News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: electric motors and bench testing  (Read 7968 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
electric motors and bench testing
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
I understand the concept that  motor running on the ground or a bench would not be the same as in actual flight. I was wondering how the motor might be test for in flight conditions if a fan and a grid to straighen the air movement out were placed in front of the motor being tested?

Alan Hahn

Re: electric motors and bench testing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
Jim,
I don't think that is necessary. Bench testing with a prop will tell you about the maximum you will pull in a normal CL flight. I find that when I go to flying, things drop about 25% or so. I think it is too much bother to rig up a wind tunnnel (although I have thought of some other strange things to do like put a boom out in front of my car to attach a motor to measure prop performance at 50 mph!)

What I do do though is to make my first flights short by adjusting the timer for a 2 minute rather than a normal 5 minute flight--just to be sure I don't overdrive the battery. Then I check how much I put back into the battery and see if it is like I thought it would be from the bench test. So far it has worked out ok, if dragging out things a bit.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »
Jim,

One way to get close on the ground test is to put on a prop that is 1 inch smaller than your flight prop. This will get you in the range of the in flight amps. If you use an ESC with governor mode it will hold the rpm and you can test to make sure the governor is governing with the flight prop. I start by doing short runs without the governor engaged first on the small prop to see the max low load rpm, then with the flight prop to see the max loaded rpm. You can start the setup process for the governor with the small prop, set for the rpm you want in flight (i.e for a prop pitch of 5" a starting point for 63' line length would be around 8800 rpm). Once you get the throttle % set with the small prop you can check the flight prop, it should hold the same rpm. If the rpm is lower you are loading the motor to much and need to either use a smaller prop or add more battery volts. I like to have about 10% head room from the max full throttle rpm on the flight prop to the governed rpm so it has room to move voltage up as the battery is pulled down.

Best,        Dennis

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:53:46 AM »
From reading the responses, I gather that bench running a set up will use more than the same set up flying?  I'm running into a Low voltage cutoff with 15 seconds to go.  This is with the governor on and fast throttle response.  I'm going to try a slow throttle response just to see if it affects bench run time.  I do have the low voltage cutoff set at 3.1v per cell.  The next lowest setting is 2.9v.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
The throttle response being at low made no difference in the bench run time.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:28 AM »
Hi Crist
It sounds like you are set up about right to fly. You didn't mention your prop or RPM
or battery but, your flight watts will drop by approx. 20% from your bench test. If you want to play it safe set your timer to run less time for your first flight. You could also put on a smaller dia prop or less pitch for your first flight.

Walt Brownell

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:08:21 AM »
Walt,
I have a set up I'm going to use for OTS in a Barnstormer.  It is a E-flite Park 480 1020kv 275w motor, E-flite 1800 mah 3s 20c battery, and an Align 25a esc in governor mode.  I set the timer for 4 minutes and at 3:45 it goes into lvc and pulses the motor till the "burp" then it spools down nicely to a stop.  The esc I have set for no brake, mid-timing, 3.1v lvc, governor mode, and fast throttle response.  On the bench I'm using 1520 mah from start to finish.  the esc isn't very warm, but the battery is quite warm.  I can grip it but it does fell hot to the touch.  i'm sure I'm nowhere near the 140f that the instructions say never to exceed.  My prop is an APC 12 x 6e and the rpm I'm showing on my tach is 7000 +/- 200 rpm.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:49:50 AM »
Walt,
I have a set up I'm going to use for OTS in a Barnstormer.  It is a E-flite Park 480 1020kv 275w motor, E-flite 1800 mah 3s 20c battery, and an Align 25a esc in governor mode.  I set the timer for 4 minutes and at 3:45 it goes into lvc and pulses the motor till the "burp" then it spools down nicely to a stop.  The esc I have set for no brake, mid-timing, 3.1v lvc, governor mode, and fast throttle response.  On the bench I'm using 1520 mah from start to finish.  the esc isn't very warm, but the battery is quite warm.  I can grip it but it does fell hot to the touch.  i'm sure I'm nowhere near the 140f that the instructions say never to exceed.  My prop is an APC 12 x 6e and the rpm I'm showing on my tach is 7000 +/- 200 rpm.

