News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric tutorial - the basics. Any websites or posts?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Electric tutorial - the basics. Any websites or posts?
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »
I'd like to get into Electric C/L but the manufacturers are doing a great disservice for those of us who aren't degreed Electrcal Engineers.
Just how do you choose the right combo for your model ???????
I see so many "copying" other proven combos, yet there are a dozens of motor manf. besides "AXI".

I need a website/ book that explains the basics, including terminology, math and conversions, etc. Rm?, Lo?, Outrunner? - I have no clue  n~
Thanx
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Alan Hahn

Re: Electric tutorial - the basics. Any websites or posts?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
Over on RC Groups, there are some stickies for "newbies".

That being said, I would check our link up above in this forum called "List your setup".

If you have some idea about what type of airframe you are thinking about, mention it and I bet you will get more suggestions (and all are good too!) than you will know what to do with.

Once you see what works, then ask us why we chose specific items. I think it is easy to give narrow answers than big sweeping "global" truths! LL~

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »
edited for really dumb spelling errors (most of them)

Doug:
First of WELCOME to the ECL forum.  

There is no single site that I am aware of that will answer all of your questions.  However there are a LOT of people here who have all been living and learning ECL - should be able to get to where you want to be.  It might seem bewildering to you know but I think ultimately you will discover that setting up an ECL bird is actually easier than setting up the same bird with wet power.  In both cases though its nice to know what other people are using and that's where the "List Your Set-up" thread comes in.  Chances are you will find an application that is similar to what you plan on using.

Like Alan said its hard to give both global and speicific answers at the same time, usually it helps a lot to know what kind of application you have in mind to start with, then its easier to give you better answers to what ever questions you have.

I'll start; did you have a particular airplane in mind and/or what diameter prop would you expect to use on it?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:12:01 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »
Hi Douglas,

Your question is a very good one, and I'm sure there will be many more CLPA pilots asking it in the future.

In addition to Alan's good recommendations, here are a few more:

1. There is not, and probably never will be, a "book" on Electric power for CLPA. The reason is that by the time it is researched, written, published, and sold, (about 1+ year, at best) the information will be out of date. And the market is so small it would not be cost effective for the writer and or the publisher.

2. Given the above, there is still a lot of material available. It does require some time and effort on your part to do the reseach. Robert's excellent forum is a great place to start. Use his "Search" function on the top of every page, this will help. In this section read as many posts as you can. It will be worth your time and allow you to get a good start in ECL and avoid costly mistakes.

3. Get out your PAMPA Stunt News issues and read the "Electric" columns by one of the compition E powered CLPA pioneers, Will Moore. A few of the columns by the new guy may be helpful, I'm not sure, but at least the new ECL photo's are nice thanks to Bob Hunt.

4. Look at your copies of Brodak's CLW (Control Line World) and read everything written by one of the pioneers of ECL, Mike Palko. Mike knows his stuff and has a pleasent, clear, writting style.

5. If you want a GAUARNTEED "Turn Key" ECL start, then contact Eric at RSM. He has a RTF system that is perfect for most CLPA planes. Get one of Eric's excellent kits, or a Brodak ARF P-40 or ARC Cardinal with Eric's turn Key E power system and you won't have to read anything to get a quiet, reliable, powerful, ECL flight.

6. All the info you need is out there. We are trying to pull it together and make it more easily digestable for the newcomer, but we are not there yet. In the ERC world ALL the plane mfg. give clear info. as to what is needed to E power their planes. Some of the E mfg. have done an outstanding job of making it easier for a "wet" pilot to convert to reliable E power. One is HORIZON. They are one of the model worlds largest distributers. Their Eflite line labels their E motors with the familiar numbers used in the "wet" engine world. For example their Eflite .46 makes it very clear what power it replaces. Their sizes are equivalent to a high quality wet engines (OS FX etc.).

