News:

• March 06, 2021, 06:42:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrified Ringmaster S-1  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Electrified Ringmaster S-1
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »
Ok, progress today got the rest of the checkerboard. First cleaned off the WD40 with denature alcohol followed by a second cleaning with degreaser. I used the 3M pink tape over the newly painted checks. I used a thin brushed to put clear on the edge. It came out pretty good, not perfect but for a Ringmaster its ok.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
The ship is now complete but I am waiting on a new HobbyStar 2814 - 950kV motor. This will be about 2.5 ish oz. lighter then the HobbyStar 2820 -1000kV and similar to what others are using in Ringmasters. I received the TP 5S 1350mah battery packs and this should save another 2.5oz over the 4S  22000mah. All up I expect to be around the 31 oz. mark ready to fly. One thing I added was a strip of clear vinyl over the first open bay next to the battery area. This is to protect the silkspan from a battery lead smacking against it and popping through. Hope the motor gets here around Christmas week and I should be able to start test flights.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
Got the new Hyperion 4mm Xl adapter that Will DeMauro recommended, it fits perfect with the Great Planes 1 3/4" electric spinner and APC 9x6 prop. It gives enough space from the backplate and is all the way into the collet shaft. Also got the Thunder power 5S   1350mah pack. It is 1 1/4oz lighter than the 4S  2200 I was originally planning, it is a bit shorter than the 2200 pack and fits the battery pocket better than the 2200 (shear luck, but as they say better to be lucky than good any day). It gives an inch or so to move the battery fore or aft to trim the CG. Next need to smoke test the system on the 5S. Have already done a test run on 4S so got the motor rotation correct and all the wire joints worked fine.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:58:30 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2021, 11:20:54 AM »
The ship is complete and I thought ready to go but when I put the ship on the storage rake in the shop I got a look at the wing trailing edge and saw the outboard wing had a warp. I had just completed all the ground checks and the 5S  1350 mah TP pack worked great with the HoppyStar 2814   920 kV motor. I have the CC ESC set for fixed rpm of 11K (this is the minimum the ESC will go in governing mode) in control line mode with all the settings on medium. I found a RC Timer carbon fiber 10x5 prop that give a ground amp load of 16 which should be around 14 or less in the air. That was a gold to make the 5 minute flight time with the 1350 mah capacity.

So finding the warp I set up a jig and weights and set the ship in place, did the heat, soak, heat again and put it in place with the weights on the trailing edge. It has a little twist past the point of straight. I will be re-heating a few time over a couple days and hopefully this will get the wing straight, if not I will add a tab.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
OK today was first flight day. The heat seemed to get the warp under control. I used the RC Timer CF 10x5 pusher set at 11K. This prop gives a ground load of 16 amps which should give something less the 14 in the air. Ok, the rain has gone and its in the 60's temperature wise.

Setup, switch on, spin-up and off we go. Smooth take-off but lap time was slow at 5.5 balance pretty closed. Controls seemed very good not touchy and very controllable.

Next will work on getting the lap time up by going to an APC 9x5 prop with a little more blade area and the 9" diameter to keep the load down.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2021, 06:20:43 PM »
Today I finally got the lap time to 4.9 sec, with a 9x6 APCE depitched to 5.5, with the 11K rpm. So far the use of the 5S  1350mah pack with the 2814  910kV HobbyStar motor has worked well now that I have the right prop. Next, will add flight time and sneak up on the full flight time of 4m 50sec for OTS and keep a check on motor and ESC temperature.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »
After a few short test flight with the lighter battery and motor the ship I feel the ship is a tad tail heavy. I hate to add weight so I started looking to see where I could remove weight from the tail and move the battery forward. I was able to reduce the tail horn weight a bit (it is a very large 1/4 scale RC horn that gave lots of height to slow the controls) next reduce the tail skid hardware a bit. This helped but I needed more. I thought about a different motor that would be low kV and weight about 1/4 oz more as one option. Then looked at the battery location. I had originally thought I was going to use a 4S  2200mah pack with a 5 1/2oz motor. This battery is about 3 1/4" long. The battery box was set up for this. When I switched to the lighter motor (3oz) and 5S  1350mah pack I saved a total of 3oz but this shifted that CG back a bit. It was close but still needs to move forward about 3/8 to 3/4". Looking at the available room I could see a chance to hang part of the battery over the leading edge and still secure it solidly it I added a plate to add a forward strap. Doing this now gives me enough movement to fine tune the CG.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »
Today I got in a few test flights with the forward battery and trim wedge. The forward battery got the CG moved to 1 3/4" back from the leading edge. The trim wedge worked well but it needs a little more thickness as once I flipped it over in a lazy eight it got a bit soft. The wedge is like a trim tab but is simply a section of trailing edge stock turned around and put on the bottom of the wing panel that needs lift. I first saw this used on gliders and it is very neat way of doing this.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2021, 07:04:57 PM »
Good news - Bad news. The good news - the new wedge flattened the wings so should be good to go. Bad news is the 5S  1350mah isn't big enough. I did a test flight for 2 and 1/2 min. figuring that this would give a current draw down for half a flight (OTS). Well it drew 725 mah which is about 150mah to much, but the motor and battery were only warm to the touch. So I'm going to have to go to the larger 4S   2200mah thunder power pack. I have looked at 1800mah packs but they are the same weight as the Thunder Power ProLite 2200mah packs that I already have.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »
Well my rescue Ringmaster has just become the "6 Million Dollar" Ringmaster. Was out doing a feel out flight and doing quit well. Finally got the pitch (10x6.7) right to get the lap time at 4.6. All felt good, wings were level, new BadAss 2320  820kV with a 5S  1350mah pack. Then it happened. While performing a vertical 8 the upper outside loop was a bit big and I felt there wasn't enough air to complete the inside, so I held the down climbed a bit then went to complete bottom loop and boom! I got a little up wind and a gust hit it in just as it got to the 5 o'clock point and lost tension and boom.

That was the bad news, fortunately the damage was mostly to the fuse. All the rest of parts were easy to fix, one little tear in one panel of the wing. So I can rebuilt it better!!! After looking at the fuse I decided I would need to build a new one. Turns out this part was really heavy at 5+ oz. So the goal is to drop at least 4 oz off the old 36oz flying weight. The new fuse is cut out and getting ready to do the motor mount which will be a lot lighter then the old IC conversion.

Also steamed out the twist in the outside wing. I had tried using a heat gun but that didn't work. Today I used a simple old tea kettle with steam out the spout. I did the steam think and jigged it up. I had it weighted for 5 hrs and needed to move to a new location, DAM it worked!! I didn't think it would do anything that the heat gun didn't do but I was WRONG, steam works, don't really know why but it does.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2021, 06:35:08 AM »
The 6MM$ Ringmaster rebuild is moving along. One thing I found while going through the salvaged parts was that the elevator had a limited amount of what would have been down elevator caused by its leading edge shape against the stab trailing edge. The edges were both square in a few spots. This just stop the elevator from going to full down and could have contributed to the poor outside loop size that lead to the crash. This has been corrected.

Next step will be to finish the lighting holes in the core of the fuse. By removing the extra tail weight the balance should be better with the smaller BadAss 2320 motor and also allow the battery to be positioned a little further back in the battery box.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:41 AM »
DAM it worked!! I didn't think it would do anything that the heat gun didn't do but I was WRONG, steam works, don't really know why but it does.
 Best,   DennisT
Relaxes the grain in the balsa.  When it dries it will stay where it was wet.  Just like molding stays molded.  We used to call that taking the "Girr Out".

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke, don't fix it.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags: