News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Flight of the E-Nobler Arf  (Read 7183 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
First Flight of the E-Nobler Arf
« on: October 15, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
Here are some pics and plots from the first ~2 minute flight I put in today on my Electrified Nobler Arf. Some specs are:
1) Motor---Scorpion 3020-12 (kV=1088 rpm/volt) with APC 11-5.5 Thin Electric prop
2) ESC---CC Phoenix 35, running in Governor mode (9800rpm)
3) Zigras timer
4) Batteries--2 FMA 2100 maHr batteries connected in parallel--the fuse is so narrow, I am not sure I could
fit in a single battery of the correct capacity. I am guessing this will be ~3000mAhr range eventually.
5) Recording equipment--EagleTree Data recorder with rpm, airspeed, altimeter, and usual amps/volts

Total up weight, including all my recording stuff was 48 oz. A little portly.

Only made 1 flight because it came down sooner than I thought. Figured out after a little head scratching (see photo) when I finally recalled that the 4th dip switch was 2^3, not 2^4, and that the 3rd (2^2=4) and 4th switch (2^3=8) gave 10* (8+4)s=120s =2 minutes!
Observation was that it was really pulling and lap speed was a little high, so I think I can backoff one click on the throttle (to ~9500 rpm).
Didn't really do much this flight other than some high and lows. But here are the pics. Fred K. was the stooge/photographer.
The chart shows (top trace to bottom) rpm (left axis), airspeed (mph- right axis), current draw from battery (A-right axis), and cumulative current draw (mAhr--left axis).

I will try to have more interesting data next time.

Alan Hahn

Re: First Flight of the E-Nobler Arf
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 03:03:14 PM »
a few more pics. The last one just to show it made it up into the air1

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:04:53 PM »
oops, need one of the pitot tube!

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »
Nice job, Alan.

First of all, 48 ounces is not bad - but please tell us the voltage of your battery packs. Two 2100 mah in parallel should give you 4200 mah total. I run two 4 cell packs in parallel with my planes and they all weigh over 50 ounces.

Don't feel bad about the Zigras. I used mine for a couple of flights and had it turned upside down for one flight. Set all the switches to the exact opposite of what they should have been. Almost choked a battery pack.  HB~>

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 07:25:42 PM »
It's a 3s battery pack. I should mention that the second pack slides back over the wing. This was done to keep the balance somewhere close to design without having to add any weight to the rear.
I should also mention that my old Nobler Arf with a Brodak 40 and tongue muffler still tilts the scale at just a hair less than 40 oz (dry).

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »
Alan:
Kudos, looks like you are off to a good start.  #^  H^^

As I learned with our recent Oriental mod: converting an "slimer" ARF to E-power is probably harder than building the durned thing that way from scratch - so I got an idea where you are coming from with this conversion!

THANK YOU also for posting the Eagle Tree data.  Sounds like you should have plenty of battery to go the distance, hope you get a few more flights before the snow flies!

...and looking forward to more of your progress!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:15:17 AM »
Hi Alan,

I see you have motor with too little rpm/V
1) Motor---Scorpion 3020-12 (kV=1088 rpm/volt) with APC 11-5.5 Thin Electric prop

You can see rpm drop on place with higher current (prop load) even on begin of flight with fully charged battery. I would try motor with 10 windings or so, or 4 cell battery it will give capacity for longer flight also.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:18:48 AM »
Igor,
You are probably right. When I bought this motor, I knew that I was close to the limit of rpm and battery voltage. Scorpion gives a table where they show static rpm for various props for each of their motors. The props included the APC11-5.5 and they show that for a 10.5V input, it will turn up to 9275 rpm. Now for this flight I had the rpm set for ~9800 rpm, so yes I was asking for a lot when the prop gets loaded down. Since I am dropping the rpm one notch, I am hoping that I will just be under the max load my 3s batteries can drive. This was the lowest kV of this motor that was offered (at least at the time, but I haven't checked lately)

If it is still an issue (= noticeable in flight), then I do have the kit version of this motor which I can wind myself. So I can be the BOM (Builder of the Motor)!