Ahhh, electric in an Old Timer---"the end of Old Time as we know it".

Crist,
Yes you will use less in the air. So for example, My current draw with the 12-6 APC TE prop @8100 rpm on the bench drew 30.5A (from a 4s cell). In the air, my average current in level flight is ~18A. Now the current will peak up at 30A during the vertical maneuvers, but The actual average current for the whole flight, including the vertical stuff was 19.5A.

One comment I have is why you are running 7000rpm---do you know that is what you need in the air?

Also I note the pulses are reminiscent of my 2nd flight on Saturday at the Windy City Classic, when I inadvertently put the battery from the first flight (uncharged) back into the plane! Anyway, keep the 3.2V cutoff, you really don't want to drop the lipo below that. I note that the FMA 3s1p 2100mAHr Lipo weighs in at 5.1oz in case you need more "oomph". That's the battery I use in my SuperClown.

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
Hi Crist
I ran some numbers you may want to consider. At 7000rpm and 6"pitch your pitch speed calculates to be approx.40 mph. This is not the exact flight speed but it is close. If you use Dean's formula for "Target" RPM: 1020kv*11volts*.70 battery you
get 7854 rpm. If you use that to get a pitch speed of 50mph you need a 6.7"pitch prop. You can heat and repitch your 12x6 but, you will draw more amps from your
battery unless you cut down on the diameter. You may want to try a higher rpm and
a smaller prop on the bench and make sure you are not going to draw too many amps from your battery and for your motor. You will need approx 100 watts per pound for
a decent flight pattern. That is within your motors limit of 275 watts so that should
not be a problem. However your battery may need more MAH . You should check this on the bench to avoid damage to your battery.

Walt     

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
Walt,
If you look at one of the posts I made (in your thread I think), my 8100 rpm on the 12-6 APC TE prop equates to 46 mph, but my plane is actually flying at 56 mph (I think that is what I posted).

Now pitch has to matter at some point, once we understand what the effective pitch of the prop is. However I am thinking that 7000 is going to be too low too.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »
Walt,
The 7000 rpm comes from where I have the timer set.  Max rpm at turn on is 7800 and then it quickley goes to @ 7200 rpm within the first 15 seconds then it stabilizes there for several minutes.  I just ran it again without the governer and the rpm started a little higher but continued to go down and I got the lvc at 3:30 instead of 3:45.  I'll play with the set up some more.  I can do it in my garage, even at 10:30 at night!

I plan to use about a 55 foot line length eye to eye on the Barnstormer to get the 5 sec laps I'm hoping for.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
Crist,
It sounds like your battery cannot handle the load of the 12-6 prop. If it really was working in governor mode, the rpm would stay at 7800 rpm. The fact that it drops soon after starting means to me that you have no reserve. It is possible that it will work under flight conditions, but I am guessing that it won't--in other words, the rpm will probably drop from level flight values when you pull the nose up.

I would try an APC11-5.5 prop--it is less of a load, and may be fine for you. I was flying my Nobler with that prop originally. My Super Clown was using the APC 10-7 TE Prop and worked well.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
Alan,
I have a 12 x 6e cut down to 11 inches.  I'll try a run with one of those and let you know what happens.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
I just ran an my cut down 12 x 6e to 11 inches just like all the other times.  Didn't make it the 4 minutes, just like all the other runs. 

The next run I reduced the rpm to 6700. It held the same speed throughout the 4 mins and spooled down like it was supposed to. I'm guessing the governer was working because the tach (TNC) never changed its reading.  I'll charge it tomorrow and see what it takes to charge it back up.  The average of all the runs so far have been about 1475 - 1500 mah.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »
Crist,
One comment is that a 12-6 E cut down to 11-6 is still a lot bigger prop (in blade area) than the 11-5.5E prop (not accounting for pitch of course).
My guess is that with that particular battery, you will need a still smaller prop. Again as an example, on my Super Clown,  I used  1700mAH from a 3s2100mAHr FMA pack. Now your Barnstormer may get better "mileage" than my SuperClown (better streamlining perhaps). As a factoid, my SuperClown weighs in at 28oz, including the battery pack, motor, ESC, and timer. I fly for a little over 5 minutes to complete the full PAMPA pattern. I'll attach a Eagletree plot of one of my SC flights, showing what the draw and wattage looked like. I note that the rpm is oscillating around ~8500 rpm with the APC 10-7 prop----I don't see that with my Nobler, I assume it is due to having to use "Low Governor"mode of the CC ESC--but I am not positive.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
Alan,
I cut down the 12 x 6 to an 11 inch prop then I made the blades narrower.  I ran it on the bench at 7800 rpm ( just off full throttle) and it went the distance of 4 minutes and held the rpm throughout the run.  It drew 19a at first thenslowly worked its way up to 22a at the 4 minute mark.  It drew 1224mah.  The battery was warm, while the esc and motor was slightly warm.  My question is this thing about unloading in the air.  How much does it and is that why I shoud invest in a ammeter to measure what it actually does during a flight?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »
Alan,
I cut down the 12 x 6 to an 11 inch prop then I made the blades narrower.  I ran it on the bench at 7800 rpm ( just off full throttle) and it went the distance of 4 minutes and held the rpm throughout the run.  It drew 19a at first thenslowly worked its way up to 22a at the 4 minute mark.  It drew 1224mah.  The battery was warm, while the esc and motor was slightly warm.  My question is this thing about unloading in the air.  How much does it and is that why I shoud invest in a ammeter to measure what it actually does during a flight?

I'm impressed! It sounds like you made an 11-6 out of an 12-6. I'll stick with my ARF 11-5.5 prop.

By the way, the reason the amps increased at the end is that as the run progresses, the battery voltage drops. However if the rpm is constant, the power (watts) stays the same, so the amps have to increase---the ESC is increasing the throttle to keep the rpm constant.

What unloading means is that in the air, 7800 rpm will use less power---the voltage won't drop as fast since the amp draw will be less. You don't really need a data logger unless you are obsessive! If you can handle the rpm statically, then you should be fine in the air. The only issue is whether you will get the flight speed you want. That's always a guess at first.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to get a couple of 11 x 5.5's.  You make do with what ya got!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 07:47:47 AM »
Hi Crist
Your latest bench run sounds promising.7800rpm gives you a chance to have a nice flying ship. I agree with your 11" dia prop but your 5.5"pitch will not make your desired
flight speed. However you can repitch to 6" or 6.5" pitch and come close.Make sure you use APCe props. Their blade thickness,weight and proportions are best for the size you are using.Good luck with your maiden flight.

Walt

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
Crist,

One thing I have found with the APC E 12x6 repitch to a 5 vs the APC E 11x 5.5 is the thrust level. I flew the 11x5.5 on my test ship first, it has 625 sq in and weights 57oz. I am using a AXI 2820/8 and a 3s2p A123 pack (10V) with the rpm set in governor at 8800 and on 64ft lines. The 11x5.5 had a lap time of around 5.8sec, the repitched and cut down 12x6 to a 11.75 x 4 3/4 at the same 8800 rpm has a lap time of 5.0sec.I know the 12x6 has more blade area but I think it also has more undercamber and that give it more effective pitch. I also tested a Rev up 11x5.5 and it also turned around 5.8. Last test was a Top Flite 12x6 power tip and it turned 4.9sec. Again I think the TF has a higher effective pitch because of the Philips entry they use. The amp draw on my set up is in the order of 35amps in air.

The "unload" for electrics comes from the prop hooking up and reducing the slip from the static run position. The ESC then holds the rpm by reducing the amps and thus you get the lower in air amp draw. Since electrics don't increase rpm (if they are in governor mode) it is a way to really see how one prop performs against another at a specific rpm in a specific plan setup.

For me I like a little lower pitch and higher rpm as I believe it allows quicker corner speed recovery (other here don't look at it the same way, but just test the elapsed time for the first 1/8 of the circle after release and the lower pitch will get there quicker every time, after that things change but right after a corner for the first few feet I thing it matters). Post your results and your ship particulars.