Welcome to the E power CLPA world. There is a lot of help on this forum, and doing some reseach will get you to your goal quickly.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:28:38 AM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »
"Dog:
First of WLECOME to the ECL forum.  "

Sorry, Doug. These guys are like that at first, but once they get to know you, they'll treat you OK.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »
Man Howard, you make it look so easy.
the shot was there and you had to take it,  i Know ;D

Dave jr.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:46:17 PM »
"Dog:
First of WLECOME to the ECL forum.  "

Sorry, Doug. These guys are like that at first, but once they get to know you, they'll treat you OK.

Ah yes, I NEVER miss a chance to make a "memorable" first impression...   :o  b1 HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  

I suppose this would be a BAD time to ask Doug if I can sell him a prop!???!!!  HB~>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:12:30 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 12:25:13 AM »
Yikes Howard,

Now I remember why I stopped posting to this forum for a long time. Looks like I should have just stayed away. Sorry if I was so offensive, it was not my intent.   HB~>
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:52 AM »
One of the best for Electric:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/

Particularly the GENERAL ELECTRIC articles by Ed Anderson (AEAJR) are like getting a pipe tutorial from Randy, Trimming by Ted, etc. Also, there's an extensive discussion manufacturers, quality (or lack thereof), reliabilty and availability.

They don't (or won't) discuss E-C/L, but for the C/L stuff, you have Stunthanger.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:54:06 AM by Ralph Wenzel »
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
Actually we are one of the more genteel  H^^ forums here. Almost never a discouraging word.

Everyone is above average .

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
Well thanks for the encouraging words. I'm an AMT for a major Airline, have worked Overhaul Maintenance for the last 30 yrs., so I DO understand basic electronics, but when you start getting into matching components and electrical loads...ugh! Brain-freeze.

I have one of Walt Umland's Ringmaster Imperial kits which I think is a sleek aircraft with good lines. It would look beautiful without the ugly-wart engine sticking out the top cowl. I'm very much intrigued by the "no oil - no mess" of ECL.

With that said, the Ring imp has a wing area of 613 sq.", and a span of 52.5". I'd like to spec. it out before I start building even though I'm unsure of the final weight.

Considering the motor will never run at 100% and the battery pack will have a reserve capacity, there will be a "range" of motors and battery ratings I can select from, right?

Just like cell phones, this tech. is changing daily. Time to jump on the bandwagon!

p.s.- Have you seen the Contra-Rotating Motors from Maxx Prod.? (HIMAX)  Impressive!!

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-266.html
AMA 656546

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »
Rudy
I'm pretty sure Howard was only making lite of dennis's obvious misspelling of Doug's name as "Dog"
I'm sure it wasn't your post he was poking fun at.
and i was just noting Howards unique ability to make lite of just about anything.
hopefully All is Ok in stunt land
Dave jr.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
Rudy
I'm pretty sure Howard was only making lite of dennis's obvious misspelling of Doug's name as "Dog"
and i was just noting Howards unique ability to make lite of just about anything.
Dave jr.

I agree---generally just seeing Howard's name is equivalent to  #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ n~ n~ n~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
Rudy
Dave jr.

No offense taken...I've been called worse.
AMA 656546

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »
No offense taken...I've been called worse.

Doug:
I should have been more careful  Still getting used to the small keyboard and screen on this notebook.   b1  Also there is more than a hot rumor that at least HALF of the JCT will likely be spending more time in this forum, I better learn to use the spel czech.    ~^

Anyhow, back to the thread, do you have a particular project in mind? 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
Well thanks for the encouraging words. I'm an AMT for a major Airline, have worked Overhaul Maintenance for the last 30 yrs., so I DO understand basic electronics, but when you start getting into matching components and electrical loads...ugh! Brain-freeze.

I have one of Walt Umland's Ringmaster Imperial kits which I think is a sleek aircraft with good lines. It would look beautiful without the ugly-wart engine sticking out the top cowl. I'm very much intrigued by the "no oil - no mess" of ECL.