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
As I learned with our recent Oriental mod: converting an "slimer" ARF to E-power is probably harder than building the durned thing that way from scratch - so I got an idea where you are coming from with this conversion!

Dennis,

My first electric was an Oriental conversion two years ago and I learned that lesson as well as many others along the way. But the main thing I learned was that electric power CAN work and it has worked quite well for me since then.

The main problem I see with most Classic style conversions is the wing is too small to carry the load. My 550 inch Oriental was marginal (and somewhat mushy) with a 4 cell system and I quickly moved on to bigger planes. My 580 inch Shocker Cardinal carries 50 ounces much better.

Alan is only running 3 cell batteries, so his load may be more acceptable -- as long as he has enough power to complete the flight.  n~

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
Alan, if you do not want to change motor and battery, you can still try another prop, for example Apc 11x7 ... it will need also little less power

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
Igor,
Here is the table for this motor and 3s and 4s lipo setups with a variety of props measured statically. I use it to set the upper limit on the propeller load I am shooting for. I try to use experience to figure out the relevant rpms.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »
Great table, so I see with 11x7 it gives 8800rpm and I expect that prop will need 8500, may be less. I think it will be usefull. Not optimal, that pitch for such a small diameter is not the best choice, but I think still better then to loose RPM overhead.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »
Dennis,

My first electric was an Oriental conversion two years ago and I learned that lesson as well as many others along the way. But the main thing I learned was that electric power CAN work and it has worked quite well for me since then.

The main problem I see with most Classic style conversions is the wing is too small to carry the load. My 550 inch Oriental was marginal (and somewhat mushy) with a 4 cell system and I quickly moved on to bigger planes. My 580 inch Shocker Cardinal carries 50 ounces much better.

Alan is only running 3 cell batteries, so his load may be more acceptable -- as long as he has enough power to complete the flight.  n~

Ron

Ron
We have been blown away by the E-Oriental.  The conversion originally weighed in at 47 oz - same as dry weight on my LA40 powered version.  A couple "upgrades later it was up to 49 oz. but the power is superior to the LA 40 bird.  Next iteration will be LIGHTENED back to 47 or less.

I think the key to a classic sized conversion is a quite feasible with 3 cells, 4 cells requires meticulous attention to battery load so as to use small batteries.

But I am with you, E-power is not just possible, I am beginining to believe it is the prohibitive favorite for CLPA.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 11:00:47 AM »
I think the key to a classic sized conversion is a quite feasible with 3 cells, 4 cells requires meticulous attention to battery load so as to use small batteries.

But I am with you, E-power is not just possible, I am beginining to believe it is the prohibitive favorite for CLPA.

Dennis,

The concern I have with three cells is we have to produce a certain amount of watts to do the pattern and with the limited voltage of three cells, the current will go up big time. I'm sure it can be done and maybe it just takes newer technology. My old 15C batteries could not do it very well; maybe the new 30C Li-Pos can handle the load.

I am a charter member of the "More EMF" club. I like having lots of voltage available. My current controller is limited to 15 volts  (4 cells), but I'm working on a new regulator so I can move up to 5 cells. Paul Walker went this route and I think it's the way to go with a 60-64 ounce ship.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
Ron,
Of course since power in watts=Volts * Amps, going to 4 cells rather than 3 drops the current 25%--for the same power, or for example 40 Amps to 30 Amps (values chosen to make the calculation easy!). To my mind and the wire sizes we use, this is not a super big deal either way. Now if you went to 6 cells, then you could get by with half the current, and for big wattage motors, it would make sense.

a 35 size plane, like the Nobler and Oriental, I think the 3 cell Lipo is still in the running, because my average currents will probably eventually end up in the 25A range.  So that would mean I will be drawing ~12-13 Amps per 3s Lipo (I use two in parallel), which is less than 10C for these 2100mAhr, or not too big a strain.

