News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:32:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: electric motors and bench testing  (Read 7979 times)

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: electric motors and bench testing
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »
John,
I have an Align 25X ESC in my Barnstormer in Governor mode.  What do you want to know?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2008, 08:08:05 AM »
Hi Crist: Is your ESC the 5 or 6 V, that Horizon shows ?? Also having seen it fly and it is a cool set up ( Why no pics ) would you change anything or is it to soon to know ??

300 mile detour to go flying, excuses , excuses  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
Hi Crist,

Well I have a couple of Align 35G ESCs (arrived yesterday) and next week I will get two Will Hubin timers setup for the Align ESCs. Looking over the programming instructions it appears that there 3 settings under "Aircraft Mode." 1. Normal Airplane, 2. Helicopter 1 and 3. Helicopter 2.

Are you running in Helicopter 2 mode?? Will Hubin is setting up his timers using an Align 35G and he says that Helicopter 1 mode does NOT appear to be a governor mode. I have not tried programming either ESC yet, so I'm fishing for information to save me possible grief. Assuming that helicopter 2 is governor mode, it is not clear (from the instructions) if you can set the ESC for hard brake when in helicopter mode. Do you know??

Crist or anyone else, Thanks for any replies to these questions.

Leester: The Align 35G is 5 volt BEC and the Align 35X is 6 volt --- I don't know about the Align 25 ESCs. Will Hubin timers need the 5 volt vs the 6 volts since the micro-controllers he uses are only rated to 5.5 volts. I think he could possibly work around a 6 volt BEC but I'm not sure.

John Cralley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:12:19 PM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »
Lee,
Mine is a 6V.  That's what I won off eBay.

John,
Helicopter 1 is just a soft start with no governer.
Helicopter 2 is soft start with governer and no brake.  You can not have a hard brake in heli 2 mode.  I don't know about heli 1 mode.  Nobody would want to use heli 1 mode anyway...why would you?

Will has added a regulator to his timers to handle the 6V esc.  They are designated HV or something like that.  Many helicopter ESC are 6V because it gives the servos extra speed.  I just added 2 diodes to the + wire coming from the ESC to the timer to bring down the voltage to 4.8V
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
Crist,

Thanks for the information. Sounds like helicopter 2 is the way for me to go. I'll have to experiment with props, RPM, etc as I get into using governor mode on my Ringmasters.

I see that the Align 35 has three throttle response speed settings. Are you using the "Quick response" mode with the governor mode (heli-2)?

Next question (which gets back to the theme of this thread) how do you get the governor to kick in in bench testing? In other words, how do you increase the load on the motor so that the governor takes over and maintains the set RPM? Maybe you just have to experiment with this during test flights. I can see my wallet is going to be drained for an in flight data recorder!! LOL

Finally, do you find the heli-2 governor mode from the Align ESC is comparable to other brands of ESC with governor mode. There is a big difference in price and I'm basically a cheapskate.

Anyway thanks for the info. I hope to have this thing under way by next weekend.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »
Hey how about showing some pictures of your bench set ups. I'd like to get some ideas so I can set up something myself. TIA
Leester
ama 830538

Alan Hahn

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
Here's my "saw horse" setup.

oops, I don't seem to find my photos! I'll look more carefully.

Here is a link to my earlier post with my bench setup.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=9256.msg80167#msg80167

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here