News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC Brake  (Read 2314 times)

Offline linheart smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ESC Brake
« on: December 31, 2006, 10:13:33 AM »
After over 100 flights using my JMP timer to control RPM, I decided to take Deans advice and try Governor Mode (actually it is set to Heli high).  I like it so far BUT now I cannot get Braking at all, even though the software on my laptop says the ESC is set to Hard braking. Should I be on Heli Gov High/Low?  Is there another parameter which needs to be set to get braking while in one or all of the Heli modes?

Linheart

linheart

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: ESC Brake
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 11:31:43 AM »
Linheart,
   If your using a CC ESC the break is disabled in governor mode. I assume it is the same for all brands, but I can't be sure. If you read the CC instructions it tells you under throttle type that the break is always disabled in governor mode. Its been a while since I programed my ESC, but I think a hard cutoff will give you a quick prop stop w/o a break. It also depends on the motor cogging. 
   This was a problem (or could have been a problem) for Bob Hunt at the worlds. Maybe Dean can elaborate on that topic......

Kim Doherty

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »
Linheart,

"Brake" mode is used for aerobatic aircraft. It can range anywhere from mild to wild. Even stopping a propeller from 9000 rpm to zero in less than a second generates tremendous torque. So now think about what would happen if you were in a helicopter that had Brake mode enabled and the pilot engaged it! The rotors would leave the hub, silence would envelope the cabin, you would rapidly see more ground than sky, autorotation procedures would seem moot. (we leave this picture at this point as it is not nice to stare when people are having a bad day)

For this reason, ESC manufacturers will not enable Brake mode and Heli (governor mode) at the same time. Bad for business!

There is nothing the JMP timer processor can do to get around this. It is strictly an ESC function. The CC ESC will not permit this combo.

This spring/summer, Schulze will announce a purpose built F2B ESC that will permit Brake mode with governor mode. It is a totally dedicated Control line aerobatics ESC with advanced governor mode programming just for control line. Stay tuned.

Kim.

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »
You are right Sir:

I read the CC instructions and it clearly states that Braking is disabled in all Heli modes. 

At the beginning of this project I flew many flights without Brake.  This allowed the prop to spool until the Bearcat came to a complete halt.  After reading the Rules I came to belive that a Control Line airplanes motor Must shutdown prior to landing. 

Will a spooling prop qualifly as a stopped motor? 

Linheart
linheart

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
At least in AMA events, there is no rule that I am aware of that the prop has to be stopped. The "only" thing I see is that "The duration of the flight ends when the model rolls to a stop." (quoted from the rule book for the landing).

I have read that this is different for FAI.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:48:32 PM »
   Its been a while since Bob or Dean explained the rules to me. I don't fly FAI events, so I may be off a little. 
   I believe the FAI rules state there can be no power to the prop during landing. FAI judges said a freewheeling prop was considered "power" to the prop. This means the landing was not judged when the motor shuts off, but when the prop stops freewheeling. Of course you know what can happen to your landing points....... Again maybe someone knows for sure and can chime in.
   As for AMA events Alan is correct. No problems with a freewheeling prop. 

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »

I got five flights in today using the governor mode.  A nice little learning experience.  Line tension, lap speed very good with a 12-5 wood Zinger wide blade.

Landing with the prop free wheeling seems odd.  I do not care for it.

Hope CC or someone makes an ESC for CL stunt soon.

Linheart

linheart

Kim Doherty

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »
Re: Freewheeling prop in FAI

Under current FAI rules (those used at last summers W/C in Spain) the motor must be stopped (not providing power) prior to the plane commencing the landing manoeuvre. There is no requirement to stop the propeller from spinning. All electric flyers received full landing points. There is currently a discussion to require the prop to be stopped prior to commencing the landing. Not one judge commented to me that this was a problem in any way.

Regardless, an unpowered spinning propeller generates a lot of drag and makes it more difficult to set the plane down exactly where you want to.

Kim.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:41:45 AM »
Hi Linheart,

Every time I see a post from you, I think of your beautiful Bearcat, and I get Scale CL plane envy! ;-)

Thanks for the update on your results. What settings did you use on your JMP timer?

Did you just set the 1st run speed for X % and the 1st run speed time to match the Total time of the entire flight?

What power % are you using to get these good results?

What RPM are you using? ...... Also, how many mA are you using per flight?