The main consideration in my case was finding batteries that will fit. A 4 cell battery is getting pretty thick to install in the Nobler fuse just over the wing. In the end, for the amount if energy (=power* time) for a 3 of 4 cell setup will end up weighing the same  regardless of going for volts over amps or vice versa. To me the tricky part are the physical dimensions of the cells.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 03:39:44 PM »
It's been a while since I had to do any math.  n~  But IIRC, when I first started flying electric CLPA in 2005, we figured we needed 150 watts per pound to do a competitive stunt pattern. If we plug in that need with our formula, we will need roughly 450 watts to fly your 3 pound Nobler through a decent pattern. Take that, and divide by your nominal 11.1 volts (yes, the fully charged li-po gives you a little more), then you're going to need 40.5 amps average during the six minute flight, which translates to 4.05 amps/hour or 4050mah if I calculated everything right.

It's not so much the current drain I'm worried about, it's the battery life. Pull 4000 mah out of a 4200 li-po (or 2000 out of each 2100) and you will have a short-lived battery. Going up to 4 cells lets me do the pattern with 30.4 amps (or about 1500 for each 2100 cell).

Of course, that was two years ago and we have better batteries and more experience. I have over 200 flights on my Shocker Cardinals and my real life experience is giving me a decent pattern on about 425 watts (50 ounce plane). I rarely stress my 4 cell li-po much over 1450 mah (2100 capacity) and my battery packs are still delivering good performance. I know the common knowledge says we can pull 80 percent out of these with no damage, but I learned at my job that 70 percent is a better target number.

Anyway - that's my thinking and the reason I did everything possible to stuff as much voltage into the plane as I can fit.  :## :##  I realize it's very difficult to fit a four cell pack into a Nobler (or an Oriental) and that's one reason I eventually went to a bigger airframe.

Please don't let anything I say deter you from flying electric power. Your own empirical data will be your best guide. I'm a computer engineer, not an EE and I graduated from the TLAR school of design.  <= 

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »
Ron,
At least from my first flight, which was a little too fast for me, the average current draw was ~28Amps. If I fly that for 6 minutes (1/10 of an hour), then I would pull ~2800mAhrs, which should be ok for the 4200mAHr batteries I have in there. Now the next flight (as soon as the $&*#%@$ weather improves!) will be at a little lower power setting, so hopefully I will even do a little better than that.

I am thinking the descrepancy between the watts per pound and what I am calculating comes from the fact that most of our flight (the level laps) really isn't much of a strain. As a matter of fact, one reason I chose the Nobler was that its wing is relatively thin by today's standards, and I am betting wastes a lot less power on those level laps than a modern "fat" wing PA Plane (whose fat wing holds back the vastly over-powered IC engine that most guys are running). Other considerations are choosing a prop that doesn't waste much power in level flight, which is why I went with the 5.5 pitch instead of a 4" pitch--I figure a slower turning prop is more efficient that one spinning at a higher rpm to make the same thrust in level laps. The main question is how it performs when it needs the power, and I haven't gone there yet! Yet I am hoping that reserve is there.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »
Rom:
There's a thread called "Shocking the Oriental" that covers what we have been doing so far.  I put it together but my Nephew, former e-pylon team member has been doing all the hard work.  What we have been doing solidly backs up Alan's claim that 3 cells will do the deed for a "Classic" size bird at up to 50 oz.  We do not have data recorder stuff, but gross numbers indicate roughly 2500 amps to fly the 50 oz bird through pattern at 5.5 lap times; performance comparable and possibly superior to my similar Oriental with LA40.  Average power (probably a usless parameter!) is only 90 W/lb.  Now here's the kicker, we started using Brodak SuperClown system, but replaced the ESC & timer to enable us to us a bigger prop at slower speed to control the airspeed & wind wind-up still using Brodak motor and batteries.  This is NOT a hi-tech set-up!

After our experience and from discussions with Bob Hunt, I am convinced that 5 cells will be impractical (too durned heavy!), at least until the NEXT leapfrog in battery design.  But no matter, 3 cell and 4 cell systems can definitley do the deed, and folks adding their experience with 5 cell (& more???) will continue to expand the knowledge base.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my accumulation of slimer engines..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 08:49:06 PM »
Dennis,
   Are you saying a 5S pack is to large (heavy) for ANY airplane? Or, just to large (heavy) for a Nobler/Oriental?

Mike

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 10:09:12 PM »
Mike:
I'm thinking too heavy for any.  Seems like when you start with the big pack it spirals through big motor, big ESC, big prop, big airframe.  That big airframe has to gt stronger in areas like controls and landing gear - pretty soon you have a 70+ oz bird. 

Put a better way, (and counting recent history) I'd rather got to battle with a 52 oz bird than a 73 oz bird - the lighter airplane outperforms the heavy one every time. In fact I'd take a 42 oz bird over a 52 ouncer 10 out of 10 times - if I could ever build that light!

Historically I have always been one of the low-power guys.  I'd rather design to power available than stuff more power in. (you can put a candle in a cow pie but that don't make it a birthday cake!)  I have always believed that there are limits to how much power you can expend in a 70' hemisphere, especially when the practical limit is the speed that corresponds to a (roughly) 5.5 second lap time.  E-power systems and data loggers now can show us to the 3rd or 4th decimal point how much power we are really using and how much we need.  Old "slimer" concepts like "reserve power" are obsolete - power carried and not used is WEIGHT.

Now if you can start with the 5 cell and turn all those volts into a teeny tiny lighter pack - now you're talkin - but that is not what I'm hearing.  With folks like you leading the charge E-power is making phenomenal progress.  Yet 5 years from now, we will all be shaking our heads over how big and heavy everything was way back in '07! Maybe in e-CLPA we should have our own Classic series for airplanes from 5 years ago!

OK I'm ranting like a reformed alky (please forgive me!).  You most assuredly have the e-power background and experience - in short, "you got the chops".  What is your thinking on the subject???

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:31 PM »
Dennis,
   We all know this is a touchy subject and there is no clear cut answer. It more or less comes down to what you (the pilot) are comfortable flying or what you feel will eventually yield better results. Both smaller and lighter designs along with larger and heavier designs have proved to be competitive.

On the other hand I think more contests have been won in the past 5-10 years with larger heavier designs. This may be true for one reason, more people are flying larger heavier airplanes.

We are not going to draw any conclusions in this discussion, but I did want to point out that Paul Walker won the North West regionals, placed 4th at the 2007 NAT's and made the world team all with a 5S pack. This again does not mean it is better than another, but it does show it is VERY possible.

I think it is to early to take sides on this one, but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds!!       

Mike

PS. I agree with a lot of your points made in your previous post.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 07:55:15 AM »
Let me just make one comment. I don't think 4s or 6s is too "heavy". Basically the energy a battery contains is proportional to its weight. If you need 400 watts for 6 minutes, then a 3s or 6s battery that can provide that power should nominally weigh the same (adjusting for the fact that the physical sizes commercially available are nominally fixed.) Of course the motor would have different number of wire winds, but to first order, that doesn't matter.

So what I am saying is that a 6s 2100mAhr battery is equivalent to a 3s 4200 mAhr battery in terms of stored energy and weight. This is an obvious statement if you consider making the packs out of six 2100 mAhr cells, the first arranged in series, the second being two 3s packs in parallel--just what I am running now. If I had a 24 wind motor (for the 6s pack) instead of the 12 wind, my flight power usage (and rpm) would be the same.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »
Hi Alan,
   I understand the energy density between a 3S and 6S is the same. We are talking about a larger battery in a larger airframe. (5S/6S 4200 not a 5S/6S 2100).

Dennis's point was if a 3S pack weighs ~10oz a 5S pack of the same capacity will weigh ~16.5oz. The larger airplane/powerplant is just to much for our limited airspace.

My point was it can and has been done, but it is up to the pilot to fly what he or she prefers. I don't see one having and advantage over the other. Yet......

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic!
Mike 

Alan Hahn

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
Mike,
Yes if you need more power for the same amount of time (a bigger plane), then the battery needs to be physically larger. So I definitely agree with you there.
But you can always trade off amps for volts in the P=I*V equation, and adjust the motor kV to suit for a given propellor and rpm. That's all I meant to say. Only when the current gets so large that the i^2R in the connecting wires/connectors becomes important (and if you keep that wire gauge the same) does a higher voltage system begin to beat the high current system. As long as the amount (=weight) of copper in the winds of the motor stays the same, no more resistance heat is created there either in the two cases. Of course you need the higher amperage ESC (which will usually have a lower resistance), and that usually costs you more ($), as long as the high voltage system doesn't force you to a HV ESC (also =$).
To me the choice simply was what would fit in, and to a secondary extent, the 3s 2100mAHr packs are pretty standard and I can use them in some of my RC applications as is.