Best,         Dennis

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »
Well guys just got back from flying it.  With the 12x6e prop at  "full throttle" it ran the 4 minutes I set and the lap time was 5.5 secs on 52 foot lines eye-to-eye.  It only used 736mah.  Itried the cut down 12x6 to a 11x6 with thinned blades and it basically flew the same for 5 minutes and drew 1150mah.  The last flight I tried a buddy's 10x6 Graupner prop.  Same speed, 5 minutes and it drew 1012mah.  I tached the prop at 8600 rpm just after it spooled up to full throttle.  I'm thinking maybe the ESC isn't allowing full throttle even though I set the throttle high and low limits using the timer (my timer uses a small pot for speed setting).  I have to do some more testing.  The motor, esc, and battery after every flight wern't even warm.  Barely above ambient.  I'm thinking about going higher in pitch if all the electrics are performing like they should.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:48:56 PM by Crist Rigotti »
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
Crist,
As I mentioned, my E-Nobler runs 5.0 s laps with the full 12-6 prop @8100 rpm.

Now I think your Barnstormer will require less power than I need, so lets say you need something on the order of 7900 rpm. Even though I don't understand what exactly the "pitch: means, it must mean something! With a cutdown prop, the rpm must be higher. I needed 9100 rpm on an 11-5 APC on the Nobler to give me 5s laps (this is on 60foot lines, and I tend to fly with my arm pretty extended-- so assume 63 foot diameter circles.

I think it is fascinating  understanding what we need to fly these planes. Fred Krueger and I flew this evening. My Nobler consistently flies faster laps inverted than upright (4.9 vs 5.0 s). Even the SuperCLown flew more "efficiently" inverted than upright. I am unclear why this is the case. I assume the plane is someway cleaner inverted than upright, but I don't understand why (unless the Nobler is trimmed this way, and the SuperClown accidentally is trimmed the same way too).

As I look to the future (for me), I am pretty happy with Nobler sized planes. They are reasonably economical with respect to motors and batteries, and I am happy to stay with my 2100 mAHr cells. So as I look to my next plane (probably not an ARF), I am trying to figure out what makes a plane as "slippery" as a Nobler. Mine really flies well (better than the Pilot), so I am trying to find what matters--airfoil, weight, .....   Any ideas??? Maybe this should be a new post. I guess what I am saying is that what works well for glow PA ([big fat airfoils??],---is it obvious that it will be the same for electric?

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »
Alan,
The difference in lap times between upright and inverted is easy......the earth's rotation.  Remember that you're going the opposite direction when inverted.  We should get an electric clockwise flying airplane and time the laps both upright and inverted and see if my theory holds any water.  Or maybe we go below the equator and try it out.  Anybody from Australia fly electric?  Maybe we can recuit a willing participant in this noteworthy exercise.  BTW is the battery above or below the motor?  I had to ask.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »
Alan,

It is possible that the ship has a little downward pitching moment built into the motor mount beside the high engine mount line (motor mounts above the vertical CG of the ship) that requires you to hold in a little up elevator to fly level in the upright flight mode and also requiring a little more angle of attack which causes a little more drag. In inverted flight the downward moment is now an up moment helping to hold the ship in flight reducing the needed angle of attack and corresponding drag.

This is an interesting observation and seems to indicate that the electrics may benefit from an all in-line design. With wet power we compensate for the difference in drag by adjusting the tank height to get the same up/inverted lap time. The electrics bare all design short comings.

Best,     Dennis

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
Alan,
I think Dennis has a more plausible explanation.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »
Walt,
Looks like you hit it on the head.  My flights were too slow.  I'm going to try some 8 inch pitch props something like 11x8.  I can depitch them too, at least I think I can.  I'll keep you posted as to my progress.
Thanks.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
Crist

Congratulations on your first flights. Yes, I think you need more pitch but I think 8" P
may be too much. If you stick with APCe props until you get the right combo It will
be easier. You can use Windy's method of very hot water or a Heat gun to repitch. I have used both but lately have been using a heat gun for 20 sec then twist and  measure until you get the pitch you want. You said you tached the prop at 8600rpm. My question is did you tach both props at 8600? If you did you Gov. is working . If the 10 x6 turned 8600rpm and the 11x6 was less then your Gov. is not holding the constant RPM you want. I think a 11 x 7 would put you close to your desired lap speed. Good Luck.

