News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:15:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC keeps going into limp mode  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Cheenist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
ESC keeps going into limp mode
« on: March 14, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »
I have 139 flights on this combination, Brodak Hornet 40amp ESC, Hubin FM timer, Arrowind 2815/09 motor, 10/5 prop, 2200mah Thunder Tiger LIPO's, 10k launch RPM. The airplane is a Top Flite ARF Nobler. Lately it goes into limp mode shortly after take off. It runs in limp mode for maybe a minute then comes out of limp mode and runs like it supposed to. I've tried new batteries...any suggestions?

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ESC keeps going into limp mode
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »
Not sure what "limp" mode is but I assume it is half power or something like that. I would check the timer programing to see if something got a glitch. I had this happen one time when I tried to cycle the system off then on for a quick second test flight (these were only 30 sec flights so had lots of battery). I had landed and went to the ship with the ship in the stooge shut it off then right back on. This caused the timer (a Ztron) to go to default which was reverse rotation from what I had programed and it started to spin up in reverse. Luck I had it in a stooge. Check the timer setup.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 05:22:37 PM »
Could the ESC be overheating?  Doesn't make great sense as it seems to run fine after "limping" as opposed cycling normal to limp to normal and limp...  The manual mentioned power reduction with over heating.

https://brodak.com/pub/media/pdf/ESC%20Brodak%20Hornet.pdf

Fred

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 05:34:58 PM »
I have 139 flights on this combination, Brodak Hornet 40amp ESC, Hubin FM timer, Arrowind 2815/09 motor, 10/5 prop, 2200mah Thunder Tiger LIPO's, 10k launch RPM. The airplane is a Top Flite ARF Nobler. Lately it goes into limp mode shortly after take off. It runs in limp mode for maybe a minute then comes out of limp mode and runs like it supposed to. I've tried new batteries...any suggestions?
I had an FM-9 go bad.  Do you have a spare you could swap to test it?  I also had a Castle ESC reset itself and it had the wrong motor magnet count and battery cell count.  It did what yours is doing and ironically it was on a AFR Nobler.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »
If it speeds up again I don't think it's battery plus you tried different batterys. It didn't over heat for the first 139 flights so I don't think it's heat. Must be esc or timer. Those Hornet things are like 10 buck on Alibaba. Get a good CC Edge Lite 50. Sometimes if you just go back and re-set all the settings it will fix the problem but I'm done with cheap esc. Of course check and clean all your connections. There was a thread about battery connectors getting dirty on here a while ago.

Motorman :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:17:21 PM by Motorman »

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 09:36:49 PM »
Any follow up on this.  It is great to get answers for the next time or next person :-)
Fred

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 07:00:31 PM »
I think there’s a fix for this, but it only applies to electric. With nitro it could result in dangerously low fuel pressure.

If only I’d mix my paint as thoroughly as my metaphors.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Cheenist

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the help, and sorry for the late response as I wanted to do some shop testing and some field testing. Seems the RPM was set to high. I slowed it back down to 10k and all is good. I'm not sure how it got changed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here