Alan Hahn

Re: First Flight of the E-Nobler Arf--now the second flight.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
More flights:
Finally the wind droppped from gusty to almost calm, and U was able to get out and fly the e-Nobler again. The main difference this time was that I dropped the throttle from 36% (18 on the Zigras ZTRON timer) to 34% (17)--note I am running my CC ESC in governor mode. In terms of something physical, that means the rpms dropped from 9800 rpm range to the 9600 rpm range. With the APC thin electric 11-5.5 inch prop, the lap speed went up from 4.2 s (estimated from the previous plot) to 4.7 s. Even this turned out to be a little fast. Next flight (when the wind drops again) will be with the throttle set for 32% (16 on the ZTRON). I think I would like the lap speed to be in the 5-5.1 s range. The lines are 60 feet handle to center of the plane.
More or less the plane is flying fine, but isn't dialed in yet by any means. It would be nice to shed a few more ounces, and I could accomplish a little by pulling off the data recorder and LCD display, but right now I plan to keep it on. I include the Data record here for the full flight. I will point out that the comment Igor Burger made concerning the prop load, motor kV, and battery voltage is spot on (you can see that the rpm trace isn't  being held constant). This is puzzling since the table from the motor manufacturer (Scorpion) indicates that I should be drawing fewer amps than I actually am. Not too sure what is going on here--it could be the data recorder amp measurement is miscalibrated---but the used power (~2900 mAhr for the 2 3s 2100 MAhr batteries) is consistent with what my charger is putting back in. I plan on contacting the motor distributer it get his ideas on this. I am not sure why I am experiencing a heavier load than he did (for his static measurement).
Anyway on the plot, the top trace is the rpm, the next one down is airspeed (mph), the third is the current draw, the fourth (a little hard to see, it is a gray trace) is the battery voltage, and the last is the wattage (varying from ~310 Watts level flight to 360 Watts in the vertical maneuvers.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: First Flight of the E-Nobler Arf--now the second flight.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Alan,

Thanks for sharing this info. The only thing I can think of for the load difference would be line drag, but since you're trying to compare real flight data with static load data, I'm not sure if any of it compares.

As an FYI, back in my younger days, I was comfortable flying a glow powered Nobler on 58 foot lines with a 4.9 - 5.0 lap time. You are right about there.  :##

Thanks,

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Alan Hahn

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 11:13:43 AM »
Ron,
I was wondering whether the close proximity of the cowl to the prop is causing a higher load on the prop. I thought I might take the motor off and bolt it to a test stand and measure a few things like kV etc. Also now I am wondering a little about the the total resistance of my setup (there are a lot of plugs in this setup). Not positive if it matters to this puzzle since the data logger is measuring the voltage and current input into the ESC and that is what I am comparing to the motor specs. Yes I know reducing any resistance is good and would give me more volts at the ESC and in the long run is good to do.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 01:50:22 PM »
You might have some interference with the slipstream hitting the cowl and fuselage, but once you are in the air that should not be seen at the motor.

On some of our experiments, we hardwired the ESC to the motor. This eliminates those bullet connectors because they can get dirty and noisy. Even though these are downstream from your data logger, there should be some difference in the current draw passing through to the motor.

I guess a lot of this depends on just how much drop you are seeing. We have a lot of connectors (I'm running parallel packs in my setup), but if the difference is tenths of an amp, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as I can get enough power to the prop and don't kill the battery in the process, I'm okay. I have my controller dialed down quite a bit right now as it is.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 08:12:45 AM »
Hi Alan,
Hi Gang,
Forget the cowl and nose/prop interference issues. They are all interesting but not really the issue at hand.
You are using almost exactly 3 A-H out of a 3S pack to fly a pattern with a 48 ounce airplane. That's about right y1
For comparison a competitive setup in the mid 50s ounces will use maybe 2.6 or 2.7 A-H from a 4S pack, and the 65 to 70 ouncers will use the same 2.6 A-H from a 5S. The proportions are right!