Walt       

Alan Hahn

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
This is only my 2 cents. I may be wrong, and everyone else right. I say go with a higher pitch prop. Electric motors aren't your Dad's glow power, so it isn't obvious what is the best combo to try.
That being said, I plan to try the next pitch up from my 12-6 prop. I know I already have it somewhere in the basement. Need to find it.
I find all this fascinating! For the first time you really have control of at least one parameter--the power. Never really had that in glow.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »
Walt,
I picked up a couple of 11x7e props along with a 11x5.5e too.  I'm testing them on the bench to see what gives.  The 8600 rpm is just after turn on and the governor will not hold that rpm.  I'll see what I can determine on the bench tonight.  Especially at the highest rpm the gov will take effect.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
OK on the bench in gov. mode. with an 11x7e the max rpm the governor will take hold is maybe 7400 rpm, 7300 for sure.  I'm looking at a chart that I have that lists line length, rpm, and lap speed, and pitch.  For 52 foot eye-to-eye and a lap speed of 5 seconds (which on 52 footers isn't all that fast IMHO) it says I need 7200-7300 for a 6 pitch.  I think the 11x7 running at 7300 will get me close.  I can cut 1 down to 10 1/2 and see if that will boost the rpm that the gov. will take hold if the lap time is too slow.  I'll see what it does on the bench as far as run time.  Though what didn't make it to 4 mintues on the bench, it ran 5 minutes in the air and everything was just above ambient temps.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »
Update.  I tried an 11x7e cut down to a 10x7e and again the gov. mode max rpm was 7200 rpm.  Looks like the ESC won't allow a higher rpm.  I'm going to try the "high time" mode.  right now I'm running "middle time".  This setting is for more than 2 pole motors.  The high time is supposed to give higher power at the expense of efficiency.  Maybe I need another kind of ESC.  I'll try flying it though with the 11x7 prop at 7200 7300 rpm first.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »
Christ
I am not familiar with the ESC you are using but I know that a Castle creations 35 will
work for you. You can set the parameters using your computer if you buy their
programing software.

Walt

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »
Hi Christ,
You have me confused so please let me lay out the ESC adjustments as I understand them.
The governor has a HI RPM range and a LOW RPM range. The ranges are there for the difference between many pole outrunners and low pole count inrunners. I think you are in LOW range, which is why you never see more than 7200 RPM.

The Timing adjustment is something else entirely. The timing on a Dc electric motor, both brushed and brushless, is naturally retatrded compared to the ideal, because the motor windings are inductive, and it takes time for the current to build to its peak value. The guys with brushed motors would actually rotate the end bell of the motor that carried the brushes in order to add timing advance, and center the actual current pulse in time to co-incide with the magnetic pole faces. With brushless motors, it's just software to achieve the same thing. Actually, efficiency, input power and output power will all peak at the ideal advance for a given load. You probably want to stick to medium or low advance with an outrunner. The Castles seem happy in medium, all the time.

More importantly, take the ESC out of governor mode and put it back into fixed-throttle mode. Then check that the motor and battery combo is capable of achieving the RPM you want. If it doesn't, then the motor/prop/battery combination is wrong. In this setup, the desired RPM should happen with maybe 3/4 to 7/8 throttle, or 1.7  to 1.85 milliseconds of control pulse width.  After verifying that the prop is an appropriate load put the ESC back in the high range governor mode and see if you can adjust to the desired RPM. At least you know the motor is capable of getting there.

Please remind me, what motor are you running, and what is its Kv?

Hope I helped,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
Dean,
I have an Align 25X ESC that has a helicopter governor mode.  It does not support a high, low governor mode like a CC. 

