 territory! It looked like he was going to pull it off and all over sudden BAM! The motor shut down from the heat.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
I don't know yet what I like better. I know I don't like having to charge all the batteries and then when I get home have to put them in a storage charge. It is a lot more work than cleaning the plane off and putting it up. 1st place was won on Ap points not by how it flew. The best flying plane was IC. We will just have to see where this all goes. I have not been impressed with profile changed over, just hard to get them to balance. the other thing is the battery on a angle has to effect how the plane flies. I think what we need is more planes made just for Elec

Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
I remember well when Pipes swept the top pilots.  There was a clear advantage using a pipe versus a muffled engine at the top level starting off.  After a while, when usage was "stabilized", the usage was seen all through the skill levels.  Now running a pipe is a pretty much "plug and play" event.

I can see where electrics can have real advantages, already.  But how long, with the technology changing almost daily, will it become truly "plug and play" for the Intermediate or Advanced local pilots?

I do know that some cannot overcome the initial outlay of money.  There are points brought up that "fuel costs" will offset the initial outlay, but having a system like Paul, Bob, etc., is just out of financial reach for some.  Especially some of those who have sufficient numbers of engines and equipment already.

I believe the overall cost of start up will fall and then there will be even more "converts".

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
Being as I have decided to fly for fun when I can and also do a contest or so while I can, electric is not in the cards.   I have planes that are reliable for me when I don't do something stupid.   My favorite plane needs a recover after the dogs did there dance on the wing one day, but I say why.  I just put some SLC over the big holes and it still flies better than I do.   Need to get the stuff flying that I have ready.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
1st place was won on Ap points not by how it flew.

Ha!  I didn't think this was right until I read Ted's writeup.

the other thing is the battery on a angle has to effect how the plane flies.

This isn't right, though.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 11:57:55 PM »
Ha!  I didn't think this was right until I read Ted's writeup.
 Hi Howard, where can we read Ted's writeup.......is it on a forum somewhere??

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 02:01:51 AM »
I've mentioned this before and so have others. Let me state categorically (head on the block!) that a simple cheap electric system with one of my governor timers, or similar will perform as well, or better than any IC setup. The "or better" part comes from the fact that in weather changes you can still fly the same setup, or simply add or subtract rpm if you need it. Just flying it as it was will also work because it will just stay as set. This basic setup will cost a lot less than a decent tuned pipe setup, and it is already plug n' play if you check out the RSM or Brodak websites, and some others around the world. These days with stores like Hobby Kings, even starting up with electric is no train smash. Chargers and batteries are now really affordable, and the cost of flying is below using fuel, so really guys, this is a far better way to get into flying good stunt, especially for beginners. A system like I've just mentioned is way better than any of the low cost engines like the LA, or FP types. Sure the guys that enjoy their engines, can continue to do this, (I'm one of them) but it's time to realise that electric stunt is here with a vengeance and it's really hard to beat.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:47:20 AM »
I've mentioned this before and so have others. Let me state categorically (head on the block!) that a simple cheap electric system with one of my governor timers, or similar will perform as well, or better than any IC setup. The "or better" part comes from the fact that in weather changes you can still fly the same setup, or simply add or subtract rpm if you need it. Just flying it as it was will also work because it will just stay as set. This basic setup will cost a lot less than a decent tuned pipe setup, and it is already plug n' play if you check out the RSM or Brodak websites, and some others around the world. These days with stores like Hobby Kings, even starting up with electric is no train smash. Chargers and batteries are now really affordable, and the cost of flying is below using fuel, so really guys, this is a far better way to get into flying good stunt, especially for beginners. A system like I've just mentioned is way better than any of the low cost engines like the LA, or FP types. Sure the guys that enjoy their engines, can continue to do this, (I'm one of them) but it's time to realise that electric stunt is here with a vengeance and it's really hard to beat.

Keith R

And Keith's system shuts off when the airplane crashes or noses over, saving the motor, airplane, and electronics.  Many of the expensive systems don't. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
The pace of change has slowed down.  Inertia accelerators will be the next thing to be worked out, that may have any impact.
It won't be for everyone just like pipes are not for everyone.Everything else is already in play and good enough.
 Battery tech will not rapidly change much.  And it doesn't need to. Motors will be motors. some a little expensive, some inexpensive.
And there are excellent inexpensive controllers/ sequencers ( like Keith's excellent products) ,
Expense is not a real issue any more.  The weight difference is not even an issue. 
The real differences have already been stated, and they have been known for years. And they are all good.
 1. Quiet flights, so fields will not be lost, and most any field large enough will do, without notice.
 2. Consistent , repeatable flight performance to enhance the pilot's learning curve.  Better flights, quicker.
 3.  Clean, Smooth, airframe friendly flights with instant torque response. So smooth, the quietness is often mistaken for mediocre power
      which is  not true ( Kieth's and other controllers allow for adjustable governor acceleration which also somewhat controls "windup" )
      We are using 1 plus horsepower equivalent potentials and batteries that can deliver  75 plus amps.

We have said all this before - for years - people are just waking up to it now.  Because of environmental concerns alone,
It will inevitably overtake all other systems. 

Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Keith,
  Look on page 10 of the nats coverage.I think that is what Howard is refering to.I have been using your timer for over a yaer now and it performs better than advertised and from the looks of it so do I ;D ;D ;D Thanx Keith!!

I must say to all who think E=power is just a phase has not grasped reality.My second in Int., is a small indication that E-Power is the real deal.I won't be flying intermediate any longer.That is after only 2 years after winning beginner without a coach to speak of.Flying E of course y1 y1 y1 I have been told by a former world champ that these are just steps in the path to the ultimate prize.Time to burn up some batteries!!

If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Bob & Dan,
      Thanx guys!!!!!!The rumor is true.Lets go flying sometime soon.You guys going to Detroit next month?

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I found Ted's comment and also enjoyed Doug Moon's comments as well. It must have been really great to have witnessed this Nats in person. So little difference in the top 5 is hard to judge, as Ted commented....he wished that one of them would just give him something to mark them down a bit!! Thanks too for the nice comments from Jeff and Will about my timers. It's been a great project for me as well and I have learned so much at the same time.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
(snip) This basic setup will cost a lot less than a decent tuned pipe setup, and it is already plug n' play if you check out the RSM or Brodak websites, and some others around the world. These days with stores like Hobby Kings, even starting up with electric is no train smash. Chargers and batteries are now really affordable, and the cost of flying is below using fuel, so really guys, this is a far better way to get into flying good stunt, especially for beginners. (snip)

Keith R

Hi Keith,

As you know, I have one of your timers.  I am looking forward to using it.  My comment above about cost is relative.  Let's compare some of my, and Aaron's (my oldest son), pipe systems and a comparable electric system.

1. PA .40 w/header, connector, pipe and three props: $125 (still running perfect over 10 years later)

2. PA .61 w/header, connector, pipe and prop: $170 (still running perfect)

3. PA .61 w/header, connector, pipe and prop: $215 (still running perfect)

4. Fuel for all is the "added cost".

Aaron got a NIB PA .61 for Christmas one year so that single engine was $329.00  The next highest priced PA was $250 for a unrun refurbished .40.  The 7 or 8 PA engines we have will easily last me the rest of my life and quite possibly Aaron.

These are actual totals from engines we have bought and used well in contests.

Aaron got a completely NIB Brodak Super Clown electric "turn key" combo for $125 plus shipping ($15 ??)  You will not find this every day, in fact I doubt we will ever find it again............. and is not comparable to the three set ups I have quoted above.

I also do not know the cost of an electric system that is comparable to a PA .61 w/ pipe.  The same quality and performance.

I would like to see all the costs of such a system to be able to compare.

I AM NOT BASHING ELECTRIC!  I see all the benefits of electric.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »
Hi Keith,

As you know, I have one of your timers.  I am looking forward to using it.  My comment above about cost is relative.  Let's compare some of my, and Aaron's (my oldest son), pipe systems and a comparable electric system.

1. PA .40 w/header, connector, pipe and three props: $125 (still running perfect over 10 years later)

2. PA .61 w/header, connector, pipe and prop: $170 (still running perfect)

3. PA .61 w/header, connector, pipe and prop: $215 (still running perfect)

4. Fuel for all is the "added cost".

Aaron got a NIB PA .61 for Christmas one year so that single engine was $329.00  The next highest priced PA was $250 for a unrun refurbished .40.  The 7 or 8 PA engines we have will easily last me the rest of my life and quite possibly Aaron.

These are actual totals from engines we have bought and used well in contests.

Aaron got a completely NIB Brodak Super Clown electric "turn key" combo for $125 plus shipping ($15 ??)  You will not find this every day, in fact I doubt we will ever find it again............. and is not comparable to the three set ups I have quoted above.

I also do not know the cost of an electric system that is comparable to a PA .61 w/ pipe.  The same quality and performance.

I would like to see all the costs of such a system to be able to compare.

I AM NOT BASHING ELECTRIC!  I see all the benefits of electric.

