News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Emax 2826/6  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Robertc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Emax 2826/6
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
I saw this motor on Ebay as a drop replacement for the Axi 2826/10.   At 34.99 with the prop adapter, mount and free shipping, I couldn't resist.  Made in China.  Received it yesterday.  At first glance, it doesn't look as nice as the AXI, but this is not a beauty contest.  Anyone know anything about these?

Alan Hahn

Re: Emax 2826/6
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:20:41 PM »
Robert,
Sounding like from your other post, you are an "expert". All I can say is to try it out on your plane instead of the AXI that's already there.

For the most part, it is hard to screw up these motors (but it can be done!), so maybe it will be a little less efficient than the AXI, but it sounds like you have plenty of battery already.

If you are using a governor already, and if the number of magnets in this cheapie is the same as the AXI, then it really is "plug and play". As long as the kV is in the same ballpark as your AXI 2826/10 then you would be ok. One way to check is to run both motors with a very low load (I have made a plywood disk ~1.5" diameter that you color with a black magic marker  to give 2 dark sectors and 2 white sectors. This you can measure the rpm with a tach at wide open throttle. kV is basically the rpm/battery voltage. You do need to run the throttle full open to make sense of this measurement. I include a photo before of my test stand.

What I would look at is how much you have to put back into the battery compared to the AXI. I assume you will need a bit more than before.

I am also guessing the bearings are crummier than the AXI, so they may not last as long as the ones on the AXI.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
I saw this motor on Ebay as a drop replacement for the Axi 2826/10.   At 34.99 with the prop adapter, mount and free shipping, I couldn't resist.  Made in China.  Received it yesterday.  At first glance, it doesn't look as nice as the AXI, but this is not a beauty contest.  Anyone know anything about these?

Do you have a link to the seller/store?  When I searched Ebay for these, I didn't really find the exact same thing you found - I'd like to watch the store you used if more should appear.

Thanks
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »
Robert,

Interesting motor here is their web site for other size:   http://www.yinyanmodel.com/BLUESKY.htm   the EMAX2820 920Kv looks interesting for a "35" size ship, weights 5oz.

Best,         Dennis

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
The item number on ebay is  140291818896   

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
I think it is interesting to see new motors showing up.  I think a lot of these are coming out of the same factories with different sellers - this motor looks like one of the motors listed on the HobbyCity.com site under a different name.  I also have no real quarrel with Alan's comments, the proof wil be in the flying.  However the only motors I ever heard of "lunching" bearings are Axi's!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
I think it is interesting to see new motors showing up.  I think a lot of these are coming out of the same factories with different sellers - this motor looks like one of the motors listed on the HobbyCity.com site under a different name.  I also have no real quarrel with Alan's comments, the proof wil be in the flying.  However the only motors I ever heard of "lunching" bearings are Axi's!

Well I make my comments on bearings basically from the prejudice that when something is really cheap, they have to scrimp on something. Of course I am assuming the corollary: that 'premium' prices imply that the components are first rate.

This isn't always the case for sure, and I may indeed be wrong.

My path has always been the middle one--neither premium, nor dirt cheap. Personally I think it is the most cost effective. That's why I chose Scorpion Motors, FMA batteries, and CC ESC's (there are more expensive ESC's out there!). My current price for the plane setup (1 battery) is $216=$69+$62.25+$85 respectively.

I do have some cheapie motors--I have one on my Super Clown and I am curious to try it out. It certainly has its issues.

But my main comment was meant to be---we are not stressing the motors in our application at all.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
Roger that Alan

I think the one part we MIGHT be stressing the most is the bearings.  I guess some motors have 2, some have 3.  ANother angle, I am noticing that motors in the sizes we are using might have 4mm shafts some hav 5mm.  I suppose the larger motors are using 6mm.  The shaft size wi=ould lead to larger size bearings with (presumably, and that is a dangerous word!) higher load capabilities.

The HobbyCity site shows a TowerPro motor that LOOKS like the one RobertC posted, and the HobbyCity version uses a 5mm shaft.

