News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:39:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiorotti timer confusion  (Read 883 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fiorotti timer confusion
« on: June 08, 2023, 09:29:37 AM »
I’m setting up a Fiorotti timer on a new plane. I used this same timer on my previous SV11. This is a new SV11. Both were ARFs. I have leveled the plane both upside down and upright using a level and the same surface of the airframe. I verified the wing to be level both ways as well. The reference “C” on the Jeti programmer says 418. I set the sensor so that it read 418 and mounted it on the wing. Just to double check, I flipped the plane over and releveled it. Now the sensor is reading 408. I thought that the C reference was the zero point. From the looks of it, I need to reposition the sensor so that it reads 413 both upside down and right side up. I don’t remember questioning this when I mounted it on the last SV11 but the 413 number had a familiarity to it when I figured that is what would be needed for level both directions.
I actually set it to the 418 initially without double checking and flew several flights. I noticed that inverted and upright lap times were noticeably different. That’s why I am now investigating the sensor position.
Hs anyone else ran into this where the neutral point of the sensor doesn’t match the C reference number?

Thanks, Matt

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fiorotti timer confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 02:31:21 PM »
The reference “C” on the Jeti programmer says 418. I set the sensor so that it read 418 and mounted it on the wing. Just to double check, I flipped the plane over and releveled it. Now the sensor is reading 408. I thought that the C reference was the zero point.
"C" is factory set and should not change.  You have to move the timer pad around till "Y" and "X" match "C".  I really think close counts because the plane will not be flying "level" when you are flying level and will probably have a minutely different AOA level and inverted.  The important thing is to have the timer pad flying level.  I use "C" to bench setup a new plane but from that point forward if my lap times inverted are different I just keep fiddling with the setting till they are the same.  I have mine mounted on a pad with an adjustment screw accessible from the outside to change "Y".  It is "tweak and fly" till it is right.  They give us little to work on with "X", so I don't mess with it.  I believe that it uses "X" to govern G-Force but mine kicks in just fine when I want it, so I don't worry about it.  I do know that If you have the orientation setting wrong it will drive you nuts trying to set the boost settings.  Now if you really want an adventure in timer setting, put the pad in backwards (pointed at the nose).

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 02:42:29 PM »
Ken,
After you tweak yours, what do you get for numbers from the timer Y and X when the plane is leveled on the bench upright and inverted?  What does the plane look like on the bench upright and inverted if you level the sensor to Y = C, upright and inverted?  As you noted, the C value is a value sent from the sensor on a carefully leveled table, then stored.  That is the reference value and the reason that Y should equal C. 
Fred

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 03:17:06 PM »
Ken,
After you tweak yours, what do you get for numbers from the timer Y and X when the plane is leveled on the bench upright and inverted?  What does the plane look like on the bench upright and inverted if you level the sensor to Y = C, upright and inverted?  As you noted, the C value is a value sent from the sensor on a carefully leveled table, then stored.  That is the reference value and the reason that Y should equal C. 

I can get the same value on Y and C on my latest plane, I think it is 413.  I only do "X" once then forget it.  There are so many other things that affect the angle of the wings that close is probably just as good as perfect.   On Trifecta I am 1 number off both ways from C.  I don't have the adjustable pad on that one and it gets hard to hit that single number with shims.  Crist Rigotti has a rather ingenious adjustable pad for a profile.  I am going to steal his idea on all future planes.  FYI, I discovered something recently.  If you put the sensor pad facing the nose the timer completely stops working except for time and base RPM.  The status light stays on solid for the whole flight.  Don't ask me how I know this.

Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here