News:

• April 24, 2024, 03:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiorotti Help  (Read 1775 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fiorotti Help
« on: March 01, 2023, 06:40:12 PM »
Help
I may have "done blowed up my timer".  I programmed it and flew two sessions.  I figured out how to get the rpm I needed.  I next came back to play with the special settings.  I went to program it and all I get is "waiting for device".  Did I accidentally hook it up incorrectly enough to blow ir?  The "users manual " says to make sure the timer is turned off ...... I didn't know there was a on/off switch on it.  What are they talking about?  Everything I try now comes up with "waiting for device"  Any suggestions?  Is this what it looks like when you have blown it?   Help
Frank

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Fiorotti Help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:12:37 PM »
Frank,
Check your servo lead to the timer.  If you have another one, try that.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 08:26:36 PM »
Help
I may have "done blowed up my timer".  I programmed it and flew two sessions.  I figured out how to get the rpm I needed.  I next came back to play with the special settings.  I went to program it and all I get is "waiting for device".  Did I accidentally hook it up incorrectly enough to blow ir?  The "users manual " says to make sure the timer is turned off ...... I didn't know there was a on/off switch on it.  What are they talking about?  Everything I try now comes up with "waiting for device"  Any suggestions?  Is this what it looks like when you have blown it?   Help
Frank
The power for the timer comes from the ESC.  To program the timer you have to hook up the Jetti box with the ESC turned off however yours works.  I use the Jetti and it has a switch.  With the box hooked up the timer goes into programming mode and will say "Controlline Timer" when you put power to the ESC.  If you hook it up with power on or you get the cables reversed on the timer it will do what you are experiencing.  Also as Crist mentioned, a bad cable.  So far I have not had any of the three I have damaged by hooking up everything possible wrong at least once!  There are three sets of pins on mine.  Nothing goes on the middle set for normal use.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 10:03:17 PM »
Frank,
It is not likely that you have caused harm from what you describe.  If you want help tomorrow contact me, PM sent.
Fred
Fred

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
Thanks guys for the reply's .... sorry was out most of the day today
The pigtail wire is good .... the Jeti Box is good ... they both work on other timers
Fred I'll pm you

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 07:19:04 PM »
Sent back email.
Fred

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 06:36:48 PM »
It's very easy to test the timer to see if it's burned out or not.

First normally connect the ESC to the timer and connect the battery. The light should come on and the ESC will initialize with the characteristic sounds.

Assuming the ESC, batteries and cables are ok if the light doesn't blink the microcontroller is burnt out. If the light blink and the ESC still doesn't start, the problem is the signal gate burnt out.

If the timer passed this first test, you must conect the ESC on the timer terminal that you conect Jettibox. Don't worry, it can be done without problem.

When connecting the battery the light should blink and the ESC initialize. If the ESC does not initialize the microcontroller port used to receive the Jettibox signal is burned out.

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 06:51:04 PM »
To burn the timer you cannot connect the ESC cable in lateral displacement. The ESC cable has the center pin as positive turning 180⁰ the + is still connected correctly. But if you connect as in the photo the + can end up burning the microcontroller signal Port.

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 08:51:04 PM »
Douglas,

Great explanation.  Reverse connections are common, especially for timers buried deep in a fuselage.  Also, trying to program on the 2nd ESC lead is common because you can't visualize the connectors if the timer is buried.  I always recommend putting an extension on the programming pins and leaving it in place.  Also leave a lead connected to the Jeti Box. Programming the timer is then simple by connecting the leads/extensions and are always in the correct place.

In Frank's case above, everything seems to works except programming.  We walked through all connections everything seemed to work when connected correctly, but its would not program and said waiting for device.  That seems most consistent with previously powering up with the pin shift as described.

I hope that you knew that from your knowledge base and didn't have to learn by experience and lots of timers :-)

Thanks for the information,
Fred
Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 11:31:19 PM »
Fred's advice is spot on.  Once you have the esc programmed it is rarely touched.  I connect a lead to the programming pins then make it accessible from the outside.  No opportunity to get it wrong, no hatch to open. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 03:47:00 AM »
Douglas,

Great explanation.  Reverse connections are common, especially for timers buried deep in a fuselage.  Also, trying to program on the 2nd ESC lead is common because you can't visualize the connectors if the timer is buried.  I always recommend putting an extension on the programming pins and leaving it in place.  Also leave a lead connected to the Jeti Box. Programming the timer is then simple by connecting the leads/extensions and are always in the correct place.

In Frank's case above, everything seems to works except programming.  We walked through all connections everything seemed to work when connected correctly, but its would not program and said waiting for device.  That seems most consistent with previously powering up with the pin shift as described.

I hope that you knew that from your knowledge base and didn't have to learn by experience and lots of timers :-)

Thanks for the information,
Fred

Ha ha ha. Bull's eye.

I already burned a timer connecting wrong. You know. @#$% happens.

But if the ESC cable is correctly connected to the Timer and the Jettibox cable incorrect as on photo, the Jettibox data input can been burned.

Better also test the Jettibox as in the video with an RC servo.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xBTGknQOzzU?feature=share
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 05:01:10 AM by Douglas Bykoff »

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 06:02:55 PM »
Thanks again everyone ....

I promise to be more careful next time

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »
So far I have not had any of the three I have damaged by hooking up everything possible wrong at least once!
I said I had tried all of the ways to screw up, well I found another way to hook it up wrong but I don't know when it happened.  Fired the arming circuit.  Acts fine, programs, does everything except work.  Apparently I got the middle wire connected to an end pin and when it powered on it trashed the timer.

My question is, Can these timers be fixed?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2023, 07:53:22 PM »
I said I had tried all of the ways to screw up, well I found another way to hook it up wrong but I don't know when it happened.  Fired the arming circuit.  Acts fine, programs, does everything except work.  Apparently I got the middle wire connected to an end pin and when it powered on it trashed the timer.

My question is, Can these timers be fixed?

Ken

You can, if you have some experience with SMD soldering, replace the burnt microcontroller, but without programming it will be useless.

It will be like a computer without an operating system.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here