News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finish options for electric  (Read 462 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Finish options for electric
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
One of the stated advantages of electric is the lack of need for fuel proof finish. 
So has the electric crowd come up with anything new ( not fuel proof) in finishing that is easier, lighter, or less expensive than what we were using on glow models.
I recently discovered transparent finishes, using dope.  Defiinitely lighter, not all that hard if you are good with the woodwork, but still expensive and labor intensive.   

So has this stated advantage of electric really panned out ? 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Finish options for electric
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
To some extent, any superlative finish is going to be expensive and time consuming -- the best quality materials cost money, and getting every last detail right takes time.

I think that the advantage is that you no longer have to worry about fuel proofing (or resisting in the case of dope).

And certainly a "pretty good" finish is going to be far easier, as you can just waltz down to the local hardware store and find any old rattle-can that'll stick well to the 'coat of your choice, without having to worry about it turning to slime when you run an engine in it's vicinity.

(There was a thread on this recently, and one of the respondents pointed out that the finish on an electric still needs to be somewhat fuel resistant, unless you only want to fly when your slime powered buddies aren't).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Finish options for electric
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:46:57 AM »
Personally,
I really dont see the use of electric affecting my finishing choices at all. I now of no other system that will give the  reliably for me, that I am willing to use. I will continue to use automotive base / clear systems.
of course thats me, and in thinking further, I beleive I will take the same steps towards the interior engine bay that I would with a glow airplane, though probably different material. I am somewhat concerned with having to fly in humid, or as some contests in the NW go, VERY liquid humidity. SO in order to maintain integrity and not risking alignment changes due to water absorbtion I will likely coat the inside of the front end with catalysed clear Urethane to seal it. Just my thoughts,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here