News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Discharge Rate for Storage Charge Mode HiTEC X4 ?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Tim Stagg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Discharge Rate for Storage Charge Mode HiTEC X4 ?
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
Guys,

What discharge rate should I use on my charger when I use the storage mode on my HiTEC X4 AC charger?? I can select from .1 amps to 1 amp??

I am discharging 4s 2600 and 3300 mah packs to storage voltage.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Stagg

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: Discharge Rate for Storage Charge Mode HiTEC X4 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
Chargers are in general poor dischargers, in that they have low rates.  Use any of the allowable rates to fit your convenience.  I use the fastest, but if you set it to storage and it stops when done, then any rate works without your further input.

Fred

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »
Tim,
I have the same charger, and close to same battery capacity, I use 1 amp . Still takes a long tome if fully chargesd, I try  to use the discharge as little as possable,
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »
     I have discharged into a parallel bank of 12v auto bulbs (#1156) as they were on the shelf.  But it requires sitting and watching the voltage.  So went to running the motor on the ground, with the prop fully stalled, for 3 minutes.  This gets the voltage within a bit of the exact discharge spec.  Quick, too.  Is this an acceptable stopgap, or a really terrible idea?

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »
Power and heat dissipation are a problem, such as the light bulbs.  And then the cutoff point.  Cutoff voltage can be timed fairly well if proper attention is paid.  I carry a smart phone with a timer running and pay attention.  I prefer to stay in the room with the equipment while timing.

Running for long with the flight setup can heat ESC and motor as airflow is diminished, and amp draw may be up.  It works with caution, but I would not wish to do several batteries that way.

You might look at the Battery Discharger thread as it is similar other that the specific question about your charger.
Fred

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 06:29:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, just trying to be nice to my batteries for a change. I have to admit I have not treated my batteries well in the past, I bought some new ones for this season so I thought I would turn a new leaf  ??? ??? ???

Maybe I will just charge them to storage mode after flying and not bother discharging....sounds like more trouble then its worth.

Thanks again
Tim Stagg

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:33:48 PM »
The best money that you can spend in electric flying is a top quality charger/discharger.. Do not buy one that is just adequate for your needs now or you will have to just buy another one when you move on to bigger or better. I bought a Lab 8 and 24V power supply and that was before I flew my first electric C/L model. Not everyone can or should do that right off but I was able to and did. It has paid huge dividends since.
It charges and discharges and does so while balancing up to 6 cells and so far I haven't felt and excess heat from any of them on the charging table. The batteries have a fair amount of cycles and as a new convert to electric I fully do expect to get my few hundred cycles for my packs..

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here