With that said, the Ring imp has a wing area of 613 sq.", and a span of 52.5". I'd like to spec. it out before I start building even though I'm unsure of the final weight.

Considering the motor will never run at 100% and the battery pack will have a reserve capacity, there will be a "range" of motors and battery ratings I can select from, right?

Just like cell phones, this tech. is changing daily. Time to jump on the bandwagon!

p.s.- Have you seen the Contra-Rotating Motors from Maxx Prod.? (HIMAX)  Impressive!!

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-266.html

Yes, but remember it needs 2 ESC's to run the two motors. Cool, but costly. Nevertheless, it would be a good pysch-out setup.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »
[/quote]

Yes, a Ringmaster Imperial (W. Umland kit) about 613 sq." and 52.5" span.

I've seen beam mounts for motors, sort of a clamshell affair with cooling fins. The top cowl area from the spinner ring to the front canopy area could be made into a hatch for motor/ battery/ ESC access.
AMA 656546

Alan Hahn

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »

I've seen beam mounts for motors, sort of a clamshell affair with cooling fins. The top cowl area from the spinner ring to the front canopy area could be made into a hatch for motor/ battery/ ESC access.

If I understand your description of the motor mount, it is either one for a brushed motor, or a brushless in-runner. Either one of these has the outer case fixed, with the inner armature turning. I am assuming you are talking about the brushless option. I am not sure how many people are running an in runner, which typically has a higher kV than the out-runner motor most of us are using. You will be turning a prop at an rpm in the 8-12000 rpm range. With a kV in the 1000 rpm/V or less, we are talking about a 3s -5s Lipo battery pack. 3s means 3 cells hooked up in series, to give 3 times the volts of a single cell.

Depending on the in-runner you might choose, you may need a gear box if it has a kV much over 1500 rpm/Volt. I am not familiar with gearbox setups for in-runners, so I will defer to the advice of others.

Like I said, most of us are using outrunners, which may require some cutting of the normal hardwood motor mounts for clearance. In an Outrunner, the outer can itself is rotating around a fixed stator. At first sight this looks a little odd, but is working quite well.

I am trying to think where there may be some photos of outrunner mounts.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 02:05:03 AM »
Hi Douglas,

The clam shell mounts don't work with the type of electric motors used by 99% of ECL and ERC flyers today. (in our ECL size)

You may want to Look here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=14349.0      See photo reply  # 4

The above is the most common method for our ECL full body planes. (after the old MM are removed)

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=2839.0        See photo reply # 18

If you are good working with metal, and can make one of these aluminum mounts, then this will work perfectly in your plane.

The most common mount for conversion is to simply remove the maple MM (or drill all lightening holes into them). Then use the X mount that comes with most E motors to mount the motor directly to the firewall. Sometimes you have to install another firewall in your plane to get the spinner spacing perfect for the motor you are using.

If you want to use the most tested motor for your size and weight plane then go with the AXI 2826-10, Castle Creations 45 and a Hurbin timer. OR you could contact Eric at RSM:

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm

and get his excellent "turn key" system. both will match your plane perfectly.

Go here to see a typical mounting of a modern E motor:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/srtele_arf_6882_prd1.htm

The above photo  shows standoffs if you need them. In our ECL planes most of the time we can mount directly to the firewall with the X mount shown in this photo. The motor screws to the X mount 1st. When you get your motor it will be very clear how it is mounted in your RM Imp.

Here is some motor info:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/radial_mount_set_for_axi_2820_2826_outrunner_motors_1364_prd1.htm

As suggested before, some of the ERC forum sites have more info and many photos of installations. Any mag at your LHS will show photos of motor installs that will give you ideas on how to install yours.
There are several installation photos in the last several issues of Stunt News in the electric column, and also in CLW. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:50:53 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 02:31:48 AM »
Rudy
Dave jr.

Thanks Dave,

I'm sure your right. I have met Howard and he is a very nice guy with a wonderful wry sense of humor.  y1

I guess I am just a little over sensitive when it comes to dealing with some CL people. I know Howard is from the much more civilized north country, but here in the SW most CL guys wake up every day and their 1st wish is "...... I hope when I open today's paper it's date is 1958..." They refuse to accept the fact that it is really 2009!

R%%%% Down here, if you don't fly an old profile Ringmaster, covered in tissue, painted with toxic dope and powered by a felon Fox motor, then you are branded a heretic that should be banashed from the world of modeling. ...... And, god forbid, you show up with an ARF, covered with the devils own sinful plastic covering and then power it with the SIN of all SINS the hated ELECTRIC POWER then you are truly cast from the circle run by the old guard and banished to an outcast status, called a cheater, banned from some contests and generally accused of bringing Civilization (as they see it) to an end!  HB~>  R%%%%

Yikes! That sounded awful. ..... I guess I should just continue flying ERC where new ideas are always welcome and appreciated. ;-)

Thanks again for your insightful post. :-)

Regards,  H^^

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:43:21 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »
Post deleted.
My mistake. The clam shell mounts are for brushless/ geared motors.

Since I will be building from a kit, modifying the mount with suitable firewall should be a no-brainer.
AMA 656546

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »
Hi Doug,

The Imperial should make quite a nice ECL model.  I have one also but mine is the old Sterling kit bought off ebay, its all punched out of th ediecut sheets so its not a collectable, and it is waiting its turn in the build que.  Lake you said, the long slim nose would look even better without a cylinder sticking out of it!  It has a large wing and also has a fairly thin airfoil, so it will be right at home with a goverened electric system  Good news also that the power system you will need is right in line with what a LOT of use have been using.

Rudy mentioned the RSM system.  Looks pretty good but I think it actually may be too large ( more accurately, too heavy) for the R.I.  As a forinstance, the RSM system uses a 4 cell 3850 mah lipo pack that weighs 13.5 oz.  I am using a 4 cell 2500 mah pack that weighs 8.5 oz.  That is a LOT of weight savings!

Look at it this way (or weigh if your prefer)  The R.I was originally designed to fly with a IC 35 size engine, most likely turning a 10x6 prop.  If you electtrify it and use say a APC 11x5.5 it will be far more powerful than the orignal.  Of course you could also use a 12" or 13" (or more) prop with additional larger motor and battery capacity, not to mention exceeding tall landing gear, but somewhere enough is enough!

Now the shameless PLUG - (advertising alert!) I am working with Brodak to introduce a series of "Turn Key" power systems.  The "40" sized system is designed to use a 11x5.5 APC-E prop, Arrowind 2820 motor, Castle ICE-50 controller, Arrowind 4Sx2800 battery, and WIll Hubin timer.  The system should be on the market by the end of November, I do not know the price yet. 

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
Hi Rudy:

Then you would be pleased to know that Jim Goss took third today at Napa Vintage  Stunt (kind of a NorCal VSC) with an E-powered Jamison, and he was neither tarred nor feathered nor run out of town. We are very civilized in the Bay Area. I think Dave Shirley took second and Bob Baron first, all flying Jamisons. One notable event was David Fitzgerald flying his Dad's Gieske (sp?) Nobler, a real oldie, and winning Classic with it.

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »
Hi Mike
Thats Bob Duncan that beat me not bob baron. and frankly i dont care what the power plant is as long as we are all having fun,
and its within the rules for the event.I might try an electric but I'm afraid I might upset my Pit man and I've had him for quite a while and hate to lose him.I'm still waiting to see what comes out of the oakland hills before i make my move.
heck it took me three attempts just to get one official score. after round one I was 0 for 2 and even Dad was giving me a bad time.
I wasn't sure why everyone was waving to me while i was flying, I yelled Hi back but they just kept waving at me . Frankly i thought they were trying to bother me so I ignored them.How rude of them.
I hadn't even realized that the top three were all jamisons untill you pointed it out.(now that might be grounds for us all to be run out of town).
At least we all beat that Paul Pomposa guy with his tissue covered ringmaster. ;D
I'm pretty sure Dave Fitzgerald could beat us with just about anything that hooks up to lines, but it was nice to see his Dad's old airplane flying.
see you at the next one Mike.
Dave jr.

