News:

• January 15, 2021, 03:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrified Ringmaster S-1  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Electrified Ringmaster S-1
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »
Ok, progress today got the rest of the checkerboard. First cleaned off the WD40 with denature alcohol followed by a second cleaning with degreaser. I used the 3M pink tape over the newly painted checks. I used a thin brushed to put clear on the edge. It came out pretty good, not perfect but for a Ringmaster its ok.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:30 AM »
The ship is now complete but I am waiting on a new HobbyStar 2814 - 950kV motor. This will be about 2.5 ish oz. lighter then the HobbyStar 2820 -1000kV and similar to what others are using in Ringmasters. I received the TP 5S 1350mah battery packs and this should save another 2.5oz over the 4S  22000mah. All up I expect to be around the 31 oz. mark ready to fly. One thing I added was a strip of clear vinyl over the first open bay next to the battery area. This is to protect the silkspan from a battery lead smacking against it and popping through. Hope the motor gets here around Christmas week and I should be able to start test flights.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
Got the new Hyperion 4mm Xl adapter the Will DeMauro recommended and it fits perfect with the Great Planes 1 3/4" electric spinner and APC 9x6 prop. It gives enough space from the backplate and is all the way into the collet shaft. Also got the Thunder power 5S   1350mah pack. It is 1 1/4oz lighter than the 4S  2200 I was originally planning, it is a bit shorter than the 2200 pack and fits the battery pocket better than the 2200 (shear luck, but as they say better to be lucky than good any day). It gives an inch or so to move the battery fore or aft to trim the CG. Next need to smoke test the system on the 5S. Have already done a test run on 4S so got the motor rotation correct and all the wire joints worked fine.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2021, 11:20:54 AM »
The ship is complete and I thought ready to go but when I put the ship on the storage rake in the shop I got a look at the wing trailing edge and saw the outboard wing had a warp. I had just completed all the ground checks and the 5S  1350 mah TP pack worked great with the HoppyStar 2814   920 kV motor. I have the CC ESC set for fixed rpm of 11K (this is the minimum the ESC will go in governing mode) in control line mode with all the settings on medium. I found a RC Timer carbon fiber 10x5 prop that give a ground amp load of 16 which should be around 14 or less in the air. That was a gold to make the 5 minute flight time with the 1350 mah capacity.

So finding the warp I set up a jig and weights and set the ship in place, did the heat, soak, heat again and put it in place with the weights on the trailing edge. It has a little twist past the point of straight. I will be re-heating a few time over a couple days and hopefully this will get the wing straight, if not I will add a tab.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
OK today was first flight day. The heat seemed to get the warp under control. I used the RC Timer CF 10x5 pusher set at 11K. This prop gives a ground load of 16 amps which should give something less the 14 in the air. Ok, the rain has gone and its in the 60's temperature wise.

Setup, switch on, spin-up and off we go. Smooth take-off but lap time was slow at 5.5 balance pretty closed. Controls seemed very good not touchy and very controllable.

Next will work on getting the lap time up by going to an APC 9x5 prop with a little more blade area and the 9" diameter to keep the load down.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: