News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:56:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiorotti Impuls Generator  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
Fiorotti Impuls Generator
« on: May 04, 2022, 05:05:28 AM »
My Fiorotti V.6.X  timer is acting up, it no longer accelerates going nose up and when I plug in the Jeti box I now get a screen "Impuls Generator"  yes no, it says 1,065 ms and 4.66 volts, when I click on no the screen goes to "Servo Cycle" and then "Servo test" and back to Impuls generator. Any ideas?
Thanks

My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fiorotti Impuls Generator
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 07:32:49 AM »
My Fiorotti V.6.X  timer is acting up, it no longer accelerates going nose up and when I plug in the Jeti box I now get a screen "Impuls Generator"  yes no, it says 1,065 ms and 4.66 volts, when I click on no the screen goes to "Servo Cycle" and then "Servo test" and back to Impuls generator. Any ideas?
Thanks

It may be the ESC.  You don't have to disconnect the Fiorotti to program but you do need power on.  I have seen that mode but I can't remember what caused it.  I did something wrong and when I did it right it was OK again.  I never fly without checking settings first. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 07:57:10 AM »
For Rorgerio

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 08:16:49 AM »
It may be the ESC.  You don't have to disconnect the Fiorotti to program but you do need power on.  I have seen that mode but I can't remember what caused it.  I did something wrong and when I did it right it was OK again.  I never fly without checking settings first. 

Ken

Thanks Ken I forgot to mention I'm using a ICE lite 50 esc programmed per the instructions.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:33:46 AM »
I removed the timer from it's mount with the censor still in place, it works now, maybe wires bunched up?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
I removed the timer from it's mount with the censor still in place, it works now, maybe wires bunched up?
Just a thought. Did you remove the control wires connector from the timer or wiggle it?  I have had one of those little flat connectors make intermittent contact.  Luckly it was an extension and easily replaced.  I have also put the cables on wrong just about every way you can.  My biggest fear using electric is that a wire appears fine and positioned properly on the ground then fails when under 8-10g's.   At least with IC the sound stops and usually a bit of warning.  With electric you get no warning.   One thing I love about the Fiorotti is the separate cable to hook up the Jetti box.  I leave that wire connected and mount the other end through the fuselage on a hatch so that I never have to touch any of the wiring to use the Jetti for the timer. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 11:47:27 AM »
Just a thought. Did you remove the control wires connector from the timer or wiggle it?  I have had one of those little flat connectors make intermittent contact.  Luckly it was an extension and easily replaced.  I have also put the cables on wrong just about every way you can.  My biggest fear using electric is that a wire appears fine and positioned properly on the ground then fails when under 8-10g's.   At least with IC the sound stops and usually a bit of warning.  With electric you get no warning.   One thing I love about the Fiorotti is the separate cable to hook up the Jetti box.  I leave that wire connected and mount the other end through the fuselage on a hatch so that I never have to touch any of the wiring to use the Jetti for the timer. 

Ken

Yeah I had a timer that drove my crazy, it would randomly quit without warning,  luckily it never caused a wreck,  I finally ended up soldering the leads to it, problem solved.

Another point of interest on the Fiorotti, for some reason I had the "RPM, Min, PWM" set at 085 instead of 020, not sure what that would do but it's set back and I will fly it again and see what happens.

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »
My experience with the message.  When "Impulse Generator" shows on the Jeti box look for a wrong connection.  The connection can be wrong polarity or connection to the wrong plug on the timer.  Leave an "aileron extension" on the plug for programming and mark it clearly.  Then you can plug the Jeti box into the connector instead of trying to find the correct timer plug and polarity for programming.  Plugging into the timer can be difficult down inside a fuselage.  The Jeti box can act as an impulse generator or a servo tester as well as a programmer.  When you see the message, the Jeti box is letting you know that it is not ready to program, not connected properly. 

Here is a site with some brief explanation of Jeti box functions.
https://aeropanda.com/products/jeti-telemetry-spin-mezon-esc-jetibox-monitor-programmer
Fred

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »
My Fiorotti V.6.X  timer is acting up, it no longer accelerates going nose up

For this part of the question, pleas supply more data.  What are your other timer settings?  Base or set rpm, nose up setting, Sensitivity, Max, Min, and G-force? In general, start with Max and Min about 50 - 75 above and below set rpm.  Message me for more is you wish.

The ICE is not a great ESC for active timers, too slow.  Jeti Spin or Jeti Spin Pro seems to work well. 

Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
Yeah I had a timer that drove my crazy, it would randomly quit without warning,  luckily it never caused a wreck,  I finally ended up soldering the leads to it, problem solved.

Another point of interest on the Fiorotti, for some reason I had the "RPM, Min, PWM" set at 085 instead of 020, not sure what that would do but it's set back and I will fly it again and see what happens.
Dwayne - listen to Fred.  His advice took me from wandering in the wilderness to a working system that I actually almost think I understand LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 12:59:03 PM »
For this part of the question, pleas supply more data.  What are your other timer settings?  Base or set rpm, nose up setting, Sensitivity, Max, Min, and G-force? In general, start with Max and Min about 50 - 75 above and below set rpm.  Message me for more is you wish.

The ICE is not a great ESC for active timers, too slow.  Jeti Spin or Jeti Spin Pro seems to work well.

