News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:13:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC and JMP Timer SETTINGS  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC and JMP Timer SETTINGS
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:46:16 AM »
HI ECL Flyers,

Several people have asked for my ESC and Timer settings. I thought it might be useful to post them here. As we all know, these settings are valid only if the SAME prop, and brand of equipment as mine is used. These settings will give you 5 sec. lap times and ALL the power you would ever need to fly the full pattern with approx 10 extra laps. (this extra time can be reduced after you feel comfortable with your ECL setup. :-)

These settings are the results of much experimentation (9 props and a lot of fiddling around, etc.) and a great deal of help from Will Moore, and my friends here on Robert's excellent forum. I have NOT changed these settings or the prop for the past 100+ flights. Every ECL flight has been as good, or better than, the best wet engine run I have seen at a contest.

If you use the same equipment as mine (AKA the ECL "STANDARD" package ;-), these settings will give you a very good start and almost guarantee a successful 1st ECL flight!  #^

EQUIPMENT:

PLANE ....Brodak  ARF  P-40  Take off weight (TOW) 57oz   (60 with ET test equip. on board)
LG ...... 1 1/4" longer than std. to clear 12 x 6 prop. and 5/32 size to carry extra wt.
ESC ..... Castle Creations 40A, with computer cable for setup .... VERSION:  V 1.55
TIMER.... JMP ... Excellent (still in stock, but out of production) will use KAZ timer in future.
PROP .... APC 12 x6 "E" prop. .... < $6,  but still best I found, even better than $65 CF props!
BATTERY .... TP 4S2P  14.8V  4,200 mAh and/or EVO (same) ... Flt. Temp 122 F
MOTOR ..... AXI 2826/10 ........ Level Flt. RPM 9,180 ...  Flt Temp 119 F
LINES ....... 62' Eye to Eye

ESC .... SETTINGS:

BASIC:

Cutoff Volts                       Brake Strength
Auto Li-Po                          20%

Cutoff Type                        Brake Delay
Soft Cutoff                          .6 sec (Delayed)

Throttle Type                      Brake Ramp
Heli Governor Hi                  Very Slow

Direction
Forward (or as needed)

ADVANCED:

Motor Start Po                     PWM Rate
Low (39)    39                       26 Khz

Throttle Respo                      Current Limiting
Low (2)     2                          Normal*

Motor Timing                       
Low Advance

Governor Gain                       Spool-Up Spe
Custom      3                         Custom     1 (or 2)

Use the Castle Creations computer connector cable to hook your ESC up to your home PC. This USB PC cable plugs into the small plug that comes out of your ESC (the same plug that goes into your JMP Timer). The program is very easy to use. The ESC comes with directions to set it up with an RC TX, just ignore these and use your CC USB PC cable to do it on your PC. :-)

JMP TIMER SETTINGS:

Motor run-up time  ................................  30 sec
Total motor run time .............................. 6 min 20 sec (this can be reduced to <6 min later)
Motor run-up speed ................................ 0 steps (this is while you walk to handle)
Motor first flight speed .............................17 steps (approx. 29% sweep of 90 degree servo)
                                                               18 steps OK, but a little fast, 4.9 lap times
Motor second speed ................................. Same as above
DATA ...................................................... Unlock, default, (DON"T touch this feature !!!!!)
Motor sag warning ...................................  ON, (masked in Gov mode, but it's still there)

PLEASE DO "NOT" SET YOUR TIMER WITH THE MOTOR! ...... Like Alan suggested, make a home made programmer. I use Will Moore's design. See pg 2 "JMP Test Unit Photo" in this section of the forum. The servo is under the red pointer (toothpick) and a small Ni Cad battery is under the compass rose, it is all inside the plastic box my AT servo came in. Servo cable plugs into the same timer pin connector that the ESC goes into (unplug ESC cable while programming JMP timer). Then plug the programmers small Ni Cad battery cable into the "Retract" pin connector in the JMP timer. ..... IMPORTANT: Keep polarity in mind when using these plugs, see JMP instructions. ..... TIP: After you set them up correctly, paint the male and female plug the same (I use nail polish) so it is easy to keep the correct polarity next time (use different colors for each "set" of plugs and it will make hook up easy every time you want to program your Timer. :-).