You are porbably right on the timining thing.  I just wanted to try some of the different settings on the ESC to see what effect they had on the run.

I have taken the ESC out of governor mode and then I get about 7800 max rpm.  When I leave the speed control there the rpm will decay slowly throughout the entire run.  When running in the governor mode I started out at full throttle, 7800 rpm, and then slowly turned the speed pot lower till the ESC went on the governor.  This occurs at 7300-7200 rpm.  I haven't checked the milliseconds reading where this occurs.  I'll check it on my servo set up with a pointer.  I'm guesssing that the 3/4 throttle thing you mentioned is about right.  I did set the ESC throttle high and low limits using the timer so I know that the ESC isn't looking for more throttle.

Here is my set up:

E-flite Park 480 1020 Kv motor
Align 25X ESC I have an E-flite 40A airplane ESC that gives me the same rpm's but no governor mode.
E-flite 3S 11.1v 1800mah 20C battery
a timer with a pot for speed control.
12x6e prop
5.5 secs lap time on 52 .015 eye-to-eye lines on a 30 ounce Barnstormer
At the field I can easily get 5 minutes with this set up.

I did order an Eagle Tree Elogger with all the trimmings from Tower with a $20 discount coupon for a Dad's Day present .  y1
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
Crist,
If you put a little bitty prop on--like a 7" or so, will the motor spin it past 7800?
If you look at my data chart above, you can see when my prop starts to spin, the voltage drops from my battery. The initial drop is just the internal resistance of the battery. So with your 3s battery fully charged but unloaded, you would see ~12.6V. As soon as the current flows, you will probably get a ~1V drop or so--it depends on how high the current flow is and particulars about the battery.

So for the sake of argument, if the voltage drops to 11.5V on first turning on, that would mean with your ~1000kV motor, it should turn ~11500 rpm with no load. Typically we try to setup to run at an rpm ~75 to 80% of this value, or no more than 9200 rpm. So I would say a small prop should at least get to this value or higher (in non-governor mode).

At this point it would be nice to have the Eagle Tree or a simpler Watt-meter inline between the ESC and battery to verify that your battery can actually handle to load, but soon you will be able to find out when the Eagle Tree arrives. Welcome to the electric money pit! H^^

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »
Alan,
If I remember right, I did put a smaller prop on it and I know for sure I have seen 8600.  I'll do that tonight to make sure.

Hey, I can always use the FDR on my IC planes!  #^
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 11:40:31 AM »
Hi Christ,
Hi Alan,
Of course a tiny prop will turn faster, a 1/2A prop should turn close to 11,000 RPM on this motor. The Park 480/1020 has about 60 milli-ohms of resistance, so the ground current should be limited to maybe 22A. Above this, or an inflight current of 16 or 17A, the efficiency will be awful, and motor heating will be an issue.

Then I read again ... a 12-6 prop! You ain't turning a 12-6 prop with that motor!
I'll be back in a minute, i'm going to go run some numbers through a motor calculator.
Fortunately, your 30-ounce ship will fly well on just under 200 Watts.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »
Okay, I'm back.
I figure that you'll end up with something between a 10-6 or 11-6 prop turning about 7700 on the governor.
That'll give you about the lap time you desire, and all the power the motor is really capable of. Start with a 10-6 and set the governor for lap time, then add diameter. If you use more than 1400 mAh of battery, then the diameter is too big.
Hope this helps,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 01:08:39 PM »
Dean,
OK, I'll try the smaller props and monitor the mah used.  The numbers you give me are when flying...right?  This is where the E-logger will pay off.  :)!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »
Hi Christ,
The RPM number is on the ground, but it had better be the same in the air!
In-flight current is typically 3/4 of the ground current when on a governor.
You can measure on the ground, or in the air, but it's all secondary to using 75 or 80% of the battery capacity, at most.
So tweak the RPM with the 10-6 (starting at 7700) to get the lap time and then add diameter to improve in-flight power,
each time checking that you don't use more than 1400 mAh out of your 1800 battery.
1400 mAh consumed in 5 minutes works out to under 17A. There will be no need to measure it.
later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Alan Hahn

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
With an APC TE 10-7 on my SuperClown Electric, I needed about 8500rpm to fly comfortably (4.9 s laps with 58 foot lines. This is the chart I posted above. Actually it was a little too fast, but with that motor (the Stock SC Motor from Brodak) and the CC ESC in low governor mode, I couldn't make finer adjustments. As you can see, my average power (watts) was in the 180 range, maxing out at 310 in the vertical maneuvers.