When you slow your airplane a tiny bit, the total consumption may go down a little, buuuut ...
I see that your RPM varies a bunch, while good setups vary +/- 250 RPM at most during the changing maneuver loads.
I also see that your instantaneous current only varies about 30% of the average during a particular maneuver.
One or both of two things are wrong.
1) Not enough airspeed/power overhead.
2) sub-optimal ESC governor settings.

First I'll ask, what are all your settings. I don't have my notes ( they substitute for the brains that I used to have n~) but somewhere in one of the nearby threads, you can find the settings Bob and I settled on last year. I'll go look, too.

After you have done that, and taken data for us to share ...
Do as Igor says, and put the 7-pitch prop on the airplane. Do not even think of flying it  n1 until you get the Z-tron down to a percentage that produces 7500 or 7700 RPM. The total power consumption will be almost exactly the same if the lap times are the same, before and after.  You can do that at home in the shop. Now when the data logger runs you should see about 50% peak to peak current changes in a maneuver, and the line tension above 45 should allow you to further lengthen the lap time and improve your comfort level. The RPM excursions will now be small and BRIEF. It's the briefness of the unwanted RPM changes that makes E-Stunt the marvel that it is.

later,
Dean

Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Dean,
Thanks for the post. It is good to deal with modeling issues rather than politics, global warming, and BOM  Z@@ZZZ.

I flew yesterday with the lower throttle setting and also with a few changes in the CC ESC parameters. As a background comment my CC ESC was setup to run governor mode on the Brodak Super Clown with its stock motor with high kV (except that I had changed the governor mode from the SuperClown Low Governor mode to the High Governor mode for the E-Nobler). Anyway up to yesterdays flight the ESC parameters were:
Auto Lipo detection, Soft Cutoff, Heli Governor High, Forward Direction (yes I know this doesn't matter unless the plane moves backwards!), and more importantly:
Motor Start --Custom (75)
Throttle response--Medium
Motor Timing --Low   (was hoping to conserve battery power--although CC says this is best choice for outrunners  (??)
PWM rate -- 13kHz (default)
Current limit --insensitive (especially since I am pushing past 35A with this 35A ESC!)
Governor Gain--Medium  (50)--this was necessary on the Super Clown because I was getting motor power oscillations on hard square maneuvers
Spool-up speed ==High (but even that seems like an eternity!)

Yesterday I changed the following parameters:
Motor Start --Medium (50)
Motor Timing--Standard
Governor Gain---Custom  (70)  (this is higher than before)
Spool up--Custom (9)--still takes a long time!

Also I flew yesterday with the Zigras at a "16" setting (32% full throttle)---this works out to ~9100rpm

One comment, is that the lap times were pretty nice a little slower than before, and the rpm was held steady (same 11-5.5 prop as before). Overall felt pretty good, but I will admit the wind was relatively calm, so if there was some wind I might have need for more power. I don't have the 11-7" APC prop, but I agree that I should try it. It would move me down more into the power region of my particular motor kV and battery sweet spot. As a matter of fact, that was what I was doing with the Super Clown, moved from the suggested high rpm 9-4 prop to eventually the lower rpm APC 10-7.5.

Here is data-logger plot but the volt and amp plots were pretty strange--they were way off as if the datalogger was using a different scale for the data. This could have been due to my screwing around the day before with a 4.8V nicad setup to let me use a RC setup to look at throttle settings. I didn't reset the data logger before the flight. Anyway I think it is working ok, but operationally it doesn't expect to see major cell count changes for one the multiple data sessions. Anyway l left the pack voltage and current draw off this time becasue of that. But in the plot, the top trace is airspeed, the next is rpm, and the lower (green) is the altimeter reading. Now I hope you realize I wasn't flying underground!---there seems to be a drift due perhaps some pressurization due to airspeed. Eventually I'll track it down. Now it is useful to tad the high points of the flight and correlate airspeed with the pattern.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
For your entertainment pleasure, here is a blowup of the flight from the start to the three inside loops. The airspeed (top trace with axis on rhs), the battery current ( axis on lhs but ignore the actual value, it is incorrect as mentioned in my previous post) and the altitude (also ignore the absolute value as mentioned in previous post) are shown.