After using the JMP directions, and your home made programmer to setup your timer .... you can then test your setup by just pushing the button, and hold, until the pointer moves ( approx. 4 sec.) Then release the button. Using a stop watch, and looking at the pointer movements, you can see exactly how your flight will go.  #^

Please use a count down timer for your 1st flights. Set it to the same time as your timer. Remember, in Gov mode the warning blips are masked, and you may not get any warning. For your very 1st flight I would keep the overhead stuff to a minimum until your sure all your programing is correct. Don't ask me how I know about this?  n~

I hope this short note is helpfull to any newcomers to ECL.

Regards,   H^^
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:02:30 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
Re: ESC and JMP Timer SETTINGS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »
Hi Rudy,
Thanks for your data, this will for sure be very usefull for E/CL beginners.
Please confirm that with such a setting, you get no braking capability (Castle in Gov. mode)...
What is your ground prop RPM at flight speed 1?
I'm surprised with such a low (17 steps among 64) setting for the JMP...

Awaiting your comments, and Thanks again.
Thierry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
Thierry,
It is pretty typical to get such a low throttle setting (JMP-2 or Ztron) with the CC Phoenix ESC. As far as I understand, it is due to the fact that we want prop rpm's in the 9krpm range with typically 14 magnetic poles whereas the CC ESC governor is really a Electric Helicopter setup where they may be running lower # of magnets and the rotor gearing sets up a different motor rpm range (my guess is much higher motor rpm's).
And as you point out, there is no brake in Governor mode, even though the CC software lets you think you are enabling it (the CC Phoenix ESC documentation does say that brake is disabled in governor mode).

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
Alan, this is why I stopped using the CC products one year ago. The European judges did not agree with the windmill prop during the landing sequence..
Then I switched to the Jeti Spinn which is very user friendly with the Jeti Box. There, the JMP setting is around 45/47. I turn the Cam Prop 12.5 x 6 at 9400 RPM ground.
Now I'm making trials with the Schulze 18-46 F2B on a 5S pack, (the motor is a "AXI like" similar to 28/26/12 with a kV of 840), there the JMP setting is 43 to 46 steps in "Low RPM mode" or 9 to 12 steps in "high RPM". This results in#8000 ground RPM on a APC 13 x 6.5E (little more than 550 W)
Anybody having experience with that setting? I would appreciate!
Rgds, Thierry

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »
Hi Thierry,

Thank you for your kind words. Your correct, like Alan confirmed in his reply, we do not get a brake with the CC. I just put that in my settings notes so that a new ECL pilot had a setting to put into the "box" in the program and did not have to wonder if he was leaving something out! I think they are the leftover settings from my pre "enlightened" days, before I finally listened to Kim and went to gov mode.  (Thanks Kim! :-)

I know you FAI pilots have the "stop the prop" issue that we do not have to deal with, yet. Here in the USA I still recommend the CC ESC to new ECL pilots that are watching their model budgets because they can use their PC for easy programing. With that said, like you, I have switched over to the JetiSpin ESCs for my present, and all future projects because I like their program box and their added features. This is the same reason that I am going to the KAZ timers with his very cool program box that allows us to easily see EXACTLY where our power setting is when we set it. I should have mine flying next week, if our 75F WX holds. We don't fly here in the winter if it gets below 70F or the wind gets over 5 mph! (CA Wimps ;-)

RE: the low step setting. Alan is spot on in his explanation.

BTW: if anyone is flying in non-Gov mode and then switches to Gov mode without changing their step from about 48 down to the required 17, they will be in for a VERY exciting flight! The lap times will be around <3.8 sec, they will use 4,480 mAh out of their 4,200 mAh batteries, and their motor will be panting with it's tongue hanging out! But the combat flyers watching will be green with envy at your speed! Don't ask me how I know this?  LL~

RE: Flight Speed 1 ground RPM?
     Sorry, I do not have this ground info. I used my Eagle Tree on-board flight recorder to gather data for about 50 flights. My Flight Speed 1 RPM is 9,180 "IN FLIGHT" after lap 3. My setup slowly ramps up to this RPM during take off and for the 1st 3 laps making for a very slow, smooth, realistic Take Off and climb to level flight, then a smooth acceleration to full flight speed. I have not used a tac in awhile, relying instead on the flight data recorder.
      A side note, I was surprised that the RPM varied +/- approx. 300 during maneuvers, even in Gov mode. These are only momentary variations, and do not seem to have any negative affect on the flight. I think Alan, and others, have seen similar results on their graphs?

