News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:46:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrics Are Taking Over  (Read 878 times)

Offline Dean Pappas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Electrics Are Taking Over
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:41 PM »
Hi Gang,
Did you notice that many time NATs (and Worlds for that matter) Champ Curtis Youngblood won the NATs Helicopter event with E-power? That's all three Precision Aerobatics events at this NATs!

takecare,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: Electrics Are Taking Over
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:58 PM »
Hi Dean,
   I noticed and I got to watch some of the flights. When talking with some of Youngbloods friends, they said one big advantage electric has is a much better accuracy when doing hovering maneuvers. 

The same will eventually happen in C/L Precision Aerobatics, it will just take a lot longer. The pro's far out weight the con's at this point and there is no end in sight.

Mike

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:26:34 AM »
(snip) That's all three Precision Aerobatics events at this NATs!

Dean P.

Dean: what are the three PA classes that were won by electric???

I agree with Mike, but was surprised that there was only 1(?) E-powered bird in Expert CLPA?  How many overall?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:25:12 AM »
Hi Dennis,
Both FAI and Masters Pattern were won with electric.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »
Electric power offers one thing that we have been looking for for a long time.  No worry about the power system and more attention to flying.  As long as the proper power-system is chosen with good support equipment, the pilot has all the pressure insted of the pit crew. 

I will miss the sound of a good Big Art muffled motor, but I don't miss the paper towel, fuel, glow plugs, etc.  I have no plan of building another IC powered CLPA airframe.  Now if I could only get away from all the baseball tourneys and finish my electric glassy!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
I agree with Mike, but was surprised that there was only 1(?) E-powered bird in Expert CLPA?  How many overall?

Dennis,
   If you mean C/L PA there was two, Walt Brownell flew in advanced.

Mike

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:21:27 PM »
I know there was 1 electric in OTS, a Barnstormer with a Scorpion motor in it.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »
Gee Crist I wonder who flew that  ??? ??? LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
Archie wrote:
No worry about the power system and more attention to flying.  As long as the proper power-system is chosen with good support equipment, the pilot has all the pressure insted of the pit crew.

I think this is really true. I don't fly stunt, I fly carrier but this year for the first time there were electric events for carrier at the Nats. They were part of the unofficial events normally flown on the last day of carrier flying. There were three of us that had E-carrier planes flying in a number of classes. The one thing that we were able to show was how reliable and easy to use the e planes were. Put it on the deck, arm it and take off. No drama with starting, bad needle settings, leaning out on take off, etc. A number of people commented on how impressed they were about the ease of use. Results were pretty good too. In the events that were combined glow and electric the E planes did pretty well. In Skyray carrier I believe an electric was either second or third. In 15 carrier the single electric plane won. Not bad for the first year of competition. Bottom line is once the plane and power system are sorted out it is all about the flying.
Bob Frogner

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
Here is an example.  Yesterday, Big Art came down to Muncie and we went flying @ West side park here in Muncie.  I took our converted Brodak Vector ARF.  I programmed the Phoenix controller to 10,920 rpm for the 10 x 5 prop and we flew it (4) times @ a 5.15 second lap time.  This is the same set-up we used in the Oriental and guess what, it worked the same!  We spent all our time trimming the airplane and messing with the handle spacing to get the airplane flying a good pattern.  In (4) flights, I really felt good about how it was flying.  But not once did we adjust the motor/controller.  We did start out with a 6:00 minute flight time and by the 4rth flight, we backed it down to 5:30 which gave about 8 laps after the clover.  (I really like Will Hublins timer!!!) 

When it comes to a new airframe, I fully expect to be able to fly a pattern the first flight using a known set of power system components.  Even with an unknown set-up, a short amount of testing on the ground should get you close enough to get a decent flight. 

Now for the draw only back.  It is nice to fly with no one else in the air because you can hear it.  If there is someone else flying, flying by feel takes some getting used to.  It was a real learning experience at Brokak this year when I was flying with at least (2) other flights on neighboring circles and I couldn't hear the airplane at all.  Believe, me though, you get used to it very quickly!!

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana 
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here