News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC Plugs  (Read 605 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC Plugs
« on: July 26, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
Has any one notice that diffrent ESC diffrent plugs ( Futaba) ( airtronic) is there any standard.
I even notice that Batteries of the same brand and size have diffrent balancing plugs.   ???
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

Re: ESC Plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
Larry,
I thought the E throttles were using nominally "Futaba"like wire ordering. I think Airtronics was/is different. Basically you have ground (black or brown, +V(red or orange), and signal (white) on the plug. Now the plug itself isn't polarized (it is called "universal" now, which means you can plug it in with 50% chance of being correct!)

With respect to the balancing plug on the battery, there is a lot of controversy about them being non-standard. I have a combo of FMA mainly, the Brodak 4000mAHr battery, two ThunderpowerLite 730mAHr packs with no balancing plug at all, and a 2100mAHr pack from Hobby People I bought for a RC Ducted Fan Foamy--which tends to puff whenever I use it in the Foamy. All have different balancing plugs.

I have two chargers, the first was the Astroflite 109 (non-balancing) which charges through the supply plug (Deans), and on that charger I use an AstroFlight "Blinky" balancer. I have several adapters I use to interface the Blinky with the different packs. Then I bought the FMA cellpro 4s and that charges through the balancing plug. On it I have used only with my FMA packs which of course are the same style. It is another reason to stick with the same manufacturer/packager (of course the reason the manufacturer does it!).

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »
Alan I went through that same thing I have FMA  4pro and 10 charger / with adapters for Thunder power and EVO.

My reference is tha Futaba plugs are keyed with notch and Airtronic does not like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, the wire code is Black/brown is ground red is red and white is orange..
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »
Larry,
Almost all the "modern" third party RC stuff (like Hitec or others) have abandoned the key and leave it up to you to figure it out. It does get tricky!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »
Hi Gang,
Actually virtually all of the ESC manufacturers use the JR plug, which can plugged into a Futaba receiver with care! The JRs are keyed by having two corners chamfered.

You can hope for standardization on balance connectors, and you could pray for a standard on ESC connectors but don't hold your breath ... we like you alive!
take care,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here