Regards,

Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:48:16 AM »
Rudy,
Yes I do see such variations, but sometimes I wonder how real they are. Here is a plot from last November from my ENobler after I switched to a 4s2100 battery (from 2 3s2100 in parallel). You can see the rpm fluctuations--what surprised me is that they don't seem to be correlated to the heavy maneuvers---just random almost (I should look at them in finer detail). What is a little funny is that the spread seems larger for the 4s battery than for the 3s battery. To let you recall, the only thing switched was the battery, so the ESC pulse widths must be narrower for the 4s than the 3s (to make the same rpm--everything else being equal).

added: I should note that I didn't notice anything "strange"in the flight--like surging or whatever. Also I am not sure how the EagleTree sensorless rpm probe presents the rpm data to the Eagletree recorder.

added again!: Another thing to remember is that 9000 rpm=150Hz, or the prop is making one revolution every 6.7milliseconds. If the governor is updating every tenth of a second (I have no idea what its bandwidth is---this is a CC secret!), that would mean that it is averaging over 15 revolutions to adjust the rpm. Now the ESC (like the Eagletree rpm sensor) is seeing pulses from the permanent magnets, and there are 14 magnets, so that would mean the governor is tracking how roughly 200 pulses are varying over time. 300 rpm out of 9000 is a 3% error (1/2 of the rpm distribution width). Maybe this is pretty good.

One reason I was interested in this was that I was curious about making a governor for a glow engine (they do exist for glow heli applications). However here you would even have more complicated issues since the angular velocity of the prop over a single cycle might vary quite a bit (compression, ignition, power stroke etc.) and making a good measurement and applying a throttle correction might be real tricky  HB~>. But I digress!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:11:47 AM »
 I realized that I do have data where I ran the motor statically===no load variations from bouncing about in the air. Here is a plot of that (it is the center plot). This was taken just as I was switching from two 3s2100mAHr in parallel to one 4s2100mAHr lipo.

The first plot is with prop, plane held statically (not flying) and the 3s cells. The center run was without prop but still with the 3s cells. Finally the last run was flying with the 4s battery.  Anyway the no-load run rpm has few fluctuations, but even the static run under considerable load (steady I think) shows fluctuations.

I am not positive what exactly it means!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »
Rudy,
You da man! thanks bud! And thanks to others weighing in on this topic. It can be a bit intimidating to try to guess where to start.Just what I was looking for. Now when I get my plane and my new hi zoot mount back I can have a good baseline to program too. Incidently, we are creating a mount for the AXI that will bolt into OS .40 and .46 setups straight away. At this time the thought is to mould them from composite materials so keep that in mind if you are thinking of converting. I am really anxious to get this bird in the air.
One question, I am getting a watt meter as well, what are you reading on for watts ? just a check to make sure I havent inadvertantly violated some poor electrons sensibilities you know? n~
Rudy,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
Not Rudy, but I bought an AstroFLite  "Super Whatt Meter" ---
http://www.astroflight.com/store/store-type-tem.html?item=products:af-101d&sid=0001hUtbTOBfq5Y4C41b6N5
There are others out there that are fancier and some that are simpler. I bought the Astro because I think it has a pretty good precision. It also helped that it was "made" here in the USA (a guilt trip after buying so much Chinese stuff!).

I also use the EagleTree Data logger both in the air and on the ground, but it seems to be off a little (a couple amps out of 20 for example). You can also get a clamp-on meter, but they really aren't any cheaper, and I am not sure of their accuracy either. But of course, 10% is really good enough for what we do. Consistency rather than absolute accuracy is the most important.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »
Hi Mark,

Always glad to help a friend. :-) I have to warn you, once you fly ECL it may be hard to go back to WCL ;-)

Like Alan, I have the AstroFlite watt meter.

Editorial: ...Warning, read at your own risk, May cause drowsiness!  D>K

But I am embarrassed to admit, I have never used my watt meter. I relied on my Eagle Tree data recorder to give me the info I needed to help me make setting changes during my experiments. This may not be the correct way to do it, but so far it has worked OK for me. You may be better off spending your $$ on another battery or a second charger.