Bill

To buy a setup that is comparable to my PA 65 I would expect to pay well over $500 and that is not including the 10 batteries that I would need. This is one of the main reasons I don't have competition electric plane. AND the batteries are only good for one season, you never know when one might go bad (possibly during an official) so you have to have extras. I also talked to a top 5 competitor that said 1 out of 5 batteries he orders is bad and has to be sent back for a replacement.

Paul won the Nats with electric but he had twice as many failures as I did. He had two I had none. One almost cost him an official flight. Paul is a very smart guy and had the problems fixed quickly but to say electric is more reliable than IC is false. They both have problems...

Derek

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
This thread went from "Congrats" to electric still sucks HB~> HB~> HB~> WTF

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
Hey Jeff,

I don't think it sucks it just bothers me when people distort the facts. There is no need to trash IC to promote electric as some people (not you my friend) do. Electric won the Nats, I would say that it doesn't get any better than that! And indeed, congrats to all the winners, most of them with electric powered planes.

Bob looked really good this year as did Kenny Stevens and Jason Greer. 

Derek

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
Hi Bill & Derek,

Sure you do get failures with both systems ......no argument at all. Electric has "different" problems, but of course Murphy's Law still applies. The difference in reliability shows up more in bad weather where you it is a lot easier to set up and know that you will have a good motor run without fuel mixture problems. Lean or rich will cause a lousy flight. Set and electric system a bit fast or slow and it will stay as set and fly pretty well either way. On the price story, a system like Igor's with active regulation is the best you can get and will cost quite a lot. A constant rpm setup like Bob Hunt was flying did pretty well (or what??) and is very predictable in wind and mucky weather, and costs a lot less. Let's now take a system to replace your PA 61 and pipe:

E-Flite Power 32 $75.00
50 amp ZTW esc $50.00
KR Governor timer system with programming card (you only need one programming card for any amount of timers) $49.50
Total = $174.50

The "fuel" for this system will be a 5-cell lipo, and the prop could be an APC 12 or 13" E-prop. Batteries, like fuel are not part of this equation for the power package. Some get 150 to 200 flights on a pack, and other like Igor get over 400 flights. That setup will fly your existing stunter as well or better than the PA 65. If you really want a top class motor like the MVVS 8,0/680 with Swiss quality military spec bearings and workmanship 2nd to none, I see that you can buy them in the USA for around $145.00. Lets just say it all costs $250.00, this is half the price of your suggested $500.00

Bill, the prices you paid for the PA engines are from a while back, and as far as I know, you cannot buy PA engines any more. Be that as it may, let us take the popular .40 sport setup with the standard LA .40 or .46. A basic electric motor like the E-Max/Arrowind 2820 will outfly any LA or FP 40 setup for very much the same price. I have done a lot of work with this size of setup and there are loads of customers out there who will attest to this fact. So sure, you had great value from your PA engines over the years. They were the standard for top class engines. Henry Nelson engines with superb mods by Randy Smith really lead the way and set a standard that was hard to beat for that time. Electric brushless outrunner motors are straightforward things with no spinning armature and only bearings to pack up. Sure some magnets do come loose but on the better quality motors, this is not a problem.

In the last world champs, Loren Nell from New Zealand and I both used cheap E-Max 2826 motors with APC 12 x 6 pusher props and 4-cell Nanotech lipo's. We had plenty of power and control in the bad conditions. None of us were blown out in the violent wind in qualifying. He was flying a  Thundergazer, and if you take a kit from RSM plus a basic power package like I've just mentioned, you are not talking about big bucks, but you will have a high performance system that is basically Plug n' Play. Sure....... Loren and I only placed somewhere in the 30's but that had little to do with our power packages! I felt really pleased about placing in the middle of the bunch with such a low cost system. I paid around $45.00 for my E-Max and used it to show what could be done with a low cost motor and simple electric system. I had an MVVS motor as well, so it wasn't that I did not have a high quality motor. A real bonus for me was that I did not have to put up with lousy fuel from the contest organizers! That is my 10 cents worth!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »

Hi Jeff,

I have said my congrats to all several times and clearly stated that I was not bashing electric.  Neither is Derek.

Peace!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
Just tryin' to keep some of the rain off the parade.I saw most of the flights on Saturday standing a couple steps behind the judges.I witnessed the best PA of my lifetime and the method of thrust did'nt seem to matter at the time.Everyone brought the A game.The show was darn near as good Friday.Did'nt want to ruffle feathers,just keep the celabration going.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »

UH not really  the thread went from Congrats,  to  IC is dead....  and is inferior  .... maybe want to look and see.. this goes on all the time. Neither is true.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here