News:

• May 20, 2024, 02:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak 1/2A Baby Clown ARF Electrified  (Read 6398 times)

Offline badbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak 1/2A Baby Clown ARF Electrified
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
I've had this kit around for quite a while, along with a Brodak .049. I even tried to sell both, nobody wanted them ~^ I also have a 1/2A Pathfinder kit I want to build as an electric. I bought the power system, an RSM BK2836C outrunner, along with a Castle Talon 15 ESC, Hubin FM9. I have a bunch of very old Outrage 1300 3s lipos that have proven to be some of the best lipos I ever owned- literally hundreds of flights on them, always fast charged in 7 minutes or less and still in great shape, so I wanted to use those. With everything sitting there, I had to see it go and didn't want to wait to build the Lil Pathfinder... So out comes the Baby Clown ARF. 2 Days later I ended up with this.
The motor is very smooth and has a ton of power, at least it feels like it does, no flying till the weekend. The timer and esc are set at 10,050 rpms and with a 2.5 minute run I am using about 38% of the lipo- putting me right in line for 5 minute flights. Weighs 13.3 oz all together which includes the 1/2 oz of lead I had to put on the tail for tail weight. Initial flights will be on 35' lines. I'll let ya'll know how she goes.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak 1/2A Baby Clown ARF Electrified
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
Looking good (Bad)Bill! #^
Is that battery arrangement in the notched LE the stock planned way to do it or is that something you came up with to help get the CG back?
Thanks, and good luck on maiden.
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
I had to do that for CG purposes and also so my old arse batteries would fit. Didn't need near the tail weight I thought it would.  ;D

Looking good (Bad)Bill! #^
Is that battery arrangement in the notched LE the stock planned way to do it or is that something you came up with to help get the CG back?
Thanks, and good luck on maiden.
Chris
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
Good show dropping some VooDoo magic construction on that Clown's CG.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
I would reccomend at least 42' lines! At 35 ft, you are going to spin like a top.  VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
I would reccomend at least 42' lines! At 35 ft, you are going to spin like a top.  VD~

Those will be for the test flight Larry  n~ After that I'll make some 42' Powerpro lines....

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
Well I am going to have to admit that this thing is LAME. While the test flights were uneventful, I really thought it would have more power. Line tension on the 35' lines was OK, but I was still hesitant to even loop it. I'm not sure if the 13 ounces is just too heavy or what. I can bump up the RPM's some but not sure that's the answer either. While it is on the recommended CG it feels nose heavy and sluggish. This is NOT the right plane for an electric conversion, for sure-  I have seen lighter batteries so I could chop an ounce off that way, but I don't see it making that much difference. It's not the delivery of the batteries either, I'm not getting any sag in power from start to finish of the flight.  I will play with some ESC and timer settings and try again, stay tuned!
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
Do you have an amp meter, Bill? Maybe the motor isn't drawing enough from the battery? Maybe more speed on longer lines is the answer?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
Do you have an amp meter, Bill? Maybe the motor isn't drawing enough from the battery? Maybe more speed on longer lines is the answer?

Well, I've got one but I don't need it to tell you that I'm pulling 11.94 amps. It's using 494 mah in 2.5 minutes. Anyway, at about 141 watts that is over the 100 watts per pound rule, which should theoretically make this thing capable of 3D  y1
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
I'm no expert, but that sounds like enough. How fast is the plane flying?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »
I'm no expert, but that sounds like enough. How fast is the plane flying?

It is fast enough... just kind of gutless LOL. Like it needs a bigger prop. I am using the recommended prop. Looking at the MFG website , here is what it says-

"Black Tiger competition level electric motor are made exclusively for RSM Distribution using only superior grade imported Japanese bearings and Stator cores. High grade copper wire is used to insure that the motors run cool. RSM Black Tiger Motors use only high grade neo magnets. Before shipment all of the motors are properly balanced and inspected for quality.
The motors come complete with mount frame, prop adaptor and connectors attached.
BK2836C (.061 glow power equivelant), 1300 kv, 3 cell Lipo, 250 watts"

I'm thinking the 250 Watts is maybe the maximum??
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
Have you tried a new battery pack?
I'm wondering if your packs, although still working well, just don't have the punch that they should. You said that they are quite old and have literally hundreds of flights on them. Maybe they are empty soldiers??
The Thunder Power Labor Day sale is where I would look first. Maybe Eric will chime in, but it just sounds like your packs are possibly suspect to me.

I hope that you get it sorted and working good.
I'm really enjoying the E-powered Oriental that (you sold me?) I got here second hand. Even my died-in-the-wool glow power flying buddy loves flying it.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
Yep I did send you an Oriental kit!   If this thing was pulling 25 or 35 amps I might think the batteries could be the culprit, but nah they can easily deliver 12 amps. I fly them is a few quads and other planes that demand more than this and they do fine. I did plug in one of my 2200's and it was about the same.... 
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
I'm not much of an expert either, but I think it just may be a bit of a porker.  At 13.3oz its a very heavy 1/2a plane origianlly designed for an .049.  I'd save that power system for the Pathfinder and get one half that size for the baby clown.  I have converted my .049's to electric with a 120W motors and 900mAh batteries and they fly good at 7-9 oz.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 11:09:29 PM »
Hi Bill,
Please tell us what prop you're using and also what rpm. I've made true .049 as in Babe Bee size models fly well on 2 cell batteries and I fly my .15 size models on 3 cell 1300 mAh lipo's. Yours sounds like an in between size as in .06 to .09 and that is the size that RSM uses that motor for. It sounds like your rpm is just too low, so just tell us the prop and rpm and I'll see if I can suggest anything. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
Keith,
           I'm using a 7x5EP as recommended by RSM. ( As is a 1300 3 cell ) RPM , as mentioned in the first post, is set at 10050. I could increase the RPM, or increase prop size, either of which is going to severely limit flight duration.
 I do think you are right on the money, the plane is too heavy as equipped and too small for the motor. On my next try I am going to crank the RPM up a lot and see what happens.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »
Hi Bill, I had a look at the size of the Baby Clown and it is indeed a Baby Bee size 1/2A model, so your overall system is a bit much in terms of weight. If you have a look at my thread on my 1/2A model I called Sparky then you'll see my setup that works well for this size model. Here is the link http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,37540.0.html

This is a lightweight system and works with a 2 cell lipo and the APC 6 x 5.5 E prop spinning at 10 300. The foam and paper covered wing was made because I was too lazy to cut ribs and have to cover it afterwards, but it is heavier. I wanted the thicker wing than the usual 1/8" balsa plank in order to hide the battery. Something like the old Jumping Bean would also work nicely with this setup. Your setup would do fine in the Brodak 1/2A Pathfinder which is about an .09 size model.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
Well, I fixed it. It is now a full pattern capable little bomb, flies very well! Tee Dee .051 running pressure with a red cap, 5x3 prop, KK needle valve assembly.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 07:20:27 AM »
Bueno!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »
Good job Bill! That liquid "battery" has a higher power density than any lipo! The screaming Tee Dee does a very good job of converting the power as well!  y1

My little Sparky model flies a lot better than most Babe Bee engines but the 4 small screws to stick the Cox engine on the nose, plus a few drops of liquid in the tank is real hard to beat for simplicity!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »
Hi Bill,

Is that TD 051 running all right for you?

Dennis

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »
Hi Bill,

Dennis

Haven't run that one yet Dennis, but I am sure it will. I am building a Baby Flite Streak for it!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
Hi Bill,
Dennis

Haven't run that one yet Dennis, but I am sure it will. I am building a Baby Flite Streak for it!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »
"The Good, The Ugly and The Bad."

Hey Bad!

I haven't forgotten that Shark 15 graphic. How is the model coming along and when will you need the graphic?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 04:57:33 AM »
"The Good, The Ugly and The Bad."

Hey Bad!

I haven't forgotten that Shark 15 graphic. How is the model coming along and when will you need the graphic?

Charles

Hey Charles,
                           Nice to hear from you, hope the new year is treating you right. The Shark has been done and flying since Nov. 15, but the original kit decal I had disintegrated after about 4 flights  :'(
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here