News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brushed Motor (gasp) break-in  (Read 764 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brushed Motor (gasp) break-in
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:54:53 PM »
Way back in the days of slot cars, we used to buy bottles of some magic elixer into which we would immerse a new motor, and then run it at low speed for a while.  The brushes wore in, not out, and the fluid carried the worn material away.  The result was way improved brush/commutator fit and a motor that was squeekey clean inside.

Anyone know what the stuff was, and where to get it?

I have a couple of applications where a brushed motor will be just fine, and I want them to last!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brushed Motor (gasp) break-in
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:20:27 PM »
My understanding (from a misspent youth reading RC magazines -- who would have imagined the brushless motor takeover?) is that plain old distilled water works fine.  If at all possible, re-grease the bearings and brushes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:05:16 AM »
I used to race 1/10 scale Electric RC cars during the 80's and we also used distilled water for "running in brushes". Another popular "mod" was to chamfer the edges of the brush face where it met the commutator apparently to reduce the breakup of the brushes as they passed over the slots between the segments. "Timing" brushes (On fixed can motors used in "standard" classes) by stepping the brush to advance it's relative position was another trick.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:23:13 PM »
Yup, it was water. When I started in electric RC water was what I was told to use in manuals and on forum on the net. Would connect a D cell battery to it and just drop it in and let it run til the battery died.

bob branch

Offline Lionel Smith

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
A couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in normal water and run the motor in that at full speed for a few minutes. Keep checking the brushes to see when they are bed nicely to the commutator.

Then a drop of brasso (brass or silver polish liquid) on each bush run again for a minute, this time not in the water, make sure to then submerge the motor back in the water soap mixture to wash out the brasso in the bushes. Lube the bushes again with some thin oil when finished as most the bushes are an oil lite bush and absorbs oil to keep the bush lubricated.

I have been doing that for years and normally increase the RPM by 1500 under no load and the amp draw goes down.

Lionel
Forever learning to keep the pointy end away from the ground!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Excellent, I'll try it.  Thanks.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here