News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:09:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ENobler Arming Plug setup  (Read 1326 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
ENobler Arming Plug setup
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
As I mentioned on another post, I just updated my ENobler with an arming plug. This is actually very similar to what I had last fall when I first started flying the ENobler--but at that time I was running 2 3s2100 packs, with one pack sliding over the wing, and the other pack in the fuel tank area. With that setup there was plenty of space to put the arming switch in.

When I went to a single 4s2100 pack, now in the fuel compartment only, it got pretty crowded, so I left the arming switch out so I could easily get the battery pack in and out. However that was a pain to do because at a contest I had to plug the battery in just before moving out to the circle, and then put on the hatch. Also I couldn't unplug the battery until I removed the plane back to the pits.

So when I had to fix my weak motor mounts again(!), I decided to bite the bullet and figure out a way to shoehorn in the arming plug. Here's what I did.

I decided to cut the Red ESC to Dean's Ultra COnnector (the one that plugs into the battery) and splice in a Female Dean's Ultra Connector. When a Male Dean's Ultra is plugged in, it completes the circuit from the battery to the ESC and the ESC gets power. The Female Dean's that was spliced in was mounted on a small piece of plywood (I cut out an opening that fit the shape of the Dean's). The Deans and plywood were then epoxied into the fuse--I tried to have the Deans as pushed as far as I could so that it only had minimal protrusion in the tank (now a battery) compartment.

Now the problem with this basic setup was that it was impossible to remove the ESC since it would have been solidly attached to the fuse. So I then cut the two ESC wires to splice in two bullet connectors, so that I could unplug the ESC when I wanted to reprogram it (like I am going to do now!).

Here are 3 pictures which probably explain it better than my words. The battery goes in without much effort. You can see how the battery is held in with the two Velcro straps. So far with more than 50 flights, the battery has never come loose.

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here