News:

• May 20, 2024, 04:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop pitch vs battery size (and weight)  (Read 3198 times)

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Prop pitch vs battery size (and weight)
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »
Hey guys, I think we're re-hashing old ground here but I have a bit of a conundrum with on of my ships..

I have a modified Imitation which has been my workshorse for the last year or two.

I've been running a middle of the road setup, reasonably high rpm, and reasonably low pitch  10x5. I'm finding that I'm nearly killing a 3100mah 4S pack each flight.

This has me thinking about things, I'm now thinking of slightly repitching up so as not to hurt the packs so much each flight, by reducing RPM a little.

The next logical step is increasing pitch even more, and reducing the pack size and hence overall weight. I can do this with the current setup as increasing pitch doesn't increase amps nearly as much as a change in diameter.

Seeing as most of the modern IC ships are running big props with low pitch for speed regulation, should I actually be going the other way, bigger pack again, and more diameter, lower pitch, more rpm? the obvious thing here is bigger motor, bigger ESC more weight etc.

Whats more important, power or all up weight?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
Re: Prop pitch vs battery size (and weight)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:23:50 AM »
Hello Greg,

More diameter means higher efficiency, so I would try the largest diameter possible first.
Regards,

Wolfgang

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
Somethings not right, need more info. I think your prop's too small and you're making up for it with rpm? Some 5 pitch props measure 4 pitch but if your plane is bigger than 500 Sq. In. you need an 11" dia for a 2 blade. Try an APC 11x5.5 EP with the rpm around 9200 and trim from there. Need more info.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »
Whats more important, power or all up weight?

Within reason, adequate power is more important than weight.  (Don't try flying a brick powered by an OS 90AX).

I didn't notice the prop diameter -- I agree with Motorman.  You should try 11" and 12" diameter props, possibly at lower launch RPM, before you try more pitch.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline schuang

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »
The efficiency of Motor/ESC vs. prop size should not vary dramatically IMO (unless you turn prop extremely fast which assuming not the case here).  The biggest factor might be the air speed of the plane.  Meaning if you use a longer line than needed, you have to maintain the line tension by flying faster which will take lots of juice from the battery.  Also, longer line means longer traveling (factor of 2pi).  Cutting couples of feet and flying slower makes a big difference if you can afford to do it.

Regards,

Sean

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:50 PM »
Guys, I was talking in hypothetical terms, whats more important:

Power and speed regulation, or weight?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »
Guys, I was talking in hypothetical terms, whats more important:

Power and speed regulation, or weight?

So the five paragraphs about things to do to your prop to change power consumption (which may not have the results you expect) were just a red herring, and the one line at the bottom is what you really care about?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but given a fixed airframe weight I think you want to have adequate power for that weight.  Reducing weight by reducing power is not, I believe, going to lead you to joy and happiness.  Of course, if the airframe is just too damned heavy then you'll be chasing an ever-receding goal, which is what motivated my comments about huge engines and bricks.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
Tim, not neccesarily a red herring, but more a brief outline of how I got came to ponder these important questions of electric stunt, although I will most certainly try some of the tips you guys have thrown around to see what benefit they hold.

And 5 paragraphs? Jeez man, It's not like wrote a novel!

I realize that both these things; power and weight are of prime importance, but to a certain extent they're mutually exclusive. You can't have a lot of power without a lot weight, so inevitably our power systems are a balance of power over weight. I guess the real crux of the issue is should I be tipping one way or the other?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:31:31 PM »
More pitch means lower RPM and thus less power. But it also means lower speed stability (more slippage under the same load = brake - for example in vertical climbing or divig) ... so it works pretty weel the same like diameter, while larger prop needs more power and keeps speed better, also lower pitch does the same.

However there is small detail. The prop with higher P/D ratio, has usually better efficiency (yes it is question of that ratio, not the diameter itself), so it is nice thing for cruising, lower P/D has good static thrust. So while we have lot of power on IC engines, we can trade efficiency for good thrust. Electric need better efficiency, but we will never use props with P/D = 1 like we see on constant load applications. So P/D equal or little lower then 1/2 is way to go.

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 10:54:25 PM »
 Igor, thanks for that, it's very much the answer I was seeking.

I know that from my flying in F3A, it's all well and good to have power, but you need to stay under the max weight (5kg), and also have enough capacity to finish the schedule. In F3A it's simple enough to throttle down to economise on power, and use high efficiency props to get the most thrust/power per mah, but in F2B there is no throttle!! (except for your system which I am beginning to see the benefits of!)

I'll work around the P/D =0.5 as a basic rule in future.

Regards

Greg
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »
Hi Greg,
In all this, I did not hear what the plane in question weighs.
If it much over 56 ounces, you are cutting things too close. (I figure 0.65 Watt/hours of battery capacity per ounce all-up-weight to fly the schedule.)
The battery you have is ideal for 52 ounces or less.
It is also possible to run too high an RPM, in combination with low pitch, so that you can't effectively use the battery capacity you have.
Regards,
 Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here