News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric wins Detroit contest!  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Electric wins Detroit contest!
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
Flash!

Dennis Adamisin wins Detroit Expert class with an electric.  The unusual looking miniature aircraft bested all others in the annual competition.  While the weather wasn't too kind to these miniatures, the design flew nearly flawless.  The long winged silent aircraft navigated the set patten of stunts without a hint of being bothered by the wind or temperatures.  While many were expecting the aircraft to be bounced and jostled, it flew its course tried and true.  While using a $17 motor and other economical electronics, the model bested other aircraft powered with more expensive propulsion systems while being friendly to our planet. 

Well done Dennis!

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Electric wins Detroit contest!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
Congratulations Dennis!!!!!!
AMA 98010

Kim Doherty

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
Way to go Dennis !!

Congratulations !   #^

Kim.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
There were about 10 or more electrics flown in the various classes over the two days. Lots of little electrons running around and lost of electrics took places as well.

bob branch

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »
Congrats Dennis! Thats the way!  :)

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:29:40 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Special thanks to Crist for that awesome pix.  (i gotta lose some weight!)

The Detroit Signal Seekers did a GREAT job preparing the field, organizing things, and had a great lunch each day.  The Signal Seekers field is a GREAT place to fly CLPA and I encouage everyone in range to try to make this meet next year.

Randy Ryan's picnic Sat nite was a terrific - you gotta check out Randy's "Indian" collection.  As you can imiagine when you get a gaggle of modelers together, the story telling takes on a life of its own.  Plus we got to fly in his backyard.

Like Bob said there were probably one of the highest percentage of electric entries in any contest to date, Rick Sawicki and I each flew three, Crist had 2, and Bob flew the E smoothie.  Dave Evard (I might have misspelled that) had his E-smoothie there too but did not fly it.  Of course, the E-Baby Clown flew at Randy's place.

Getting out and hanging out with the gang recharged MY batteries!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 06:27:35 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
Congratulations Dennis!  H^^ Is this also your first win since returning to the hobby?

Mike

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:51 AM »
Congrats Dennis, at Brodak, it looked like that plane flew real well.

Matt Colan

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 07:15:27 AM »
Congratulations Dennis!  H^^ Is this also your first win since returning to the hobby?

Mike

Thanks Mike.  Not quite the first win, (arrogant bastard alert) On Saturday I won Classic with the (electric) Swinger.  Thus I had a great weekend except for flying the (electric) Stinger OTS right into the ground.

We were at a field shared with RC so I claimed "interference"  b1  :o  n1  ;D

BTW Mike, CONGRATS, on your win at Jim Coll.  Sounds like you guys had a great time too.

Matt: yeah, the MB is a really good flying bird, and very easy to fly too - even an old man can duit! 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:51:02 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
The Swinger Baby yeah!!!!  (as said by Sir Austin Powers!!!)  LL~ LL~

Jack would be so proud.

Way to go UD.  It's great to see that things are coming together.  MB makes one heck of an impression. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »

BTW Mike, CONGRATS, on your win at Jim Coll.  Sounds like you guys had a great time too.

Thank you and it was an excellent contest.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
That is great that Mike and Dennis are winning with their electron powered planes.  Now what do we tell the people that electrons cause cancer?  Also Dennis you are slimmer than I am.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Evar

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »

Congrats Dennis;

That plane looked like it was flying on rails, just great.

If you would, tell me again where you got that motor.  I feel I will need a couple for next year.
Mufflers don't fall off and back plates don't come loose on those things.

Dave Evar

Brooklyn OH

North Coast Control Liners   Find us on Face Book
Bean Hill Fliers, Albion PA Akron Skymasters Control line Association  Gone, but not forgotten.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
If my count is right, and I may have missed one, but in addition to Dennis' two wins electrics took at least 4 other placings. ^ placings in electric for one contest is pretty fairQ

Bob Branch

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
Congratulations, how about some stats on that electric ?
I thought i asked this but do not see it any place...

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »
Check the top sticky "List your Setup".

And yes congratulations to Dennis and Mike! y1

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:41:37 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Hearty congrats on your win, and also on your unique design. I remember seeing one of your V-tails designs a long time ago in the mags. The high-aspect ratio wing is most interesting. I'm really encouraged by your success with the inexpensive motor as well. I've actually ordered one of the Turnigy motors and some Zippy batteries to play with.

Just by the way, this coming Saturday, we are having our "Art Adamisin Cup" competition once again here in Johannesburg, South Africa. We were real privileged to have your dad out here for a couple of weeks in 1997, and he was the start of a great step forward for us in improving the standard of stunt and also our judging. We have this competition in his honor every 2nd year as part of our team selection process. If you speak to Big Art, then please convey our best wishes to him.

I will be flying my updated "Electron" with the MVVS 6,5/910 motor that's really working well now. Plenty power, and runs cool on a 4-cell 3300 mAh pack. My own timer with the hall-effect sensor for rpm is working well now, and I've also managed to make it work now with one of the motor wires to pick up the rpm. The cheap Hobbywing basic ESC without the governor feels like the Jeti Spin in governor mode, so hopefully this will work well in the Electron on Saturday. If it works out well, I'll post the details.

