News:

• June 01, 2024, 12:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrics at the 2011 Ringmaster Roundup  (Read 466 times)

Offline John Cralley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electrics at the 2011 Ringmaster Roundup
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Last weekend was the 5th Annual Ringmaster Roundup at George Bush Park in Houston, TX. The competition is restricted to the S-1 version of the Matt Kania 1950 Sterling Ringmaster. Saturday competition is in Old Time and PAMPA stunt. Sunday is a fun event dubbed Team Stunt. Teams of 4 or 5 fliers are chosen by the top fliers from the Saturday events. The team events are Old Time Stunt, PAMPA Stunt and Unknown Stunt. One member of each Team flies one of these events. Unknown Stunt, by the way, consists of a set of maneuvers which is handed out shortly before the flights take place. Some of the Unknown maneuvers are tough if not impossible (square overhead four leaf clover for instance). The final team event is Pursuit Combat. This competition has two S-1 Ringmasters with tail streamers and one is designated the "drone." The "drone" flier must try to fly straight and level while the pursuit plane tries to make as many cuts as possible in 5 minutes. The pursuit pilot may also cut his own tail streamer by dropping in front of the "drone."

I showed up with four electric Ringmasters, 3 S-1s and a Pat King Ringmaster 150 (a kit that he has for sale). No awards for my flying of my electrics but I did get to fly "drone" on Dale Gleason's team! Teammate Don Cranfill made 8 cuts from my "drone" and his pursuit plane to lock up first place in the team event!  ;D

The highlight for me was that my S-1 electric Ringmasters were voted the Pilot's Choice for S-1s!  #^ H^^

Here are a couple of photos. By the way, that is expert pilot Joe Gilbert standing behind me with his "Master of the Ring" award for having the highest score overall. I believe that Joe has won that award for all five years that the Ringmaster Roundup has been held.

This is a really fun event and anyone within striking distance of Houston, TX and with an S-1 Ringmaster should try to attend next year.  y1 y1
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:20:30 AM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Electrics at the 2011 Ringmaster Roundup
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
I have a beat up Ringmaster that could benfit from electric power.  What is your setup on the two shipes pictured?  How does it compare to say an Max FP 25?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Electrics at the 2011 Ringmaster Roundup
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
John,

I think that in the right hands my setup would be equal to the FP 25.

Here is my setup which has evolved somewhat from what I list under "List Your Setup" at the head of this forum.

The two S-1s in the photo:
One is an RSM Old Time Legal S-1 kit build. 32 oz. (white)
One is scratch built (using RSM S-1 Old Time Legal plans as a guide). 28.5 oz. (transparent red)

42" span
383 Sq area

Scratch built has a Scorpion SII-3014-1050KV
Castle Creations Phoenix 45 ESC (Using Control Line set RPM Governor mode.)
Rhino 4S 1750 20C or Zippy Flightmax 4S 2200 20C Battery
Will Hubin timer FM-2X (custom for CC ESC using Control Line Governor mode set RPM)
(Will now has this timer called FM-2SR at $15)
APC 11-5.5 electric pusher
60' lines (eye to eye).

RSM Old Time Legal kit built is the same as above except:
Scorpion 3014-22 motor 892 KV (The Scorpion Company has replaced this motor with the "new" Scorpion SII-3014-830KV)

I now have the Will Hubin FM-9 timer and programmer set which I will use to replace the above timers.

John Hammonds’ from the UK has an electric S-1 Ringmaster.
Here is his setup which he says flies quite well:

Weight        29oz
Lines         55' 0.012
Battery       3s 2300
Motor         EMAX BL2815/09 1100kv
ESC           CC35 Phoenix
Timer         JMP2
Prop          APC E 10*5
RPM           9900
Flight Time   330s
Mah Used      1670-1720

Hope this helps.