News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC & BEC?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC & BEC?
« on: October 20, 2007, 09:59:52 PM »
OK my propensity for, uh, "intellectually challenged" questions sometimes amazes even me - but here's another one:

I understand the Phoenix 45 ESC is a popular/effective choice.  So while looking over its specs I see, "Lipo Cells w/BEC 3S max" and "Lipo Cells NO BEC 4S max"

Doesn't the ESC have to have either BEC, or a SEPARATE battery if NO BEC, to function?  If it is a separate battery then how large (capacity) is needed? 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

Re: ESC & BEC?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »
Dennis,
The CC Phoenix ESC's use what is know as a linear BEC for powering the servos. What this means is that to get the voltage down in a range so that it doesn't fry the receiver, servos, and in our case the timer, the battery voltage is dropped across some type of transistor like object. The implication of this is that this transistor is "eating" the power of the higher votage, specifically this power equals just the current out of the BEC into the receiver/servos * the voltage drop.
For a 3 cell lipo the voltage drop is about 7 Volts or so (12V-4.8V). I believe typical current requirements for  rc setups is somewhere in the range of 0.3 to 0.5 Amps (40 sized 4 channel ship). So this would say the BEC would have to "eat" 7V*0,5A=3.5 watts of power. This is a hefty amount of heat to dissipate, which is also why they tell you how many servo's you can attach. If you had a 4 cell lipo, the voltage drop would be ~16V-4.8V) or 11V and now the heat to dissipate 5.5 watts. They are telling you the BEC can't handle this much heat.
Now we just need enough current for our timer (very tiny) so I doubt that we would hurt the BEC, even with 4 cells, but I would certainly contact Castle Creations first----but on the other hand, almost everyone I think is doing it.

By the way, I just posted a review of the JMP-2 and Ztron CLT3 timers in the review section, for those who may be interested. I mention this mainly because I often forget to look down that far on the Forum Topics.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:28:55 PM by Alan Hahn »

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:29 AM »
Similar to what Alan said, the Phoenix BEC circuit is a voltage regulator. It takes the input voltage and drops it to the nominal 5 volts to power the receiver and other RC servos. It's a little more complex than a dropping diode or resistor because it senses when the voltage drops too low to safely power the radio and shuts off the ESC at that point. The current requirements are expected to be under 3 amps, so it doesn't need extra heat sinking or such. An RC system at idle pulls about 350ma, but if all the servos are moving (such as my helicopters), the current draw is closer to 2.8 amps, and if a servo stalls, the current can spike much higher.

If you want to fly your RC model with more than 3 cells, you must clip the red wire from the ESC going to the servo - ie. disable the BEC. Then you must provide a separate receiver battery pack for your system. Most of us simply use a short servo extension with the red wire clipped to handle this chore instead of actually cutting the ESC wire.

For our purposes, our voltage limits are regulated by the controller's limits. My Gray Tiger chip can handle a little over 15 volts input, so I can just feed the 4-cell pack straight through the ESC and fly. I will have to build a new voltage regulator if I want to fly with five cells.

Hope this helps,

Ron

PS - I had a very enjoyable chat with your Dad at Huntersville. Sure brought back some great memories.
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »
""Ron said

PS - I had a very enjoyable chat with your Dad at Huntersville. Sure brought back some great memories."

HI Ron

Right you are  it was  good  to see  Big Art at the meet, we had a few conversations too!
It was  also great to see you again Ron!

And  Dennis  , I asked Art about the V-tailed stuntship mold from a few years back, told him it maybe time  to break it back out  #^

Regards
Randy

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »

And  Dennis  , I asked Art about the V-tailed stuntship mold from a few years back, told him it maybe time  to break it back out  #^

Regards
Randy

could be!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
Dennis,
   If this was the airplane published in FM (I think) it was a good read! I came across the article not to long ago.

Mike

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:58:31 PM »
Hi Mike,
This one is a new design.  I'll post more pix when its a little further along...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:14:52 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for remembering the article.  The Gemini Mk1 was published in FM August 1991 which was a built up wood predecessor to the Gemini III which used the fiberglass fuselage/plug-in wings.  (See thumbnail!!)  The Gemini mk1 can be built from the glass fuselage (mold is still in great shape according to dad) because it uses the same numbers & wing.  Both original airplanes still exsist.  See the FCM contest report to see pictures of the Mk1.

The article was written when I was 16 years old and it was proof read by my Grandma Betty.  The Gemini mk1 was built new for the 1989 Tri-Cities Nats.  This would be a great airframe for an electric conversion because of it's clean lines and low drag planform.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01:40 AM »
     Getting back to the ESC/BEC thread I'm trying to use a Jeti-opto ESC in a carrier plane and now find it doesn't have a BEC for the U-Tronics unit. Jeti doesn't give any drawings or information on what the 3-leads (orange, red, and brown) do that come out of the ESC. I know they are used to program the ESC but am sure the at least one of the leads is also a signal lead. The U-Tronics unit has a variable resistor that has to signal the ESC so you can have throttle control, so I need to know what those three leads do? Anyone have any ideas? eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »
Eric
The U/Tronics Single channel unit only pulls about 10 mamps so it can be powered by a small battery of 4.8 to 6 volts.  You might try a "PX28A" 6 volt battery that is available for blood glucose meters at the drugstore.  It has 4 each 1.5 volt carbon - zinc button batteries inside.

One advantage of using a separate battery, you can then use the U/Tronics unit as originally intended with the slide pot at the handle and two insulated lines.

It sounds like they have coppied JR's color code.  If so, then the output from the U/Tronics unit would hook up U/T black to ESC brown and U/T yellow to ESC orange.
Do not connect the U/T red wire to the ESC but cover it with tape.

Check with the manufacturer before connecting it up.  I do not want to be blamed for the smoke if they are wired differently.

Clancy

Corrected reference to JR servos..  I originally said Futaba, Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 04:33:30 PM by Clancy Arnold »
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 02:25:27 PM »
It sounds like they have coppied Futaba's color code.  If so, then the output from the U/Tronics unit would hook up U/T black to ESC brown and U/T yellow to ESC orange.
Do not connect the U/T red wire to the ESC but cover it with tape.
Check with the manufacturer before connecting it up.  I do not want to be blamed for the smoke if they are wired differently.

Actually, they copied JR's color code. Futaba uses black, red, and white (negative, positive, and signal).

The Jeti uses brown, red, and orange (like JR) for negative, positive, and signal. Orange is the signal lead.

The radio manufacturers use the wiring of negative, positive, and signal from bottom to top to protect the system if you plug something in backwards. It doesn't hurt the system if you plug the signal wire into ground - the servo (or ESC) simply doesn't work. All three wire systems since 1970 have used this scheme.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
Ron,
I guess they didn't figure on me plugging my JMP-2 timer offset by one pin! That smoked the poor timer!  :'(  I may attach a servo extension-like lead to my timer so that the ESC plug will fit into a housing. Once things settle down with rpm's and times, I could remove the extension but during the chaos I usually generate during trimming times, I need all the safeguards I can get!

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
     Thank you all for the answers to my questions. Back to building. eric

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 06:26:33 AM »
Ron,
I guess they didn't figure on me plugging my JMP-2 timer offset by one pin! That smoked the poor timer! 

Alan,

OUCH! I'm sorry to hear about that. I guess the CPSC hasn't gotten into RC - yet.  n~ n~

You smoked a timer - I splashed my Shocker at Huntersville. Sounds like you and I had a bad weekend.  '' ''

(The Shocker is undergoing repairs as we speak.)

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:35 AM »
Ron
Thanks for the correction.  I should have walked down to the garage and verified the brands I was referring to.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
Ron
Thanks for the correction.  I should have walked down to the garage and verified the brands I was referring to.

Clancy

Clancy,

No problem. That's what these forums are for anyway. Your hook up info was correct, I just provided a little more detail.

Besides, If I walked downstairs to my basement to verify anything, I would forget it before I got back upstairs to the computer.   LL~

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here