Note to self: add hand signal to cheat sheet for old time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:00:59 PM by dave shirley jr »

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
Doh!! Apologies to Bob DUNCAN who will probably never be my launcher again, especially since I believe Mr. Baron is deceased. As soon as I hit "post" I had an uneasy feeling about something. Now I know what. 

I hadn't noticed the Jamison Sweep either until I wrote the message. Between Jamisons and Humungae you have about 90% of the top placing OTS models at just about any contest. Paul Pomposo proved that the OTS pattern can be well flown at 200 mph.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
<snip>

Now the shameless PLUG - (advertising alert!) I am working with Brodak to introduce a series of "Turn Key" power systems.  The "40" sized system is designed to use a 11x5.5 APC-E prop, Arrowind 2820 motor, Castle ICE-50 controller, Arrowind 4Sx2800 battery, and WIll Hubin timer.  The system should be on the market by the end of November, I do not know the price yet. 

Cool, this will really make it easy for thoes sitting on the fence..

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
Look at it this way (or weigh if your prefer)  The R.I was originally designed to fly with a IC 35 size engine, most likely turning a 10x6 prop.  If you electtrify it and use say a APC 11x5.5 it will be far more powerful than the orignal.  Of course you could also use a 12" or 13" (or more) prop with additional larger motor and battery capacity, not to mention exceeding tall landing gear, but somewhere enough is enough!

Which brings the next question; 3-blade Electric Props. Is there such an animal?

The Brodak system looks promising! Look forward to it.
I think more vendors will be offering matched systems but, one size does not always fit all...
AMA 656546

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 09:34:05 PM »
1958.  Wow.  I have a Greatest Hits of 1958 CD I play to get me enthusiastic about building stunt planes.  I can see it being 1958 again.  I wonder if my folks will let me go to the 1959 Nats.  I gotta warn Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.  And now that I know what that girl in my homeroom was suggesting, I know what action to take. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 10:19:02 PM »
1958.  Wow.  I have a Greatest Hits of 1958 CD I play to get me enthusiastic about building stunt planes.  I can see it being 1958 again.  I wonder if my folks will let me go to the 1959 Nats.  I gotta warn Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.  And now that I know what that girl in my homeroom was suggesting, I know what action to take. 

HR: that's a Ringmaster Imperial - not Little Anthony and the Imperials..  :o
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 04:51:50 AM »
Hi Rudy:

Then you would be pleased to know that Jim Goss took third today at Napa Vintage  Stunt (kind of a NorCal VSC) with an E-powered Jamison, and he was neither tarred nor feathered nor run out of town. We are very civilized in the Bay Area. I think Dave Shirley took second and Bob Baron first, all flying Jamisons. One notable event was David Fitzgerald flying his Dad's Gieske (sp?) Nobler, a real oldie, and winning Classic with it.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the electrifying good news. Yes, it seems that ECL has been doing well in many parts of the nation and in some places it is being accepted. But here in the extreme SW (SoCal, AZ) it is still receiving a less than warm welcome. And yes, you are very civilized in the North country (NorCal to WA), I lived there for 15 years and enjoyed it. :-) ............... Bob Hunt once told me about the very slooooow acceptance of his and Dean's Pipe idea by the CL community. He said they got more than a "little" push-back about the idea.  n~ ..... So I am not surprised by the push back against ECL, disappointed, but not surprised.  y1

