News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC selection - CC Ice Lite 50  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC selection - CC Ice Lite 50
« on: November 22, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »
Guys,

In the past I have used the CC Phoenix 45 ESC, they have come out with a ICE lite 50 that includes a data logger and is 0.8oz (Tower has them for $84). It is listed as up to 6 lipos and sounds like it does everything that the 45 does and more. Has anyone tried one of these or have information about its applicability to stunt?

Best,              DennisT

Alan Hahn

Re: ESC selection - CC Ice Lite 50
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »
Except for the datalogger feature, it has all the features of the Phoenix series---they are Phoenix ICE ESC's.

The 50 lite is physically bigger than the Phoenix 45---mainly due to the BEC chip which has a pretty big heatsink. Another detail is that the "Lite" weight doesn't include the wires--which are pretty heavy gauge wires, at least compared to the 45, so if you have extra length on the 45, it would pay to cut back the Lite 50 wires.

But I think the big feature is the built in datalogger. I paid ~ $90 for my Eagletree data recorder, brushless sensor probe, and a temperature probe. It is a big deal in my book if you don't already have a datalogger.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:13 AM »
Dennis,

In my opinion, the ICE controller is the correct choice for Stunt.  With the built in data logger and the price as compared to the standard Phoenix controllers, it really is a no brainer for me.  We have some flights this year using the ICE 50 and it worked exactly the same as the standard Phoenix controllers.  I like the datalogger output better than the eagle tree as well as the weight savings offerd to be flying with a logger without the additional weight of the logger.

Now, I have chosen to use the heat sink version as I like to keep thing cool and will take the weight out somewhere else.  The 50lite should be a great controller for you.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana.
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
Just a comment, even the Lite version is physically larger than the Phoenix 45, due to the BEC and an internal heatsink. So it will take up a bit more space than the 45 which might be a problem if things are already tight. The "normal" ICE due to the external heatsink is larger still.

I think the irony is that external heatsink is mainly for the BEC (I think), so that it can convert down an 8s pack to the 5V for RC. I am not sure it does much at all with the FET's and current, because both Lite and normal are 50 amp ESC's.

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:01:11 AM »
I think you're right Alan, but I also wanted teo 8S capable controller for what I have no idea.

I have registered some surprising temps though for a stunt flight @ around 120 Degrees.  My pylon birds were about the same 12-130 degrees. 

Did I mention that I like the ICE controller??

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
From what I understand, the firmware in the ICE lite won't even let you run a pack greater than 6 cells. Since I am currently using only a 4 cell pack, I thought I'd be ok with even the limited expansion capabilities of the Lite.

Yes I can tell you like your ICE!.

Advertise Here
Tags: ESC 

Advertise Here