BTW I know you have done this before, but could you post the link to the Scorpion site again?  I agree those are DARNED GOOD looking motors!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
Thanx Crist!  This time I actually remembered to SAVE it to my favorites (smart huh???)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:38 PM »
temporary hijack in progress
Is there any particular reason that no one seems interested in the Hacker line of motors? The RC guys that fly electric seem to feel they are significantly more robust that the "standard" Axi motors for about the same cost.
I have two Hacker A30 motors that I will be campainging next year assuming I get the plane built to fly them with ,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:01:46 PM »
Is there any particular reason that no one seems interested in the Hacker line of motors? The RC guys that fly electric seem to feel they are significantly more robust that the "standard" Axi motors for about the same cost.....<snip>

No. I am guessing that there are not a lot of "us" ---yet, and at this stage a lot of things are unfamiliar and it is easier to follow what works.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
Is there any particular reason that no one seems interested in the Hacker line of motors? The RC guys that fly electric seem to feel they are significantly more robust that the "standard" Axi motors for about the same cost.
I have two Hacker A30 motors that I will be campainging next year assuming I get the plane built to fly them with ,

OK Mark, whilst I'm trolling for links - got any to a Hacker motor site?  Frankly I have NO IDEA what they have to offer but know they have a lot of fans...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:38 PM »
sure thing,, try these

http://www.hackerbrushless.com/

this is the series I am working with,, the A30 - XL

http://www.aero-model.com/motordetails.aspx?series=A30&style=XL

My friend who writes for an RC magazine, Rob Smith tells me that in all his testing, they are very underrated. In other words, lots of headroom. My first experiement will be with the 8XL, 1100 Kv, i plan on running something in the range of a 12x4 or 12x4.5 prop, turning about 10500. I have a source for some very promising wood props in this range specially made for electric. CNC milled, with a beautifull gloss finish on them. I have an assortment on hand now, just waiting for an oppurtunity to try them out. they are called XOAR, I got mine from Esprit models.
heres all the props,
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=xoar&btnSearch=GO&Page=1
and the electrics,,
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6388

The magazine I read in them about did a head to head test with several other props, including the APC electrics, it outperformed all of them on all facets, efficiency, thrust, vertical acceleratino, and several other observations too.
I am pretty high on them now, well mabye only till I fly them grin, but no flying for a few more months.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »
sure thing,, try these

http://www.hackerbrushless.com/

this is the series I am working with,, the A30 - XL

http://www.aero-model.com/motordetails.aspx?series=A30&style=XL

My friend who writes for an RC magazine, Rob Smith tells me that in all his testing, they are very underrated. In other words, lots of headroom. My first experiement will be with the 8XL, 1100 Kv, i plan on running something in the range of a 12x4 or 12x4.5 prop, turning about 10500. I have a source for some very promising wood props in this range specially made for electric. CNC milled, with a beautifull gloss finish on them. I have an assortment on hand now, just waiting for an oppurtunity to try them out. they are called XOAR, I got mine from Esprit models.
heres all the props,
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=xoar&btnSearch=GO&Page=1
and the electrics,,
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6388

The magazine I read in them about did a head to head test with several other props, including the APC electrics, it outperformed all of them on all facets, efficiency, thrust, vertical acceleratino, and several other observations too.
I am pretty high on them now, well mabye only till I fly them grin, but no flying for a few more months.

Did they actually test them at our flying speeds (30-60mph)?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 08:38:31 AM »
The testing was basically from what I could tell, over a complete range of performance, The airplane was a 3D biplane if I recall correctly and It did not sound like they were going mach one or anything, but, I got enough out of the article that I am very excited to do some comparisons myself. As you can imagine, its hard to get good in flight thrust data, speed, current draw ans such is no big deal with a data recorder, but quantifying the vertical performance is a bit more dicey.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
Since we have collectively and completly hijacked RobertC's thread (SORRY!), the Cermak ad, p 3 of the new MA shows the "Wicked" electric props, I have not seen these before...

Ultimately there is only one prop test that really matters... the WIIFM kind!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »
Since we have collectively and completly hijacked RobertC's thread (SORRY!), the Cermak ad, p 3 of the new MA shows the "Wicked" electric props, I have not seen these before...

Ultimately there is only one prop test that really matters... the WIIFM kind!

I guess we have.

Like I mentioned, changing motors is relatively straight forward except for the mounting holes of course. But changing props for a test is somewhat painful, mainly because now you need to zero your comfort zone back into range---as we all know the manufacturer's pitch numbers are only ballpark. So by the time you have done all this work, you have tended to forget how the plane flew before with the original prop. In addition, to make it worse, the weather probably changed, the winds are calm (or blowing..), and quite frankly the pilot's ability is not rock solid either HB~>--talking about myself now!. So I am saying that it is difficult to really discern small effects between props (big ones yes). That's why I never spent any effort on the CW props as opposed the normal CCW prop. When the two didn't give the same lap speed it just seemed like too much trouble.

So we aren't too far off Robert's thread about how different items perform!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here