Hi Fred, for some reason I had the "RPM, min PWM set at 085 instead of 020 recommended in the instructions, please what would that do?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 01:56:05 PM »
Hi Fred, for some reason I had the "RPM, min PWM set at 085 instead of 020 recommended in the instructions, please what would that do?
I set the RPM PWM to give me the lap time I want.  In my case a 5.2 on 65' E2E for a 60oz plane 11-6 three blade MA prop it came out to 280.  I have my Min Max at 80 units both directions. 200 min 360 max.  They will automatically change if you change the PWM. Fred will probably call the timer police on me here, but I have since been experimenting with settings that give me solid feedback so that I can learn more about what each setting does and which one to use to correct a specific need.  Everybody will differ here.  What I have found so far for me is that more sensitivity suits me better than more nose up.  I am set at 22 and 6 at present and I suspect I have passed the breakeven and need to move back to say 18 and 8.  However, observers have told me that I don't seem to have the drive I need in the squares.  They feel OK to me but these are not inexperienced observers either.  Balancing all of this with g-force is a pain but g-force does more for me than anything else.   I can do respectable OH8's again.  I can't bend back like I used to so it is either fly them at 80 degrees and face the judges licking their chops, or bump up the line tension so that I can fly the back half blind by feel. The other things that G-Force makes me happy over are the pickup boost coming off of the top if the inside loops in the V8 and the solid feel at the top of the hourglass.

Good luck
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 02:07:22 PM »
The picture on the site shows 020 as you noted, and then the verbiage says adjust up to the set rpm value on ESC 1.  That value shown of 020 or 1.240 pulse width is close to the start or turn on point of 1.200.  1.200 is the initial fix point noted in Spin timers and the limit upper is 2.000. 

I don't prefer to get close to the limits.  My understanding is that below the initial point, the timer is not active.  That is the turn on point.  Similarly, 2.000 is the full throttle "use up your battery" point.

From a practical point, the minimum is a stop for deceleration, and you would need a very aggressive Sensitivity to get to that minimum unless your RPM setting is already quite low.  The reason I asked for your base rpm setting.  The minimum setting may not be reached and in that case, a minimum of 20 or 100 could be similar flying.  Stated differently for clarification, you timer may only call for a slowing to 120 and in that case, not much difference in having your minimum at 20 or 100.  You are setting a near unreachable limit.
Fred

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 02:40:24 PM »
I have flown these timers for a few years and before G-force.  I didn't use Nose up and flew with Sensitivity, Max and Min.  That worked fine.  With Sensitivity in the 20+ range and (Max and Min 80 - 100 delta) and no other functions, you can hear and see the timer accelerate and decelerate.  You may like that for a while so that you know that it is working, and you got what you paid for :-)  That sound may give part of the impression of drive, and quietness may suggest lack of function or drive.

Nose up, Sensitivity, and G-force seem to come on at slightly different times.  The net result may be as much total acceleration but not with one torque point.  The change is not as audible as the triggers are at slightly different points.  All of that is a non-engineer user description of function, so take with a grain or shaker of salt.

The Spin ESCs's have a coarse rpm logging function "Max RPM."  If I hold the plane level and do a run for say 20 seconds, then the max rpm is an approximation of the base rpm (suggest doing this with G-force off as I think it will try to accelerate the plane to reach the calibrated G-force).  I can do similar by flying the plane level for several level laps and then checking the value.  Next fly the plane (all functions on) and do Sq8 or HG, or OH8 or Clover, all of which are similar high power or high acceleration maneuvers.  Then check the Max rpm.  I got about 500 rpm addition with high Sensitivity, or with a balance of Nose up, Sensitivity, and G-force.  When I used only Sensitivity, I was much more aware of the torque visibly, and rpm change audible.  I prefer the balanced approach.  My 500 RPM increase above is with an Igor 12 x 5 narrow or flat back, and RPM of about 10,200 and about 68' C to C and about 5.35 laps.  All my secrets are revealed.

Use each function by itself until you figure out what it does for you and then you can then better adjust to suit your style.  Or try about 8 of nose up, 8 of sensitivity, 8 of G-force, and Max and Min of about 60.

Fred

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 02:55:41 PM »
Thanks guys, I just got an Email from Rogerio asking for my address and he'll ship me another one, didn't ask how long I've had it or how many flights on it. Now that's service.  y1

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 09:08:14 AM »
I'm at field now. It seems to be working now.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 09:12:02 AM »

I'm at field now. It seems to be working now.
:)! #^ :)!
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »
I set the RPM PWM to give me the lap time I want.  In my case a 5.2 on 65' E2E for a 60oz plane 11-6 three blade MA prop it came out to 280.  However, observers have told me that I don't seem to have the drive I need in the squares.  They feel OK to me but these are not inexperienced observers either. 

A suggestion about "drive" based on what a lot of flyers use with accelerometers.  If you were in a car and wanted more "drive" out of a slow down or turn, you could shift down a gear.  Similarly, shift down to a 5 pitch and adjust RPM accordingly.  Higher pitch may be battery efficient, but not flight or score efficient.  You could also increase prop diameter if battery, landing gear clearance and factors allow.  Or both, a 12 x 5.  Xoar 2 blades aren't bad, and are light weight allowing for changing speed.  Try a Xoar 11 x 5 and or 12 x 5.  I thought that the Xoar 2 blade 12 x 5 was close to an 11 x 5 3 blade.
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here