With shorter lines you will need less speed for tension of course, but I am not sure rpms less than 8000 are going to work well with a 10-6 prop. The real question is the overhead stuff of course. But you need to try!

As an aside, I'm replacing the 10 magnet Brodak motor with my own Scorpion 3014 motor with 14 magnets. The main advantage is I can use the high governor mode of the ESC and have a finer throttle adjustment (the timer bits will make a smaller rpm change in the ESC in high gov mode).

Should have it at Sig, both for the Profile Contest on Saturday, and if Crist is there to [also] take the heat, maybe I'll enter it in Old Time. Of course I should fly the Old Time pattern at least once ahead of time. I wonder if Marvin D. will be there to witness the end of OT. :'(

Alan Hahn

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
I note from SSW, that Sig is apparently running out of Nitromethane for its fuel. we should be welcome to fly electric in OT as to conserve the nitro for everyone else! <=

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
Dean,
I checked when the governor kicks in and it is about 75% on my servo throw fixture.  I don't know what the ms reading would be.  Probably right in the ballpark of what you thought.  Next time out I'll try the smaller props and start with a 7 pitch then go from there.  I have a 10x7e that is a cut down 11x7e that I will use and go 4 minutes at first.  Thanks for all your help.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
After many flights today this is what I found.  An 11x7e prop works but the lap speed is about 5 to 5.1.  I can go the 5 minutes needed at this speed.  I tried a 10x7e (cut down 11x7e) on the governor and surprise the lap time was the same as the 11x7e.  I could go the required 5 minutes.  I then tried a 10x8e (cut down 12x8e) and on the governor and the lap speed ws 4.5 but I could only go 4 minutes.  4 minutes was enough at this lap speed.  I could clearly hear the plane "singing" while on the governor. Several flights were made and OTS patterns completed with this set up.  The 4.5 laps speed didn't seem too fast at all and the line tension was good.  The average of both runs I used 1333 mah and 20a and 221 watts.  I'm leaving a little on the table so I'll fine tune the set up.  This was on 52 eye-to-eye .015 and I have some .012 lines on order.  I'll fine tune my set up with those lines.  I have to admit hearing the plane "singing" while on the governor was pretty neat.  I did notice how smooth flying electric was.  Thanks everybody for your help.  I'll keep you posted as to my progress.  On a different thread!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »
I'm curious what tune was it singing? Was it "I'm in the money"???

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2008, 08:15:50 AM »
I think it was "Happy days are here again."   y1
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
Remember, it was the motor singing, and its got its 3 brushless leads right into your wallet and sucking the cash out like there is no tomorrow!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
Since Sig is apparently out of Nitro, we should think of something cool to do at the contest!

(I normally used the contest as an excuse to stock up on fuel). However I should do a basement inventory!

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »
Alan,
The difference in lap times between upright and inverted is easy......the earth's rotation.  Remember that you're going the opposite direction when inverted.  We should get an electric clockwise flying airplane and time the laps both upright and inverted and see if my theory holds any water.  Or maybe we go below the equator and try it out.  Anybody from Australia fly electric?  Maybe we can recruit a willing participant in this noteworthy exercise.  BTW is the battery above or below the motor?  I had to ask.
I'm in the Netherlands (N-hemisphere) and I had 5.17 and 5.19 laps (71 ft lines). Just shimmed the battery..... ;D
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
I am considering using an Align 35G ESC on my electric Ringmaster. I wonder if anyone has experience with this ESC in governor mode. That is the feature that I'm looking to use. My current ESC does not support governor mode.  >:(

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here