I'm also not surprised at Dave's victory with his dad's old Nobler, as others have said, Dave could beat us with a brick on a string!  y1  I think if Dave ever has to land his jet on the Hudson he would set up the landing to stop at Pier 27, allowing the passengers to step off the wing right onto the Pier!  ;)

I look forward to seeing you at GS this Sunday. My new scale ECL is almost finished but will not be ready for this weekend. (I'm building two at the same time in the hope that one of them flys OK ;-) I will bring one up to the next NorCal contest you guys have. Please keep me posted with your NorCal contest schedule.  Maybe I will even see HR there and get a chance to apologize for my poorly worded rant.  y1

Sorry for the detour Doug ..... back to your thread  :)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
Hello Doug, or should I say Yo, Dog!
Okay that joke was dead already!
This really is the place: it's just that all the info isn't tied up into a neat bundle; and you will likely not get a definitive answer on the which brand widget question, just lots of good opinions.
It will take a fair bit of rummaging through old threads, but I promise you the effort will be worthwhile.
Once you have gathered a good enough general picture of the E-Stunt technology state of the art, start asking specific questions. I need to write a tutorial ...
Welcome to Stunthangar,
    Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
Once you have gathered a good enough general picture of the E-Stunt technology state of the art, start asking specific questions. I need to write a tutorial ...
Welcome to Stunthangar,
    Dean P.

Ok, Thanx.
How do I compare Motor ratings? Some use Watts, others Kva and lastly RPM/v. I know they are all inter-related.
I've got my eye on a Maxx prod. HC3528 HIMAX series motor.
Sounds like "Marketing Deception", like Chevy touting their Torque ratings and Ford their HP. Each trying to claim their Truck is more powerful.
AMA 656546

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:34 AM »
Unfortunately there are several different classifications the motor manufacturers are using to delineate their motor sizes, takes a little diggin to sort it out:

* Turnigy & Rimfire use the external dimensions.  A 36-42 motor is 36mm outside shell diameter x 42mm long (not including the shaft)

* Arrowind, AXI and Scorpion use the (internal) commutator diameter x magnet length.  An Arrowind 2820 is pretty close to a Turnigy 36-42.

* It looks like HiMaxx uses a combination of the above: in their case the external diameter x magnet length.

* I was told this and have found it a useful approximation: if in doubt compare weights; a 5 oz motor from source A is going to approximate a 5 oz motor from source B

I think the Himaxx 3528 is two sizes larger than you need.  I would suggest the instead that you use the 3516-840 (similar to a Turnigy 36-42 or Arrowind 2820)

* Got to go, will check back later, meanwhile checkout the Turnigy SK35-42 at the Hobby City site.  While you are there you can check out a lot of different sizes & shapes of motors, & incredible prices...

http://www.hobbycity.com

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:58:50 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »
Yes weight ... but also KV (rpm/V) - it gives first info

then max current will tell little more than weight

for better comparing of efficiency, no load current plus internal resistance - they both determine efficiency, but no load current is little more meanfull for us (running in PWM) while resistance says more what motor does loaded (uphill)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »
Igor,

Actually weight is a pretty good indicator of the power handling capability--at least if you are comparing styles of motors--like outrunner to outrunner. Basically it works because the weight is more or less set by the iron and copper--both necessary to handle power.

I use it as a "litmus test" when you can't tell from the manufacturer's specs what the motor actually is. If the weight is "weigh" off (pun intended!), then most likely you are not comparing comparable motors.

The danger with Io and resistance is than some manufacturer's are pretty "creative" with these specs! Finally you use kV to match the battery pack voltage you want to use (or vice versa).

So my motto is ---Weigh, wait, way or no way! y1

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »
The danger with Io and resistance is than some manufacturer's are pretty "creative" with these specs!

Yes :-) ... but fortunately it is better and better, but sometimes I see Ri of only one winding ... and then, when you buy it, yo see yes, but it is connected to star  >:D

but also just opposite - for exmaple AXI has also stated only one winding and it is delta  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here