Note how the max current, min airspeed, and max altitude are correlated. The max current occurs a little before the minimum airspeed, while the minimum airspeed seems to be roughly at half the max altitude.

Another thing that impressed me is how the maximum airspeed (48-49 mph) is really held to not much more than cruising airspeed (45mph). Minimum airspeed is ~30mph.

From 13 level laps at the end of the flight, I calculate a lap speed of 4.9 s. Assuming a radius of 63 feet from the center to the pitot tube, this would give a lap speed of 55 mph. The discrepancy might be related to the same problem that the altimeter sees (a slight pressurization of the fuse). Need to work on that eventually. I also plan to cut 40 seconds off the flight time (now 6 minutes counting the spool up of the motor) which should give me plenty of extra laps at the end and save a little juice. My charger claims it put 1286 + 1264 = 2550 mAhr back into the two 2100 mAhr packs. I have found that the charger usually agrees quite closely with what my data recorder claims I take out during a flight .

Note added---did I really forget to put the picture in?? here it is. Whoops, I really am losing it. That was the wrong picture. Here is (I hope) the correct one showing an expanded region.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:13:43 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2007, 07:58:54 AM »
Hi Alan,
Keep cranking on the governor gain until just before the oscillations. Presently we set to 80, and haven't yet tried a new optimization after the most recent prop change. I've talked to Patrick at Castle about the spool-up time. He understands.

If I had to pick 3 parameters that tell me what the setup is doing, I'd pick Current, RPM, and Airspeed. If I'm looking to see how we are treating the equipment, it'd be Current , Voltage, and Cumulative Current/Capacity. Like I said, we are looking for 50% crest to valley current variations along with less than 250 RPM variation from the average.

It looks like maybe the pitot or static pickup tubes are angle sensitive or something. Where is your static port for the airspeed indicator?

Thanks again for the flight data. Could you picture this just a handfuil of years ago?

later,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
One more picture from a flight yesterday. I think the motor stuff is pretty close now, and it now is time to trim the plane. I haven't made any motor changes from the previous parameters, except to cut the total motor run time to 320s (5 minutes, 20 s). This gave me 5 laps after the last maneuver. One other point is that total current draw out of the 4200mAHr battery system was 2221mAhr, a little more than 50%. So that begins to open up the potential for some weight savings, and the mind is running amok with the possibilities (like a 4 s 2100mAhr pack which should provide ~25% overhead due to the extra 2100mAHr cell, but 4oz less weight).

The average level flight current was ~26A, with peaks up to 39A (overhead 8). Pack voltage was always greater than 10.4V during the flight. Average level flight power was 250 watts, with peaks to 411 watts (also in the overhead 8's).

Traces, top to bottom, airspeed, cumulative current draw (red), watts (orange), and altitude (green). Still some issues with the altimeter drift and absolute airspeed, but relative values are probably useful.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 07:49:29 AM »
Lookin' good Alan!
The 4S 2100s sound a little thin to me: assuming all else stays similar, you'd be using 78% of the 4S 2100 each flight.
That's using them pretty hard, but pack wear-out won't be so expensive either. Now you need 1 afternoon of Summer weather to see how much battery you would use in that condition.

Happy trimming,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 04:49:43 PM »

Speaking of E-Noblers, last Dutch Open Nats, German pilot Ullrich Kappler surprized us with a beautiful electric Nobler. He made the complete nose unit, containing the entire power train, detachable.
Here's some pictures:

First picture by Henk de Jong, next by Claudia Kehnen. I tried to make a proper link but it worked no way, so I'd rather not, but had to re route them...

He is using an AXI 2814/12 motor, an APC 10x5 electric prop, a SAEHAN 3S 2500 battery (only 172 grams) and he mentioned just having changed the ESC.
I'm having good results with a MGM 4416 F2B, it should easily drive the smaller motor in a Nobler.

More info I've gathered:

Weight: 1020 g ~36,5 oz.
Lines: 60ft.
Motor run: 5min30
at 9150 RPM 5,8 sec laptime, 1450mAh used.
at 9400 RPM 5,6 sec laptime, 1575 mAh used.

He said that with APC 10 x 5 E at 9150 RPM flying is OK. Takes 21 Amp on the ground.

I've seen it doing the full pattern and indeed, it is convincing.
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
Wow--That certainly is a clean installation--makes mine look pretty kludgy (which it is!). Your motor is a little smaller (and lighter) than mine which has 20 mm long magnets (more or less equivalent to the AXI 2820 series). We are both running very similar rpms---maybe due to the same timer and ESC (forgot which ESC you are using).
Right now my Nobler weight is down to just under 44 oz with the single 4s2100mAHr battery (weight is ~200g). Seems to work ok, but I do need to get the plane trimmed up better. First flight needed just under 1650mAHr to fill it back up. However tomorrow they are predicting snow flurries, so probably only a few more flights are likely this season.
My lap speeds are ~4.9 s --and I may be able to slow a little, but yours are very slow by comparison. Of course with that weight the motor can keep the speed up in the verticals.
Really nice.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 02:03:46 AM »
Hi Bruno, it looks well, I already started to work on large gee bee r3 fuselage also with detachable nose, but all "important" will be fixed inside, just cowl will be relatively large (like r/c guys used to do)

but I am surprised with that electronics ... isnt that small smd unit on right side of PC an acceleration sensor? looks like a MMA7260 which I wanted to use, but I found another way to simulate 4-2-4 run VD~

... looks like answer for question how he could fly so slow lap times  S?P

Alan Hahn

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »
Igor,
I am not sure what you are referring to---the only thing I see is what I think is a Zigras Ztron timer---but maybe I am not looking at the right point.
Actually I've been trying to figure how to tie my airspeed indicator into the throttle. Boy that would bring out the old-timers union I bet!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »
Sorry I do not know Ztron, it just looked like that device, I heard someone from Germany wants to use it for stunt to add power overhead, so I wanted to ask Bruno if it is already reality. I tried centrifugal regulator, but it did not work well, I hoped someone has working solution.

I mean this device:
http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MMA7260QT.pdf

Kim Doherty

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2007, 10:02:15 PM »
Sorry I do not know Ztron, it just looked like that device, I heard someone from Germany wants to use it for stunt to add power overhead, so I wanted to ask Bruno if it is already reality. I tried centrifugal regulator, but it did not work well, I hoped someone has working solution.

I mean this device:
http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/data_sheet/MMA7260QT.pdf

Igor,

So let me see if I understand your question. You want to know if someone is using an accelerometer to adjust the speed of the motor in control line electric flight? That's the question right?

Nope, never heard of anyone doing such a thing.   ;)

Kim.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:12 AM »
>>>You want to know if someone is using an accelerometer to adjust the speed of the motor in control line electric flight? That's the question right?<<<

EXACTLY

... I know one ... his name is Igor VD~, but it was on IC engine and did not do what I expected, or better sayd id did, but side effect are ill, especially in wind.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 08:42:15 AM »
Hi Gang,
I would think that all you want to do is raise the RPM up to 5% (maybe even 10%) if the line tension/centrifugal force drops below some threshold value. A mechanical accelerometer would possibly be more robust and drift-free. Let's see what "leads" the loss of line tension, usually? Loss of airspeed, of course ... Rapid control movement?

The trick is to keep the fast RPM governor control, and to make the smaller adjustments to the RPM setpoint with the possibly laggier line tension/airspeed feedback.

The loss of airspeed thing is the heart of much of this thread. If you have a setup that averages 25 Amps, but has the headroom to easily double that if the RPM bogs a bit, then you get to keep your level flight speed, everywhere. Line tension up high will still drop of due to "grabbity" but you get to keep more of the level lap tension than if speed drops of substantially.

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here