News:

• May 16, 2024, 08:06:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Motor Mount  (Read 778 times)

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Electric Motor Mount
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »
I am at the point of building the nose of my new plane.  This is my first electric and I guess I'm fearful of building the nose too weak.  My plan is to add triangle stock between the two formers to the spinner backplate.  I also have a plywood plate (not pictured) that will connect the two formers together.

The airplane is my own design/look with 57" span and 635 sq/in area.  The motor is an AXI2826/10. 

I appreciate any suggestions.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Re: Electric Motor Mount
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm with Ty.  Get the G-10 material from Bob.  It's lighter than what you got but incredibly rigid also.  Once you use it you won't go back to plywood.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
Zuriel,
Your fuse looks very good. I have used this construction on a few ships. It looks like you have used at least 3/16" plywood for the mount wall, this is good. A few have tried to use 1/8" and found the motors would move, rear external bearings were used to stabilize this. With the thicker mount wall the rear bearing is not needed. One thing I would recommend is to use a couple 1/8" counter sunk wood screws through the plywood doublers into the center of the mount wall, then add the triangular stock, you could add the glass also. One thing we forget sometimes about electrics is that we still have the torque of the 46, or 60 size engine that is spinning the prop and must have structure to handle it.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »
Thanks Ty and Dan.  Ty,  I plan to reenter the stunt world this coming year, assuming we are here after the 21st that is. VD~

Dennis,  You are correct.  That is 3/16" for the mount.  If I understand you correctly...put two 1/8" wood screws through the sides of the fuselage into the mount?  Should be no problem.  I do plan to glass the nose fro additional strength.
Thanks for the input.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
I'm using some 1/8" PC board. Should work OK.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
Zuriel,
Yes, two on each side, this is one place you want to use good epoxy not CA for the mount. One other thing you should do is a little weight and balance calculation as you go along. If possible allow the battery to be moved for and aft to adjust the balance. I have a profile that has the same motor and use a 4S1P 3850 mah pack. The pack position for balance at around the 25% back from the LE needs the pack about half way over the wing. You can just put the battery forward of the wing and add tail weight (or more clear coat on the tail), that's were the balance calc comes in handy.

Best,            DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here