News:

• April 20, 2024, 01:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrics at Golden State Stunt Championships Report  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electrics at Golden State Stunt Championships Report
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
Guys,
Anyone have a summary of the electrics at the Golden State Stunt Championships? I understand that Paul W flew and took 1st but there was another flyer that was using a new battery type, any information?

Best,           DennisT

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
Re: Electrics at Golden State Stunt Championships Report
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
Erik Rogers & Elroy was there..And I think Bob Duncan with his twin-Imitation also #^
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
Hi Dennis,

In addition to Larry's report,

Yes, Paul won all the marbles with his new Plettenberg powered electric plane. Eric took 4th against some tough competition in Advanced. Ron and Gary Anderson did very well too with their electric entries.

I did not hear about any "new" type of batteries other than the use of the relatively new chemistry/manufacturing in the hi-charge rate batteries we have been using this year. Like the 2010 Hyperion and Thunder Power batteries. We can now safely charge them at 5C rates.

If there were any "newer/better" batteries out there I'm sure Paul, Kim, I, and Eric would be using them and you all would have heard about them by now.  n~

Paul's win is very good for ECL. The combination of his extremely high level of talent and the many benefits of E power make for a winning combination. I'm sure Paul would still be at the top using one of Randy's excellent PA/pipe wet systems but his E system proves that it is also up to the task!  8)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
I'm sorry you weren't there to take some marbles yourself. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
Rudy,
Thanks for the report. I heard that the wind was very high and that a number of flyer's decided not to fly. Since Paul won I assume his ECL got through it as good or better then the Wet guys or did he get the luck of the draw and fly before the wind came up?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
I heard that the wind was very high and that a number of flyer's decided not to fly. Since Paul won I assume his ECL got through it as good or better then the Wet guys or did he get the luck of the draw and fly before the wind came up?

Best,        DennisT
[/quote]

Don't make that assumption. The wind was there for flier #1 of the day. I flew right after David in the first round.  I think he was 4th and I was 5th in the order. We got the same air. I was last in the second round, but by then I didn't need to fly....But I did any way.  Went up all of 2 points!

Phil Granderson flew Elroy. He was using some of the "cheap" batteries. I believe he told me they were $25 apiece.  I think they were 4S 2600's . I don't remember the manufacturer. They weighed just under 10 ounces. Not too bad.

Paul W

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
Hi Dennis T,

I was not at the contest this year because my skin is too thin. But because Bob Hunt gives me a huge $$$$ budget for my small Electric column in PAMPA SN I was able to hire three excellent, but very expensive, reporters to give me photos and a report on this contest! The answers I give you are with the help of my outstanding reporting staff:

At the top: E = Wet in the wind

As Paul said, the air was the same for all. I have seen Paul and Dave fly back to back before. Dave's wet system is very very close to a perfect stunt run every time. The same can be said for Paul's electric system. At this "top of the mountain" level of CLPA I don't think our E power has any large performance advantage over one of Randy's beautiful PA/Pipe wet setups in the hands of an expert like Dave. Both of these power systems seem to handle the wind equally well in the hands of these top figure drawing artists. Since Paul has flown both systems at the top, it would be interesting to hear if there is much difference to him between the two systems in the wind.

PTG tells me that his new E plane is the best plane he has ever flown and that it handled the wind quite well. He is very close to the top of the mountain, so he is a good example of someone who could tell any difference between the two systems. He, like Paul, has stated that the repeatability and reliability are the largest advantages to them in CLPA. On paper it looks like the E system would have a slight advantage in the wind because it can hold the RPM even in a strong gust up high. BUT, Dave's very high power to weight ratio PA wet system looks like it is always loafing along with no sags, just like the E systems do.

The top wet flyers have really mastered their power systems and they seldom have any big problems. But I feel that the real advantage of E power in the wind comes in the A,I,B classes. Here there is still a variance from flight to flight with wet systems, sometimes a  BIG difference. As we all know, this "less than good engine run" problem can be deadly in the wind. I think this is where E power does often have a performance advantage because you always have a perfect stunt run just when you need it most, up high in the wind. ;-)

RE: Cheap batteries

PTG told me he wanted to experiment with different battery sizes so he used cheap batteries so he could buy many different sizes and weights. He gets about 20 cycles from each before they drop off in power and can't be used in CLPA anymore. He has found that he will have to go up a little in mAh (and weight) to have enough overhead and long life for his system. His plane is very light (it is important to note that both Paul and Phil fill their wings and fuse with Helium, this is why their planes are lighter than the rest of us can build ;-), and he uses a thin, but good lift, airfoil and a low plate and parasitic drag airframe, and very short flight time setting. This results in less energy required to complete the mission. Phil is a talented designer and builder, it would be very difficult for us mere mortals to duplicate his magic creations!

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »
Paul and Rudy,

Thanks for the report, I wanted to get the straight story. I think that the back to back flights speaks well for the ECL's, wind is wind and we get through it as good as the best of the Wet set ups - go Paul. Some flyer's have the impression that the ECL's are lower in power because we launch once the motor starts to spin up, not at full power. Some flyer's also only see what they want and will never give the ECL's a try, if they did they might be supprised and like it (it's like talking to the enemy and finding out they are human also).

Best,             DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: contest 

Advertise Here