BTW, at this point I don't think anyone starting in ECL even needs test equipment of any sort. Thanks to the many pioneers in ECL and the technical experts like Alan, enough testing has been done to get us to a level where a new ECL pilot can buy a "turnkey" system and get started with ZERO testing. As I stated in my 1st post, the ECL "Standard" system is already = to or better than any wet system for this size plane. And thanks to the pionerrs of ECL like Kim and others, we also have a "turnkey" system for the largest planes in CLPA that is also = to or better than any wet system available.

The system and settings in my 1st post have not been changed in over 100 perfect flights (the plane was flying perfectly, NOT the pilot! ;-). This setup will fly any plane near this size without any changes. I fully expect to make hundreds more flights without any changes. And I REALLY need the practice! So having a reliable, "no tinkering needed", system is a big help to a new CLPA flyer like me. :-)

Now, if you really like to "tinker" then have a go. But in your case Mark, I have no idea where you would find any extra time. Between building and finishing your beautiful planes (AKA works of Art!), flying, restoring classic cars, AND working for a living .... I would think you just might want to fly with a turnkey ECL system? .... But I could be wrong, it has happened before!  n~

I feel we need to get the word out to those interested in trying ECL that they do NOT need any extra equipment, those days are behind us.  IMHO, we will soon see preprogrammed Timers and ESCs for ECL. This will be a true "plug and play" system. Brodak made the 1st attempt at this. I think the next generation of P&P will move ECL forward and allow more CL flyers to enjoy the many advantages of ECL flying. ..... of course, opinions may vary.

End of editorial.

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
Watt! No Whatt Meter! :!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »
I'm with Alan.
You need an ammeter, just to make sure that you are not overstressing the system.

system test ... where prudence and cowardice meet!

best regards,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »
Well being who I am,, I will most certainly fly the beast the first time as prescribed. However I have a prop "fetixh" as it were especially for wood props. I cant see myself NOT experimenting some anyway. I have ordered a watt meter and will use it though I have everyconfindence that the system Rudy oultlines will function but,, well I just like having all the toys to ensure sucess or at least not failure. Is there a number I should be looking for on the ground ? how  many watts ? I understand every system is different but  a range perhaps.
thanks again,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Hi Mark,

We just can't help ourselves! Our passion often overwhelms logic!  :! 

I have the same affliction, as does Dean, Alan, and many others on this forum. We know better than to tinker with something that works OK, but our passion to experiment is high, and our will power to resist is low.   HB~>

Dean and Alan are correct, "IF" you plan on experimenting a lot then you do need proper test equipment. I was just trying to save you some time and money. There is enough tolerance in our "Standard" ECL system to tolerate normal prop experiments without any problems. But if you start making major changes, they are right, you could smoke something without bench testing 1st.  n1

If you do want to experiment a lot, then I highly recommend the Eagle Tree data recorder system. This will give you Amps, Watts, Volts, RPM, motor Temps, battery Temps, data for every second of your entire flight. This is the ultimate "TOOL" for those of us who can't control their urge to experiment!

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »
Rudy,
Unfortunately your logic fails at the "save you some time and money" statement!  n1

When it comes to ECL, there is a definite disconnect between the neurons and the wallet!

Yes, keep on saying "I am saving money on fuel,....saving money on fuel, .....saving money on fuel,...... Z@@ZZZ

You are now under the control of ECL. We control the horizontal, we control the vertical........

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
Hi Dean,

Please see my reply to Mark 1st. .... with that said:

EDITORIAL: ..... CAUTION, Please read at your own risk. May cause drowsiness.  D>K

I know that there is still room for a little more improvement in our ECL systems. But I feel we already have a great R&D group out there (You, Alan, Will, Kim, etc. etc.) that will continue to polish our already excellent ECL systems.

IMHO our ECL systems are mature enough for someone to buy an off the shelf, turnkey, ECL system without the need to change anything. (minor prop changes, no problem!) I don't think the average CL flyer converting to ECL needs any test equipment, or special "E" knowledge.

I get asked many questions about ECL when I fly at contests. I also hear many comments. I often hear people (non ECL flyers or spectators) say that ECL requires all kinds of expensive test equipment to even give it a try. I have even been told that anyone thinking of ECL should have at least an oscilloscope, etc.  ...... This is the kind of thinking that I would like to try and dispel.

If we are ever going to move ECL out of the "FOR ELECTONIC TECHIES ONLY" stage, and into the main stream of CL, then we need to recognize that we ALREADY have a solid, relatively mature, ECL system that is = to or better than the wet systems out there. It does "not" need any experimentation, or testing to work perfectly. Thanks to the RC world, we already have many years of fine tuning of the systems we are using. I assure you that almost none of my ERC buddies have any test equipment or special "E" knowledge, but they fly a lot of ERC and have fun doing it.

It is like any technology; there comes a time when you put a stake in the ground and say: "we have a good, workable, design, now lets start production and sell this thing!". We don't fold the R&D dept., but we make sure they work quietly in the "backround", and work on fine tuning the product. We do not tell the customers they have to become test engineers to use the product.   n1

If we told everyone buying a wet engine that they needed a lathe, a dyno, and metallurgy knowledge, before they could even think of flying with that engine we would have a VERY small group of "engine" guys flying CLPA!  LL~

My hope is that those of us who can't help experimenting, make it very clear to the many people out there reading our stuff with an interest in entering into flying ECL, that they do NOT need "any" test equipment, and they do not need to know the difference between a watt and a volt if they just want to fly with E power. There are a lot of very happy wet CLPA flyers out there that do not even know, or care, what the metallurgy is inside their engines (ABC, XYZ, etc. they don't care). They just want the engine to start and fly their plane. That is what "most" pilots want from their power system! 

There is no doubt that the 1st of the mainstream ECL group is made up of forward thinking modelers like Mark, and others. These people still like to experiment, but the next group that is out there getting ready to jump in are watching us closely. This is the group we need to start thinking of now. I don't mean to sound like we need to "sell" ECL to anybody, that is not my goal. I only want to see that we don't discourage anyone due to a misunderstanding as to what is really needed. :-)

Of course, I could be wrong. It has happened before! ;-)

Warm Regads,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 03:32:10 PM »
Rudy,
(with serious hat on) I don't really disagree with you. However I look at the Watt meter as the equivalent of a tach (need that too!). When its cost is less than 1/2 of a "Big-Boy" battery, I think it makes sense to have it to protect one's investment.

On the other hand, the EagleTree Data Recorder really is over the top for someone who just wants to fly.

But as you also know, wet-CL has its engine guru's, and I often get into arguments there too! I find electric motors a lot easier to understand though than a glow (or spark) engine. Hate to admit I have a lathe and mini-mill so I can produce my own $100 venturi's and spraybars. Now you can see where my illness comes from! n~

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
Gents,
vald points from both sides. At this time, I do plan on flying the setup as stated. However I am as I said a prop junkie, I probably have more money in props than I do engines, yep a sickness for sure. I intend to play with props and the watt meter is basically going to be a reference to make sure I dont fry a battery that costs three times as much as the meter. Ok so the other side is that I love "stuff" and tools. I respect Rudys aproach and do find merit in his thinking, I dont think the eagle tree system is needed for flying per se'. I will most likely get one eventually  but more because the dynamics of what happens to our planes as we exert them in the pattern fascinates me. I want to protect my investment in batteries so hence the watt meter but Rudy is probably right that if you use his setup verbatum, you would be ok without it. Until I actually get air under my first foray into ECL I cant state a perspective. Thanks for the input guys,,
please though, I would like to know what numbers I should be checkign for on the watt meter. I just want to verify that I got my settings close before commiting the system to air. I do the same with  my wet engines, verify what i have on the ground before I set them free so to speak. Once they are airborne, you cant stop or fix it.
anyway, I need to sleep now, been a long week. I look forward to more input.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »
Hi Alan,

Well said. .... I too share your illness. I am fearful that there is no cure for us?

On a lighter note, Maybe we should introduce ECL to the world with the headline:

Techies welcome to ECL, many fun "Techie Tools" to play with, ...... Normal, well adjusted personalities, also welcome to ECL, Techie tools optional!  LL~

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 11:02:27 PM »
Mark,

I am still very new to ECL but have been in CL for over 30 years. I also like to have an idea of what is going on before getting in the air. One of the tools that the group has recommended is the clamp-on amp meter. I bought a Sears mid price model. One thing I needed to find out was how to measure the current with this tool. Mike P and I corresponded about it and he told me that you need to measure on one of the battery leads. Problem was I did a very neat tight wiring job in my test ship and isolating enough battery lead to clamp around was a problem. I built a jumper with an extra loop for one lead so I can get the tool in proper position . Attached is a picture.

Best,          Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here