Keith R
Keith R

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »

Congrats Dennis;

That plane looked like it was flying on rails, just great.

If you would, tell me again where you got that motor.  I feel I will need a couple for next year.
Mufflers don't fall off and back plates don't come loose on those things.

Dave Evar

Thanks for the kind words Dave.  The motor I am using is  Turnigy SK series 35-42-1000.  I bought it online at Hobby City:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »
"The Kid's Still Got It!"

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:05 AM »
BTW Dennis .. is the angle of that right wheel pant a trim feature, a loose screw, or optical confusion?   S?P 
Inquiring minds want to know.   H^^

Mike

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:13 AM »
Mike,

Perhaps it's optical dillusion.  n~ n~

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
BTW Dennis .. is the angle of that right wheel pant a trim feature, a loose screw, or optical confusion?   S?P 
Inquiring minds want to know.   H^^

Mike

yes & no  ???  b1  >:D  ;D
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 06:03:55 AM »
LOL!  I thought so.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »
I did have a slightly loose wheelpant, and they are not pinned - yet
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »
Actually Mike. I was flying against him and gave it a twist to psych him out....... Didn't work..........

Willis Swindell

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »

Dennis

Inquiring mind did any thing happen to the electric's in the Stinger crash? Trying to get my nerves up to make the jump to electric.
Willis

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 08:21:44 AM »
Willis:
Have not done much of a post mortem.  It looks like the motor is burnt up, do not know about the ESC yet.  THe battery looks OK.  The timer was damaged because of other stuff that got pushed into it.

While I do not design to crash I think it is prudent that some fore-thought be given to the unspeakable event.  I try to make sure the battery compartment is smooth with no protuberances (like screw points) that will stick into the battery in a crash.  Similarly the ESC can be put out of the path of danger too.

Electric motors are NOT crash proof,  I expect that the motor on the Stinger now has a bent shaft.  Since it also has burnt windings I do not expect to bother replacing the shaft!  I have been thinking about electric trainers and have sketched out some ideas for soft mounts - possiblly using rubber bands.  Of course the safest layout would be a pusher - except that will force the battery forward to ground zero....

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Willis Swindell

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 04:09:09 PM »
Dennis
I have started flying some indoor electric trying to understand this battery motor thing. This guy has a small flying wing that has a bumper in front  of the prop. It runs from leading edge to leading edge made out of carbon fiber in a semi circle and is well used on walls and bleachers
Willis

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »
Willis:
Have not done much of a post mortem.  It looks like the motor is burnt up, do not know about the ESC yet.  THe battery looks OK.  The timer was damaged because of other stuff that got pushed into it.

While I do not design to crash I think it is prudent that some fore-thought be given to the unspeakable event.  I try to make sure the battery compartment is smooth with no protuberances (like screw points) that will stick into the battery in a crash.  Similarly the ESC can be put out of the path of danger too.

Electric motors are NOT crash proof,  I expect that the motor on the Stinger now has a bent shaft.  Since it also has burnt windings I do not expect to bother replacing the shaft!  I have been thinking about electric trainers and have sketched out some ideas for soft mounts - possiblly using rubber bands.  Of course the safest layout would be a pusher - except that will force the battery forward to ground zero....

Dennis what happened to the stinger???

Matt Colan

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »
Dennis what happened to the stinger???

Uh, I kinda sorta flew it right into the ground  HB~> - inverted  HB~> - which is NOT a nice way for a V-tail to die  :X (its repairable).

:! We were flying on a field that is shared bu an RC club.  I am claiming "channel interference"  ~^

That's my story and I'm sticking tuit!  b1  :-[  ;D
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
My transmitters were in Muncie the time of impact and they were also turned off.  Perhaps you should change to 2.4?? n~ n~

I know I am not helping.  LOL LL~

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Alan Hahn

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 08:54:04 AM »
Uh, I kinda sorta flew it right into the ground  HB~> - inverted  HB~> - which is NOT a nice way for a V-tail to die  :X (its repairable).

:! We were flying on a field that is shared bu an RC club.  I am claiming "channel interference"  ~^

That's my story and I'm sticking tuit!  b1  :-[  ;D

Maybe your up line hit a bug!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »
Alan

How did you know? There were dragon flies the size of my electric smoothie out there! It was a real rattle hitting them with a line and interesting when they were snagged for 4 or 5 laps like I had on one flight.  The red tailed hawks almost got an sv-22. Interesting place to fly.  #^

bob

Alan Hahn

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
Alan

How did you know? There were dragon flies the size of my electric smoothie out there! It was a real rattle hitting them with a line and interesting when they were snagged for 4 or 5 laps like I had on one flight.  The red tailed hawks almost got an sv-22. Interesting place to fly.  #^

bob

Because I've hit a bug before, and if I was actually flying a little low, it would be easy to put it in. Even when they don't go in, you can certainly feel the "twang" and the glitch on the plane when you hit one.

alan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here