I assume you no longer can have the idle up time in the beginning?

Do you still get the TWO blip warning approx. 8 sec before shutdown?

Sorry for all the questions, but your info will be a big help to us all. ...... TIA for your answers.

Regards, Rudy ...... Happy "Flying" New Year! :-)

I got five flights in today using the governor mode.  A nice little learning experience.  Line tension, lap speed very good with a 12-5 wood Zinger wide blade.

Landing with the prop free wheeling seems odd.  I do not care for it.

Hope CC or someone makes an ESC for CL stunt soon.

Linheart

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline linheart smith

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 08:21:21 AM »
Hi Linheart,

Every time I see a post from you, I think of your beautiful Bearcat, and I get Scale CL plane envy! ;-)

Thanks for the update on your results. What settings did you use on your JMP timer?

Did you just set the 1st run speed for X % and the 1st run speed time to match the Total time of the entire flight?

What power % are you using to get these good results?

What RPM are you using? ...... Also, how many MA are you using per flight?

I assume you no longer can have the idle up time in the beginning?

Do you still get the TWO blip warning approx. 8 sec before shutdown?

Sorry for all the questions, but your info will be a big help to us all. ...... TIA for your answers.

Regards, Rudy ...... Happy "Flying" New Year! :-)

Hi Rudy,

Questions always appreciated here at the Stunt Hanger.

Not knowing exactly what to expect with the Helli Mode, I set the JMP timer for 4 min. total time.
30 sec idle
3.5 min run 
Time 2 and time 3 set for same RPM/% ?
Measured RPM = 9800-10000
Prop = 12-5 wood Zinger (This was an old Zinger I had around the shop which is wider than the normal Zingers.)
ESC set on Helli Set point (I still want to try Gov. high and Gov low)
Line Length = 63 feet. Eye to eye.
You still get the two blip warning
I did not get a chance to reset the timer for 6 min.and fly. (Some fellows wanted to use the football field for football.)
 The 4 min flights used betweed 1.91 and 2.45 amps.
Hopefully, I can get two more minutes without exceeding the batteries safe capacity discharge level.

Linheart

linheart

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 04:30:25 PM »
Linheart,

Thank you. Your answer is just what we needed. :-)

Your right, it looks like going to 6 min. with your setup will come close to the 80% safety wall for the battery. Please keep us posted with your mA use at 6 min.

BTW, Do you make your living as a professional artist? After seeing several pictures of the inside of your plane, they show a precision and beauty of construction far beyond what we mere mortals are capable of. :-) ........ You make it very difficult for the rest of us to just "hack" out the interiors of our planes to make room for our Elec. equipment. ;-)

Regards,
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
Hello Gang,
A version of the Castle Phoenix software that will allow the use of a brake with governor mode is coming!
I spoke to the folks at Castle and based on my providing some "guaranteed" sales quantity the good folks at Castle will make the software mods to create a CL mode.
later,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
Re: Freewheeling prop in FAI

Under current FAI rules (those used at last summers W/C in Spain) the motor must be stopped (not providing power) prior to the plane commencing the landing manoeuvre. There is no requirement to stop the propeller from spinning. All electric flyers received full landing points. There is currently a discussion to require the prop to be stopped prior to commencing the landing. Not one judge commented to me that this was a problem in any way.

Regardless, an unpowered spinning propeller generates a lot of drag and makes it more difficult to set the plane down exactly where you want to.

Kim.

Hi Kim, little late, but ... The landing with freehheeling prop was judged in spain because of exception from rules which has be active for two years. After that, the prop must be stopped before landing. The reason on judges meeting was trouble to recognize "no power to prop" because motor does not produce noise like an IC engine does. Therefore judges do not see clear engine stop. The exception was allowed because we thought that the brake on actual ECSs is only temporary problem and will be solved early.

In any case there was and there are ESC with brake, for example I fly (and I know that also several people here in Europe) TMM ESCs from MGM-Compro - it is special "ACRO" version for aerobatic. I heard that also Jeti will probably make brake on its "SPIN" ESC (this will be very good choice because it allows more cells and still gives 5V for timer they sale also small box allowing perfect on-field programming including RPM on governor)

igor

Offline Robert-Jan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
If you go back to an older
version of software (prior to 1.23) you will have governor mode AND
brake.

Greetings Robert-Jan

Advertise Here
Tags: