News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Electric  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
First Electric
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
Finally bit the bullet and made the decision to go electric.  Have to admit that I had plenty of encouragement to make the change from Walker, Whittle, Granderson and Varley.   Now I just have to wait til the weather warms a bit and stops raining long enough to get it airborne.
Model is 650 sq. in based on Bob Hunt"s Saturn.  Power is an E-flite Power 25 which started out being rear mounted but changed to a front mount after my flying partner Chris Cox started having suspected bearing problems with the same set-up after about 40 flights.  Motor is rigged to turn CCW as I fly CW.  Will start out with APC E props but also have some Xoar E props and have a 3 blade I also want to try.  ESC is a CC Ice Lite 50 and timer is by Wil Hubin.  Batteries are 4S  3000mAh.  Final weight came out at 58 oz ready to go but I suspect I'll add a bit of nose weight as my CG is a little rearward.  Finish is Randolph dope over Polyspan.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:17:25 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: First Electric
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
Alan,
very nice,, the first word that comes to mind is "crisp"

I like it,, I cant wait to hear your flight reports,, I dare say the expert circle at the regionals will be a very quiet place,, all the onlookers will need to be more aware of their kibitzing during flights now LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jose Luis Oterino

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
Nice model... congratulations...
Welcome to the E-World... ;D

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »
Alan
This is the first time I have seen it finished.  What Mark said - very crisp and clean.

Norm

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Hi Alan,
You did a great job on that plane!!!! Good luck with it!!!!! I would also suspect that you will need some nose weight as your plane is very similar to Buddy Wieders Ryan's Eagle which is also based on the Saturn. He is using almost the exact same setup as you but with Hyperion 4S 4000 mah and he is adding a little nose weight to that. Of course everyones preferences are a bit different. Which 3000 mah batteries are you using?
 As far as the bearings go I'm a bit surprised that Chris' had a failure after so few flights. I took a Power 25 apart recently(to do a bearing change) and those motors have about the best bearing of any popular motor in that size range(only Cobra may have better). Buddy's is front mounted with over 300 flights. My Scorpions bearings were still good when I replaced them with over 100 flights and my motor is rear mounted and the bearings are smaller than the Power 25.
AMA 98010

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
NICE job Alan!   CLP** HH%% 8)

Ironically enough, most of the APC pusher props we have been getting have not been duplicated as tractors - you are going to be doing some trail blazing. I am looking forward to hearing how the XOARs perform for you.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
Very nice, good luck with it.

James
AMA 491167

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »
That is one really nice looking plane.   Hope it flies as well as it looks. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here